PDA

View Full Version : Update from Camp Justice - 19 April 2006

SGT Rock
2006-04-19, 10:30
Before I start, I just want to let you know I will have to limit some information so that nothing classified gets on the web. Things that seem small and unimportant can be tied into a bigger picture by people fighting us over here, so I don't want to say a whole lot about how we do some things no matter how small that may be.

As you may or may not know, I am currently at Camp Justice in Baghdad Iraq. For those of you who were here before, it used to be Camp Bonsai. The camp is mostly an Iraqi post controlled by the 1st Brigade of the 6th Iraqi Army Division. But our Iraqi Police unit's HQ is also on this camp. Up until recently it was named the Public Order Division of the Ministry of Interior, but it is now called the 2nd National Police Division.

The 2nd NP Division was formed early on as separate brigades known as Public Order Brigades who's mission was to provide interim protection in places where law enforcement didn't have enough people to provide the necessary coverage. They eventually consolidated them all under a single Division HQ. As the Iraqi Police forces have been getting better, the National Police divisions have been moved to more of the counter insurgency operations such as patrolling highways, checkpoints on dangerous roads, hostage rescue, and other missions.

The National Police have not had as much attention on the equipping, manning, and training of forces as the Iraqi Army has. The IA (Iraqi Army) is looking good and doing very well in many of the operations I have seen them in. Now the coalition is focusing on getting the MOI (Ministry of Interior) forces to the same level of proficiency as the IA. Right now we are mostly busy on getting equipment and facilities up to par. Training still needs to happen in order to get the forces to the same level, but it is hard to train a force as they fight a war that was there before they stood up.

My assessment so far is the NP forces want to do a good job but just don't know what they don't know. As we equip them, it may be possible for us to take some of the units and train them up to be more cohesive and operate better together. But to caveat that, they do some things VERY well. They are aggressive on objective and take the fight to the enemy as I have witnessed. They recover quickly when they take casualties and usually want to get whoever started something with them. They also do great on finding out information from people in the communities which has always been a problem for US forces working in Iraq.

As for us, we all seem to stay busy. We work many hours a day to get them people, equipment, and facilities to do what they need to do. It is sometimes a fight with other coalition forces that feel the Iraqi forces inferior and we shouldn't waste or time with them. Apparently they failed to see how the big exit sign for the US from Iraq is lit up. Other us forces seem to be very supportive, and I think if we keep pressing on we can eventually get them with the program and make it happen with their support.

I don't get a lot of free time, and when I do I spend it chatting with my wife and sometimes my kids. I can't wait to get back home to them on mid-tour leave.

Anyway. I have more to say, but not much time to say it in. I will post more on what is going on at a later date.

baseballswthrt
2006-04-19, 10:34
Glad to hear that things are going well for you! Please continue to keep us posted and we will continue to keep you and all the troops in our prayers. Thank you for your service! :adore:

Streamweaver
2006-04-19, 13:39
Howdy Sarge! Glad to hear you sre doing ok!!! Take care of yourself!! :captain:

Rage in a Cage
2006-04-20, 00:19
It is great to hear that you are doing well. My family and I are very grateful for the job that you and the other fine men and women are doing there and around the world. We Thank you

KLeth
2006-04-20, 03:08
Good to hear all is as well as can be - Take care!

zammy
2006-05-09, 07:01
French Connection from Israel, that is.
maybe he'll hop in for anice cup of Middle east coffee.
take care, I know what's happenning over there, been there, done it.

SGT Rock
2006-05-12, 03:52
Howdy again all. Things here as always are hard to pin down as to exactly what is happening at any time. Sometimes the bad guys seem not so bad and the good guys seem like they are really bad guys in disguise. It can be hard to know what your friends are really doing here. Anyway...

Recently saw where it is proposed another 30,000 troops be pulled out by the end of the year which is great news. I would like to think the team I am on and others like that are making it possible, but who knows. I hear the insurgents have called that proof of their breaking our backs LOL :rolleyes:

If they only knew; we would have left 3 years ago if the trouble hadn't started up. They can be their own worst enemy here.

And Zammy, I got your e-mail. Thanks for the invitation but for now I doubt I will get the chance to go to Israel although that would be a welcome break. Maybe someday though - I would love to see some of those mountains you guys have there.

ValerieH
2006-07-04, 00:19
Found this site while searchng for info. about Camp Justice. I know someone who was recently transferred there from another FOB. Most of the articles that come up in a search are old. It is awesome that I found this site. I will be checking it now on a regular basis. I have a great love and admiration for our soldiers. Our soldiers are just the greatest, we appreciate everything you all do. You all are in my prayers hurry home.

SGT Rock
2006-07-04, 06:24
Found this site while searchng for info. about Camp Justice. I know someone who was recently transferred there from another FOB. Most of the articles that come up in a search are old. It is awesome that I found this site. I will be checking it now on a regular basis. I have a great love and admiration for our soldiers. Our soldiers are just the greatest, we appreciate everything you all do. You all are in my prayers hurry home.

Probably just moved here from FOB Falcon. They moved some life support guys here to keep us straight. Thanks for posting.

ValerieH
2006-07-04, 14:53
Happy 4th of July(as happy as it can be for you all over there) He was actually moved from Prosperity. Which looked much better than what I see of Justice. I hope everyone is doing well there.

john pickett
2006-07-04, 15:24
Sarge,
I would like to take a moment to thank you, Jim Tanker, and the brave men and women, volunteers all, who have put personal safety, loved ones, comfort and gain aside to serve our country in the armed forces. You are all the embodiment of freedom; the single quality which leads people from all over the world to seek to enter our country and enjoy the fruits which you and others like you have earned on our behalf.
Again, Thank you.
John Pickett

Mini-Mosey
2006-07-05, 09:58
I've said it before and I'll say it again: God bless, keep, and strengthen you and all our troops as well as all your families.

Take-a-knee
2006-07-05, 11:32
All of you guys who never served in the military and really want to do something patriotic I have an excellent idea. Join the NRA, if you already have, upgrade your membership to life membership.

SGT Rock
2006-07-05, 13:46
We had a great time this 4th of July. Thanks for all the support ya'll.