PDA

View Full Version : Pizza

KLeth
2006-04-18, 03:50
Here in the easter holidays, we did a lot of daytrips.
One of the days we baked Pizza on our Trangia. In the "Stovie Challenge" thread there were some discussion on Pizza baking. I elaborated a bit on dropkicks "Pizza in a can" and desided to try it out, We used our Trangia stormkitchen with a LBP burner, but this can be done using any kind of fuel and burner.

We had bought a packet of "Maizena" Pizza-dough (http://www.danish-deli-food.com/English/shop/productdetail.asp?recid=344) but I guess that any pizza dough mix will do. This requires nothing but 75ml water. We also brought some pizza stuffing and a disposable aluminium pie pan that fits our largest pot. I had prepared a small spacer from the bottom of a pop can, this went into the bottom of the pot (three small rocks could be used instead of the prepared spacer).
We mixed the dough, lubricated the inside of the pie pan with a bit of vegetable oil and then a portion of the dough were shaped to fit the pie pan. The dough were placed in the pan and fitted to the sides. In went the filling, the pizza were placed in the pot on top of the spacer and the lid were placed on the pot. It had to bake at low heat for around 20min but the result was great! :eating:
The Pizza could easily be lifted out of the pan to allow reuse for the next Pizza that went into the pot shortly after.

My goal now is to make Pizza based entirely on dried food for use on long hikes :smile:

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g50/kleth/Hiking/Pizza_in_trangia.jpg http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g50/kleth/Hiking/Pizza_on_trangia.jpg http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g50/kleth/Hiking/Pizza_crust.jpg

Iceman
2006-04-18, 09:37
KLeth, you da' man! :biggrin:

Now look what you have done. Now I have to go buy the gas burner attachment for my Trangia! Pizza at snow camp next year, I cannot wait!

Great idea and great pictures, thanks a bunch!

Lanthar
2006-04-18, 10:25
I wonder... would bake using the simmer ring for the trangia?

Skidsteer
2006-04-18, 21:13
I wonder... would bake using the simmer ring for the trangia?

I bet it would. Brilliant! :biggrin:

KLeth
2006-04-19, 01:13
Iceman, don't think you would need to bring an additional burner to bake at low heat. The more space from burner to pizza, the lower heat but better heat distribution. As far as I remember from your "Mega Cache" thread, you have the Optimus Nova and a Trangia. I think you should be able to do with one of those.
As Lanthar writes, the simmer ring for the Trangia will probably do.

- But hey! Who am I to argue against a good argument for buying new gear :biggrin:

<EDIT>
In my region, there are two Trangia compatible LBP-burners.
The Markill burner for Tuareg, it's cheap and has a good long hose allowing the use of weedburner canisters w.o. burning liquid LBP. It's disadvantage is that it can pop loose from the Trangia making the burner head tilt which can be pretty annoying.
The Primus version is absolutely the best, but it has a short hose.
Both have a generator coil to allow the use of liquid LBP or Butane and Markill even makes a stand that holds a standard threadded canister upside down.

I have both burners and use them frequently :smile:
</EDIT>

Iceman
2006-04-19, 02:36
Good point, maybe I should try baking with my Optimus first. Just re-read your thread starter, 20 minutes to bake, sounds easy. I will try it soon. I am thinking pepperoni, mushroom and cashew.

Oh mama', now I am hungry! I can't wait! :elefant:

Lanthar
2006-04-19, 12:44
- But hey! Who am I to argue against a good argument for buying new gear :biggrin:

Hey, I just figured it was a better argument for me to get around to buying a trangia set to play with, rather than arguement for someone else to not purchase another piece of gear... :biggrin:

I just wish that Trangia made a set with the Ti Pots right off the bat (rather than having to purchase them seperately)... then again... maybe it's another excuse to 'experimentally' compare the duossal to the ti... hmm...

Skidsteer
2006-04-19, 19:18
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g50/kleth/Hiking/Pizza_in_trangia.jpg http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g50/kleth/Hiking/Pizza_on_trangia.jpg http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g50/kleth/Hiking/Pizza_crust.jpg

I've seen lots of photos of baked trail food that looked barely edible.

That pizza looks great!

Skidsteer

KLeth
2006-04-20, 01:30
I just wish that Trangia made a set with the Ti Pots right off the bat (rather than having to purchase them seperately)... then again... maybe it's another excuse to 'experimentally' compare the duossal to the ti... hmm...
My optimal setup is a complete Ti Trangia - Windscreen and all :biggrin:
The DUOSSAL setup, is around here, a lot more expensive than the standard AL configuration, but the DUOSSAL equipment is very good and sturdy.
We tend to use the DUOSSAL on training runs (every weekend 15-35km) to reduce the risk of destroying the Ti pots and also to spare them a bit.

I've seen lots of photos of baked trail food that looked barely edible.
That pizza looks great!
Thank you Skidsteer - I find it important to be able to enjoy our meals on hikes. Enjoyable meals adds to the total pleasure of the trip and helps us getting enough energy to complete the trip in fashion. But the variety and quality of the food also adds to the total weight.

