PDA

View Full Version : Fat Man Walking

Kea
2006-05-10, 01:54
http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/05/09/walkingacrossamerica.ap/index.html

An interesting story, to be sure. It's really too bad that he didn't have good nutrition advice along the way or support. He is really inspiring for a fatso like me who can't seem to hike enough. :)

KLeth
2006-05-10, 02:19
He did very well. I know how much strain the body of us "big guys" takes.
Exercise also helps the mind recover from depression and walking/running is a part of the treatment prescribed by Danish doctors.

Walking helps me to keep spirits high, metabolism up and weight down. Had I walked across the US, I would be all muscles, skin and bones.
Last year I dropped 7kg on a 15 day hike and it wasn't just water.

blackdog
2006-05-10, 10:06
I don't envy the guy but it sure makes a person think.

Seeker
2006-05-10, 12:20
Last year I dropped 7kg on a 15 day hike and it wasn't just water.

yeah... stress can do that too... i lost 15 lbs in a 6-week deployment once... there was little exercise involved...

i'd rather lose weight through exercise... you can eat all you want then too... (within reason.)

Pickles
2006-05-10, 14:24
There is another "Fat Man" who started his journey more recently. He started in St Louis and is heading East. When he gets to the East Coast he plans on flying to the West Coast and then walking back to St Louis. He is currently in Ohio.
http://www.afatmansjourney.com/

KLeth
2006-05-11, 01:26
yeah... stress can do that too... i lost 15 lbs in a 6-week deployment once... there was little exercise involved...
Also thinking about switching line of work to something less stressfull e.g. mine clearance, demolisions or kinder garten teaching :fisheye:

Rosaleen
2006-05-11, 19:37
KLETH-

I work in a small grammar school ( about 350 kids, grades 1-5), for the Special Needs department. Don't be so sure that kindergarten is les stressful than other jobs...

Rosaleen

Take-a-knee
2006-05-11, 23:04
I think Kleth was saying that teaching kindergartners was actually quite stressful, I think so anyway. A bit like herding cats.

Rosaleen
2006-05-11, 23:32
On second look, you are right.

Could be the flaring up TMJ and eye-twitching are affecting my reading...

Thanks,

Rosaleen

dropkick
2006-05-12, 01:54
I think it's great that he made it all the way.
I read some of his journal when he first started this hike and I honestly thought he was going to flake out. I didn't think he would have the will power or stamina to finish.
It makes me feel good to have my cynacism proven wrong.

SowthEfrikan
2006-05-13, 11:01
I read some really nasty posts about one of these fat blokes somewhere - how he had just absconded from his family, his wife lost the house and was divorcing him, and fatso was still eating as unhealthily and as often as he could cram something into his mouth. Oh, and making a fortune out of people feeling sorry for him while doing so with a backup truck carrying all the load. It was really mean, and possibly quite true. I haven't followed the saga so don't know one way or another.