PDA

View Full Version : Some type of pillow?

dropkick
2006-04-23, 07:33
I had a small sack (about 6" x 4") filled loosely with poly beads from an old beanbag that I made. But it died the other day and I didn't feel like trying to gather those little danged beads up to make a new one. So now I'm looking for a replacement.
Going to be tough finding something as light and comfortable as my old pillow. So untill I either find a defunct beanbag and make a new one, or find a good replacement I guess I'll be using a bundle of spare clothes.

Take-a-knee
2006-04-23, 09:57
Thermarest makes a little thin fleece pocket that you can slip an insulating garment like a down vest into that makes a good pillow. It is very light and it doesn't slip around like a stuff sack.

GregH
2006-04-23, 11:22
I also use a small inflatable pillow that I picked up cheap ($2-3) at Oshman's paired with that pillow case that Thermarest makes.

Just Jeff
2006-04-23, 12:39
I have a thermarest stuff sack that's lined with fleece. Use it as a stuff sack during the day, and turn it inside out with something soft inside for a pillow at night. For me, it beats carrying extra weight just for a pillow.

Kea
2006-04-23, 22:37
I shamelessly bought the folding Coleman Camping pillow at WallyWorld. It's 8 whole ounces, but it stuffs into a drybag nicely, and is completely what I need to keep the kink out of my neck. It's also uniform and non-lumpy, which is a plus for me. :)

Seeker
2006-04-24, 00:24
i sewed a piece of fleece to my sleeping bag's silnylon stuff sack for use as a pillow.

or you might find some replacement beanbag 'beans' at a place like joanne or hancock fabric.

MacGyver
2006-04-24, 08:48
I take my fleece and stuff it into its own sleeve. This makes a nice, soft pillow that is big enough to serve its purpose for me.

Regards,
-MacGyver
GA-->ME

JAK
2006-04-24, 10:44
I discovered once that a small pillow on the inside of the hood of your sleeping bag can be very compact and comfortable. Doesn't always work. Depends on your setup and temperature and so forth. Worth a try though.

Iceman
2006-04-25, 01:33
I cram my soiled underwear into my soiled hiking socks and use this as a pillow, and the nice thing is....Oh, who am I trying to kid? :biggrin:

Seeker
2006-04-25, 09:47
I cram my soiled underwear into my soiled hiking socks and use this as a pillow, and the nice thing is....Oh, who am I trying to kid? :biggrin:

yeah... we already know your dirty secret... you carry a cot and a full sized pillow... hyoh... and you're big enough to carry it comfortably... no judgment here, man... :biggrin:

john pickett
2006-04-25, 13:57
cram my soiled underwear into my soiled hiking socks and use this as a pillow, and the nice thing is....Oh, who am I trying to kid?

We believe you! Don't need to apologise for the truth! When the temps below 0 degrees Kelvin; the nasty's in your skivvies aren't going anywhere and the odor can't be smelled by a frostbitten nose. :damnmate:
John Pickett in Texas where it's always 70 degrees :biggrin:

dropkick
2006-04-27, 07:10
I got hold of your uncropped avatar photo, and I think everyone here is interested to see a few of the things you've packed in.
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-3/1165284/snowbed.jpg :biggrin:

SowthEfrikan
2006-04-27, 19:42
..everyone here is interested to see a few of the things you've packed in...
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-3/1165284/snowbed.jpg :biggrin:

Nothing like a home from home. :)

dback
2006-04-27, 22:12

Aaah...tell em the truth Iceman....you've never had a woman or bear tear the door down trying to get to you, thereby ruining a perfectly good nights sleep. :dancing2:

Just Jeff
2006-04-27, 22:22
I don't care who ya are - that pic's funny right there.

Iceman
2006-04-27, 23:14
Absolutely Hilarious! You have really outdone yourself, myself, whatever! I really have to say though, that I actually bring a California King size bed, but the stove is about right.... My privy is downslope a bit, to cut down on the odors...you understand.

Dropkick, you are one funny dude! I won't be able to wipe this smile off my face for a couple of days for sure! Thanks. :biggrin: