PDA

View Full Version : Flipped

dgrav
2006-05-22, 17:09
My wife and I took our hammocks out this weekend for a shakedown trip in preparation for our section hike in June.

Despite temps that dropped below 40 degrees at night along with plenty of passing showers, we were able to stay warm and dry.

The one issue was with my wife’s Ultralight Backpacker. Saturday morning when she woke up her hammock had rotated :rofl: counter clockwise (looking from the head end) placing the exit slit at about 2 o'clock, placing her on the netting and causing the right hand side tie-out to come undone. She has no clue how long she slept on the netting but everything looks undamaged. The odd thing is her Nest stayed underneath her despite the rotation.

After breaking camp and setting up 12 miles down the trail the same thing occurred but not as severe (only rotated to about 4 o’clock and the tie-out stayed in place.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any thoughts on what may be causing it?

Over all it was a great first weekend in the hammocks. All though advice I received from this site was extremely helpful.

Thanks!

Just Jeff
2006-05-22, 17:20
I sometimes creep up along the edge when I roll from side to side. You have to roll "inside" the hammock instead of rolling "on" the hammock...just like the difference with rolling over in a sleeping bag (roll with the bag) and in a quilt (roll in the quilt).

So if she tosses and turns at night, she might need to make sure she's not bringing the hammock with her as she rolls.

Lanthar
2006-05-22, 17:53
So if she tosses and turns at night, she might need to make sure she's not bringing the hammock with her as she rolls.

Of course, learning how to do that while asleep can be a trick... ;)

Just Jeff
2006-05-22, 18:05
Just like sleeping with a quilt...she'll get it after a while. Sooner or later it'll be a self-critiquing exercise...

peter_pan
2006-05-22, 20:38
My wife and I took our hammocks out this weekend for a shakedown trip in preparation for our section hike in June.

Despite temps that dropped below 40 degrees at night along with plenty of passing showers, we were able to stay warm and dry.

The one issue was with my wife’s Ultralight Backpacker. Saturday morning when she woke up her hammock had rotated :rofl: counter clockwise (looking from the head end) placing the exit slit at about 2 o'clock, placing her on the netting and causing the right hand side tie-out to come undone. She has no clue how long she slept on the netting but everything looks undamaged. The odd thing is her Nest stayed underneath her despite the rotation.

After breaking camp and setting up 12 miles down the trail the same thing occurred but not as severe (only rotated to about 4 o’clock and the tie-out stayed in place.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any thoughts on what may be causing it?

Over all it was a great first weekend in the hammocks. All though advice I received from this site was extremely helpful.

Thanks!

First I agree with Jeff...roll "in" the hammock not "with" the hammock...

As to the JRB Nest staying under your wife...I surmise the Nest being suspended by the JRB Suspesion System fixed only at the very end , where it attaches to the hammock suspension was properly hung...That is it started the night gently touching the underside of the weighted hammock....because of the low nylon to nylon co-efficient of friction and the gravitational force on the pendulum nature of the suspended Nest...resulted in the hammock turning "in" the Nest...Thus it stayed under your wife in an effective position....

Never heard of this phenomina before.... but it speaks well for under insulation vs pads for those who toss and turn.

Pan

dgrav
2006-05-22, 22:31
Another thing that happened this weekend is that the zipper on her sleeping bag scratched her lip while she was using it like a quilt.

This may be the right amount of leverage to convince her to replace our sleeping bags with top quilts!

Just Jeff
2006-05-23, 11:35
Well, you can't have her walking around with scratched lips, now can you? Timing is everything...

peter_pan
2006-05-23, 13:53
Another thing that happened this weekend is that the zipper on her sleeping bag scratched her lip while she was using it like a quilt.

This may be the right amount of leverage to convince her to replace our sleeping bags with top quilts!

Don,

JRB can fix this problem too....Special for you, this month only, A Mary kay Satin Lips Set (we both have wives who are Mary Kay consultants) with a No Sniveller quilt. It includes a great moisturizer and balm....After the healing she'll love the feel of her lips...if you are lucky, so will you :)

Pan

Lanthar
2006-05-23, 17:02
Just like sleeping with a quilt...she'll get it after a while. Sooner or later it'll be a self-critiquing exercise...

Kind of like Pavlov's Dog then? :elefant:

dgrav
2006-05-24, 09:46
:hmmmm: Soooooooo tempted to order a couple top quilts. But first I need to get her a new backpack (probably one of the new Osprey Auras that are similar to my Atmos 50).

Then I need to decide on which top quilts to get, the No Sniveller or the Shenandoah?????????

blackdog
2006-05-24, 10:16
:hmmmm: But first I need to get her a new backpack (probably one of the new Osprey Auras that are similar to my Atmos 50).
Have you considered buying her a gearskin (http://hikinghq.net/gear/moonbow_gearskin.html) from Moonbow? It's just the right size and it'll cost less, even though it is hand made.

dgrav
2006-05-24, 12:52
Very cool design. Something I would like to check out.

Unfortunately we leave the 20th of June for a section hike so there may not be enough time to get one. Plus she likes things simple and we have a certain amount of loyalty to Osprey. Their customer service over the years has been great. Even to the point of free customization to packs we already own!

Thanks for the tip!

Take-a-knee
2006-05-25, 20:04
I would buy a backpack LAST, that is if she already has something that'll work. If you do decide to buy a LW pack, look at the Granite Gear Vapor Trail Ki(women's version). I just bought one of these for my daughter and she carried it 12mi yesterday and loves it. I just bought a Mountain Hardware down bag liner from Campmor for $90. It is 600 fill down and weighed 2# 5oz as shipped. I cut the zippers off of it and it lost 5oz(they were BIG zippers). I plan to sew a foot box Jardine-style and shake the down to one side (there is no center baffle) and narrow the sides down to the size of my Jardine quilt. It won't be as light or nice as the Jacks' quilts but it'll be cheap if you can sew.

brian
2006-05-25, 23:50
Have you considered buying her a gearskin (http://hikinghq.net/gear/moonbow_gearskin.html) from Moonbow? It's just the right size and it'll cost less, even though it is hand made.

Oh man, another piece of gear that I absolutely LOVE! I have put in a few hundred miles on my gearskin (that Jon personally sized me for up in Glencliff), and it rides like a dream, getting as large or small as needed. Definitely take a look at the Gearskin from Moonbow!

Brian
OES