PDA

View Full Version : Crocs sandals

dropkick
2006-05-19, 04:19
Crocs sandals.
I just purchased some for $27.00 (on sale, normally $30.00)
They weigh less than 1 lb (x lrg)
They are extremely comfortable.
They are very quick drying, antimicrobial (antistink), and have good traction.
Come in many different colors.

Originally marketed as a boat shoes, people who spend a lot of time on their feet are now wearing them in all sorts of places. - First came to my family's attention because many waiters were wearing them.

I haven't used them for hiking yet, but two cousins have, and say they stand up to a lot of use.

Cons: They look kind of funny, and the sole isn't very stiff, so it wouldn't protect you much from a sharp edged rock, and they have no ankle support.

I like them, if for nothing else as camp shoes.

REI - Crocks (www.rei.com/online/store/Search?vcat=REI_SEARCH&stat=7889&langId=-1&storeId=8000&query=crocs&x=21&y=10)

Crocs homepage (www.crocs.com/home.jsp)

Another review (www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Footwear/Camp_Shoes/Crocs%20Cayman%20Shoes/Owner%20Review%20by%20Russell%20Curry/)I found while looking for above sites

The color I wanted:
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-3/1165284/210206419_sage_400.jpg

The color from the sale in my size that was left: http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-3/1165284/210206419_yellow_400.jpg
I feel like the little dutch boy looking for a crack in the dike - but my feet are very comfortable.

Iceman
2006-05-19, 10:43
The good thing about those neon slippers is their dual purpose. If you become lost or hurt, you could hang them in a tree and even NASA could find you! :biggrin:

dgrav
2006-05-19, 13:01
I've had a pair of Crocs for about a year. Great shoe for when you want to treat yourself to the luxury of a camp shoe without paying much of a tax in weight. I haven't used them for stream crossings yet but I think they would work well for that also. Mine are Kaki colored so I lose the dual purpose of using them for signaling.

I would be a bit leery in using them for actually hiking in. With no heal cup at all I would worry about twisting an ankle.

I originally bought them just for backpacking but they are so comfortable I find myself wearing them all the time in the summer.

dropkick
2006-05-20, 01:53
I haven't used them for stream crossings yet but I think they would work well for that also.
Just went on a short hike while wearing mine.

Rivers and streams are at flood stage here. Forded 2 streams several times and numerous ditches, water in most was up to my knees. The sandals did very well, I had excellent traction.

The only problem I had was in shallow water (about 1" deep) where a ditch had overrun the trail, I decided to take off my sandal to remove a small rock, and when I did it floated away.
Luckily the water was slow enough that I was able to stop it with my hiking staff before it reached the fast water in the ditch.

Frolicking Dino
2006-05-24, 12:07
I bought the shoe below at Payless for $19.99. They are the best thing I have ever found for water crossings and makes an excellent town / camp shoe, but I wouldn't attempt to hike in them - maybe if I was younger and had stronger ankles - for the reasons cited by dgrav.
http://www.payless.com/Images/beauty/045117_beauty.gifhttp://www.payless.com/Images/sole/045117_sole.gif

blackdog
2006-05-24, 12:32
http://www.kiruna.se/~mlm/V-sko-N2.jpghttp://www.kiruna.se/~mlm/V-sko-F2.jpghttp://www.kiruna.se/~mlm/V-sko-U2.jpg
This idea could probably be executed with a croc as base. It's basically a ski boot (for cross country skiing - i hope i picked the right word for it) with external insulation and a permanently attached gaiter.

dropkick
2006-05-25, 02:39
Neat Blackdog,
That gives me lots of ideas - some of which might even work.

dropkick
2006-05-25, 02:59
I bought the shoe below at Payless for $19.99. They are the best thing I have ever found for water crossings and makes an excellent town / camp shoe, but I wouldn't attempt to hike in them - maybe if I was younger and had stronger ankles - for the reasons cited by dgrav.
I'm a gimp. I have permanent damage to my right leg (hit and run driver many years ago). Because of this I almost always use either a cane or my walking staff to get around. I'm supposed to wear an ankle brace, but I refuse to.
Most of the time I hike in sandals. I do this as I feel it makes my leg and ankle stronger and less likely to get hurt in the long run. I do fall down occasionally, but as the hiking season progresses I get better.

