PDA

View Full Version : How to sew a velcro strip to a hammock?

Verlager
2006-04-22, 02:46
I just received a nice biker quilt from Jacks'R'Better and I want to use it to line the inside of my Speer hammock. So I first have to buy a 10' strip of hook and loop tape. I have a $400 Jenome sewing machine.

Then the question becomes, "How do I sew it?" Pin it? And then sew it? Polyester thread OK? What needle type and gage?

Just Jeff
2006-04-22, 02:51
Lining the inside of the hammock means you'll compress the insulation. Did you mean outside? Make sure you get the location of the velcro in the right place so you don't 1) have air gaps between the quilt and hammock if it's too loose, or 2) compress the insulation if it's pulled too tight. And remember that occupying the hammock will change how tightly the quilt fits.

I don't pin my velcro - it's basically two straight edges you're sewing together, so no need for pins, IMO. Polyester thread - I use Gutermann's, same small needle I use for nylon. Forget the number - it's the orange Singer one.

Hope it helps!

peter_pan
2006-04-22, 13:14
I just received a nice biker quilt from Jacks'R'Better and I want to use it to line the inside of my Speer hammock. So I first have to buy a 10' strip of hook and loop tape. I have a $400 Jenome sewing machine.

Then the question becomes, "How do I sew it?" Pin it? And then sew it? Polyester thread OK? What needle type and gage?

Do you mean the outside...As JJ states lining the inside will result in compression...

BTW that quilt can be suspended without any additional suspension system.

Pan

brian
2006-04-22, 14:31
Whoa! Biggie problem with what Jeff said! No orange singer needles for you!

Janome machines take Schmetz "Universal" needles, NOT Singer's! I have used a Janome as my primary machine for about a year and a half, and I am pretty positive that this is true for all Janome's. For velcro (and most other purposes), I reccomend size 90\14 needles or 80\12 (the two sizes I use for my tarps), you will be able to find them at any sewing store or in a multi pack at walmart.

Brian
OES

Verlager
2006-04-22, 15:31
Lining the inside of the hammock means you'll compress the insulation. Did you mean outside? Make sure you get the location of the velcro in the right place so you don't 1) have air gaps between the quilt and hammock if it's too loose, or 2) compress the insulation if it's pulled too tight. And remember that occupying the hammock will change how tightly the quilt fits.

I don't pin my velcro - it's basically two straight edges you're sewing together, so no need for pins, IMO. Polyester thread - I use Gutermann's, same small needle I use for nylon. Forget the number - it's the orange Singer one.

Hope it helps!Yes, this should start me off just fine. Whooops! I better stick with the recommended standard sewing machine needle as per brian's post, and thanks, btw, brian!

Although the Jacks 'R Better Biker Quilt (http://www.jacksrbetter.com/Biker%20Quilt.htm) measures a generous 84" x 64", it still doesn't fit around my Speer hammock with me in it. What a bad break! So, I have abandoned plans to modify the Speer hammock with an attachment velcro strip.

I wrapped the hammock in the BQ and then crawled in, but the velcro separated at waist level and I was left with about 4" of uncloseable space between the two BQ velcro sides.

So, I guess I will use the BQ as a sleeping bag inside the hammock.

Just Jeff
2006-04-22, 21:45
Whoa! Biggie problem with what Jeff said! No orange singer needles for you!

Doh! Yeah, that came out wrong. All I was trying to say is that I use the same small needles for velcro as I use for standard nylon projects, and I haven't had a problem on the small amount of velcro that I sew. I didn't mean to imply that he should use Singer needles on his machine. It sure sounded that way, though - sorry about that.

Verlager - I think you might be able to find a way to attach it to the outside. If you use it inside, you'll get no insulation value from it on the bottom of the hammock, so it would be best to just use it as a top quilt with some other bottom insulation. But that's a mighty big/heavy top quilt! IMO, it would be worth the effort to find a way to make your first idea work.

Maybe if you sewed an "extender", like the sleeping bag extenders, that would run down the center to make the quilt wider in the places you needed it. Like a diamond-shaped piece to go over your waist, with velcro to attach it to the BQ. That might give you enough room to use it around your hammock.