PDA

View Full Version : An argument for bear containers

dropkick
2006-04-23, 08:08
Tom Mangan (Two Heel Drive (http://tommangan.net/twoheeldrive/)) found a blog about a bear from one of my local newspapers (even if you don't care about bear containers the pics are worth the look):

www.billingsgazette.net/h/blogs/outdoors/?p=321

dropkick
2006-04-23, 08:45
Was thinking about this post and thought I should add this (also found through Two Heel Drive (http://tommangan.net/twoheeldrive/archives/2005_10.html#002448)*) It's an argument against bear containers of any kind.
- I kind of agree with it.

www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/bear_predation_jordan.html

*I linked the THD above to Tom Mangan's blog about this - adds more and worth a read.

Iceman
2006-04-23, 10:55
Remember this one from the Moose Security thread Turk started? Here was my suggestion:

http://www.waterstrider.com/bear-repellent-portable-electric-fence.htm

Maybe the time for this handy device is coming?

Or this one;

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=11101&storeId=10001&productId=44954&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=15707&isFirearm=Y

Buggyman
2006-04-23, 16:17
A while back a friend of mine was showing me some slides of his backpacking trip on Kodiak Island in Alaska. His dad was a civilian emplyee at the Naval base there at the time. I couldn't help but notice that in the backpacking slides he was wearing in a holster the biggest handgun I have ever seen. He later showed it to me at his house, and it is still the biggest handgun I have ever seen. I believe it was called a Desert Eagle, but I could be wrong. In any case, it was a whole lot bigger and heavier than my 9mm Glock--which, by the way, I rarely carry while hiking. He said it was common practice to carry such a weapon up there for protection from the huge Kodiak Island brown bears. He also said that the campsites at the designated campground were fully enclosed even on top with a strong chain link fence sort of like a zoo cage. It gives new meaning to the phrase "caged animal."

GregH
2006-04-23, 20:32
A friend of mine used to live there, too, and he always carried a huge 44 Magnum with the long barrel and some kind of heavy load when he was hiking. He joked that it was to shoot whoever he was with in the leg so the bear would go after them first!

john pickett
2006-04-24, 13:59
Dropkick,
Didn't know you're from Billings. Mary Pickett, a staff writer and columnist for the Gazette is my first cousin.
John Pickett

dropkick
2006-04-25, 01:02
Dropkick,
Didn't know you're from Billings. Mary Pickett, a staff writer and columnist for the Gazette is my first cousin.
John Pickett
Actually I'm in the Missoula area.
I'm a native Montanan, and we (natives) consider anywhere in the state as local. Anything under 300 miles is next door.

Her name is familiar to me though, Probably due to the newspapers, as Lee Enterprises owns most of the Montana papers there is some trade off in stories among them.

SowthEfrikan
2006-05-24, 21:02
I've not yet been into serious bear country and my Ursack has really just been to ward off rodents. I'm hoping the conditional approval will last until I get to Yosemite and all those lekker places.

Has everyone watched Grizzly Man? What was that man thinking? There was an Inuit who stated the case very well, I thought - Treadwell habitualised bears into thinking humans harmless, and disregarded rules these people have applied around the animals for thousands of years.

dropkick
2006-05-25, 01:59
Treadwell was an idiot, a bad outdoorsman, and quite possibly not right in the head.

Grizzly Man played on PBS many times over several days, and while I didn't watch the whole thing from start to finish, I looked at several parts of the show and think I saw most of it.
I couldn't stand watching it for long periods, as everytime I turned to it he (Treadwell) would do or say something stupid and I would get disgusted.

I don't know why they thought he was worth a whole movie dedicated to him. Basically his only real accomplishments were taking some fairly good films of grizzlies (if you removed his delusional dialog), and getting himself and his girlfriend killed.

dgrav
2006-05-25, 11:25
Treadwell was so over dramatic that the movie felt more like a spoof such as "This is Spinal Tap" than a real documentary.

Jim Henderson
2006-05-25, 12:35
I always love when Mother Nature shows this type nincompoop, the real meaning of wild life.

Too bad that it seems the toothy creatures are beginning to look at man once again as a food source.

I spent a weekend at Death Valley a few months back with my two boys and noticed the coyotes were a lot more visible and willing to roam thru the campground. The Ranger seemed very disturbed and mentioned that the coyotes were wandering around the dry wash behind our camp and so on. His manner was far more disturbed than his warning. I think he was worried that eventually some kid in the camp ground would get harmed by an overly aggressive coyote that has been slowly learning that humans mean food. I won't be surprised to eventually read about this in the news.

I probably should watch that movie with my wife so that once again I can show her the red of tooth and claw side of those mother nature flicks. And I will probably get a sick laugh.

Just my not PC opinion,

Jim Henderson

Take-a-knee
2006-05-25, 19:37
I'd be willing to bet that those coyotes wouldn't be quite so brash if someone who could shoot would work them over on a regular basis with a 243. But wait a minute... Death Valley is in Kalifornia, the "good land" that has banned most guns. I probably won't cry when someone gets eaten, I just hope it'll be a PETA member.