- I also carry along a light neoprene ankle brace in case I twist my ankle (and on long hikes I also carry my boots - and sometimes the hated heavy brace (lace up canvas with metal stays).

-- This is just me though, and what works for me might not for you.

Frolicking Dino
2006-05-25, 14:00
Dropkick - There was a girl attempting a thru in 2004 wearing two of these aircasts (http://www.aircast.com/products/family.htm?id=5&gid=B76881FC-B7A8-4380-92FE-52AFBEB37852&rnd=201869444)- light, supportive and (according to her) very comfortable. She said she got one paid for by insurance for the original injury and bought the second one used and cheap from ebay. This might be a viable option to replace both the neoprene and canvas / metal brace for you.

I'm trying to get one for my right knee and ankle - the nervous system in my right vastus lateralis is toast and the other quads are also damaged so my muscles are not able to provide the structure to keep my ankle / knee / hip properly aligned. Since you can't develop or strengthen what you can't move, I have to provide some external support to hike without injuring myself.

dropkick
2006-05-26, 02:21
Thanks for showing these to me, they are worth a thought.

I also have nerve damage (partially severed sciatic) and have no muscle on the front of my right calf. In addition to the inability to raise my right foot (it dangles) this also makes for weak ankles.
Over the years I have learned to lift my right foot higher when walking and "fling it" so that it lands flat instead of hooking the toe and curling under. I now do this with no conscience thought.

I still think that the lack of a brace helps. The surviving muscles on the side of my ankle get stronger, and while I have no real proof of this, I think that the exercise helps in nerve damage recovery.
Either my nerves are slowly regrowing or other nerves are taking over as the dead area (no feeling) on my leg is smaller than it used to be and I can now noticably raise my toes (1/8th to 1/4 inch).

To many people that probably doesn't seem like a big deal, but as I wasn't able to move my toes at all for over 10 years it excites me. (I've been damaged for almost 20 years now) I have hopes that in a few years I'll get more feeling and maybe start to recover some calf muscle.

P.S. Hadn't really thought about it until now, but that might also be one of the reasons why I now prefer wearing sandals to boots, even though it requires more effort to get around, and my limp is much worse. (subconscience at work?)

Frolicking Dino
2006-05-26, 14:35
Dropkick, wonderful to hear the toes are moving. While damaged nerves never repair themselves, new nerve networks do sometimes grow from undamaged portions and essentially replace the function of the missing nerves. The extra circulation caused by exercise would likely enhance this growth. In your case, the undamaged portion of the sciatic nerve may be replacing the damaged portion.

I have a lot of burning and tingling in my thigh and hope this is what is causing the sensations. The MRI of my leg was sad - my vastus lateralis looks like a man's belt hanging in my thigh. A normal vastus lateralis is about as big around as a pound of sausage at the top and a smoked sausage at the bottom.

I have also had to modify my gait to keep from curling my toes under though no where nearly as much as you have. I have a trendelenburg gait (trendelenburg%20gait). My peritoneal nerve was also damaged, but I have been able to overcome the effects with extensive physical therapy.

I can certainly understand why you would prefer sandals to boots. I have to wear shoes with support even at home - my ankle swells to the size of a grapefruit if I don't because of the strain on the ligaments and tendons.

dropkick
2006-05-27, 07:00
I also get a tingling sensation in my foot and leg (similar to the feeling you get when an a leg falls asleep), but I only get this feeling when I strike around my dead area.
I often stand around hitting myself with my cane.

Frolicking Dino
2006-05-27, 11:19
My brother dated a China doctor for several years and she is now a family friend. She recommended deeply massaging the dead areas to me as a way to stimulate growth of new nerve networks. She says this technique along with acupuncture is used routinely in China. I've been doing daily for several months and it actually does seem to be helping.