Action shot from last year. Baking in our Ti pots
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g50/kleth/Hiking/Baking_in_TiPots_2005.jpg
Fresh baked bread with canned liverspread (Total weight for two persons, excluding fuel, 330g)

Iceman
2006-04-20, 01:35
Mmmmm.........liverspread. :biggrin:

john pickett
2006-04-20, 12:12
Not to get TOO off topic, but "liverspread" reminds me of a practical joke I pulled years ago. Found "chopped pork brains in milk sauce" in a can at a local grocerie.
Took the can and a pack of crackers to work ( OR in a large hospital )
At supper time, wandered around the OR offering a "snack" to co-workers.
Ran like hell.

Chopped pork brains in milk sauce are favored by some in scrambled eggs.
John Pickett :captain:

Jim Henderson
2006-04-20, 12:19
Oh man, now you done it. Next backpacking trip I will have to have the boys lug some instant pizza mix, cheese, etc and do some up. I think I'll shoot for the next 2 or 3 weeks.

We love real food on camping trips and this sounds like an alternative to my usual frozen steak wrapped in my sleeping bag first night meal. Mmmm hot pizza on the trail.

Heck maybe I'll do both.

Jim Henderson

Iceman
2006-04-21, 01:42
Mmmmm......chopped pork brain. :biggrin:

Iceman
2006-11-14, 10:25
Kleth, I havent forgotten about this one! I am thinking about saving some of our Turkey trimmings, and baking a turkey, potato, stuffing and cheese pizza on the trail. Bring along a bit of cranberry as a side, and Yum! I intend to practice this one on the back porch before our first snow trip this winter...

I will use the Nova, and save the cash... No more room for more campy stuff around here....Who am I kidding, I will probably order the Trangia accessory and hide it under the bed...

Turk
2006-11-14, 22:44
what are you talking ..... ohhh ya.... never mind...... silly americans....

have turkey dinner back to back with christmas.... *tsk tsk*

On a more serious note, thinking of thanksgiving foods made me think how easy it would be
to bake several types of pies. And even go dehydrated. Anyone have experience with some
type of trail pie crust ? what is easy to pack, hard to burn? is it better to go with something
a little more flaky that doesnt rise much?

KLeth
2006-11-15, 01:40
Sounds yummy Iceman - Nice idea! Bon apétit!
Looking forward to get Turkey around christmas again, but I prefer it served with lingon-berry instead of cranberry :eating:
Remember that the Trangia gas-burner is not well suited for cold conditions unless you burn liquid LBP.

I'm looking into buying a new Trangia, since they have released a new "Trangia Ultralight HA" (http://www.horydoly.cz/vypsat.php?id=6524) (not listed on www.trangia.se but advertised in the "STF-Turist" magasine).
It is made of anodized aluminium alloy, which has made it possible to reduce the thickness of the metal, making it 20-25% lighter in total(total of 865g incl. the classic trangia burner). If my Trangia Ti-pots are lighter than the new anodized aluminium alloy pots, I will use the new windscreen with the Ti-pots :biggrin:

KLeth
2006-11-15, 01:48
On a more serious note, thinking of thanksgiving foods made me think how easy it would be to bake several types of pies. And even go dehydrated. Anyone have experience with some type of trail pie crust ? what is easy to pack, hard to burn? is it better to go with something a little more flaky that doesnt rise much?

We have done pizza-pie using pizza dough mix and there should be no problem in doing pies the same way, using a pie dough mix. Interessting idea, dehydrating fill/toppings for a pie.

About baking it without burning it, this can be done the way we do pizza and bread, by nesting a pot inside another with a bit of spacing betwen. Another possibillity could be to make the pie in a billycan and place it some distance from the campfire to allow for slow baking.

dropkick
2006-11-15, 03:08
what are you talking ..... ohhh ya.... never mind...... silly americans....

have turkey dinner back to back with christmas.... *tsk tsk*

On a more serious note, thinking of thanksgiving foods made me think how easy it would be
to bake several types of pies. And even go dehydrated. Anyone have experience with some
type of trail pie crust ? what is easy to pack, hard to burn? is it better to go with something
a little more flaky that doesnt rise much?
I have turkey for one of the days and prime rib for the other (with the cost of prime rib I need a holiday as an excuse to buy it anyway).
And I buy a turkey or 2 when they go on sale after the holidays, freeze it and have it later in the year.

You can make your own pie crust mix:
cut 1/3 cup shortening into 1 cup flour (cut = mash together with a fork), put it in a bag (it will store almost indefinitely with no problem, unless it gets moist - and then you'd see the mold)

When you want to use:
add water slowly (by teaspoonfuls) while stirring until it starts to clump into a ball
sprinkle with flour and flatten into a pie pan with hands (will be sticky without the flour)

Or just use a biscuit mix like Krusteaz

Hollowdweller
2006-11-17, 16:18
Looks great. I'm gonna share this on another forum I'm on:adore:

KLeth
2006-11-19, 11:29
Looks great. I'm gonna share this on another forum I'm on:adore:
Feel free to link to my pictures if you desire.

atraildreamer
2006-11-20, 04:42
Too bad you didn't come up with this idea sooner...Sarbar could have used it to bake her wedding cake! :eating: