PDA

View Full Version : The Man Who Walked Through Time

dropkick
2006-05-25, 01:29
Scored another Colin Fletcher book. (The Complete Walker 1 - 4, The Thousand Mile Summer)

Was driving through town on my way to my favorite place to walk the dog (Bass Creek area, Bitterroot N.F.) when I noticed that the library had some free books displayed in front, so I stopped and found a copy of his 1967 book in excellent condition - still has the dust jacket and doesn't even have any library markings.

Haven't started to read it yet (I'm currently reading 3 other books) but if it's anything like his other books that I've read, I'm going to truly enjoy it.

It's the story/journal of Colin Fletcher's hike of the Grand Canyon. He was the first person known to ever hike it's entire length. Alone and supplied by prearranged plane drop, he made the journey that some had said wasn't possible in 2 months. (paraphrased from dust jacket)

KBob
2006-05-26, 07:17
A great read, probably Colin's best book. He is the father of backpacking you know. If you read this one you will want to read "The Thousand Mile Summer". I have all of Colin's books and I have read them all many times. Interesting to see how the equipment has changes over the years. Enjoy.

homadehiker
2006-06-22, 14:56
I read the book 5 yrs ago I found it dry ,no pun intended. It did have some good info on historical hiking gear and Iliked his multi tasking philosophy for his gear .Good read

Just Jeff
2006-06-22, 16:23
Haha - what a coincidence...I'm about halfway through it now. It's a good read but I wouldn't rave about it.

deadeye
2006-06-22, 16:28
I can't say I'd rave about it either, but then why have I read it more than once? Why do I suddenly have the urge to read it again? :confused:

Take-a-knee
2006-06-22, 21:25
After reading the Complete Walker nearly thirty years ago I bought a Svea 123 and a Kelty frame pack, both are well-used but in servicable condition.

dropkick
2006-06-23, 00:30
--Thought I should give an update as I started the thread...

I really like his Complete Walker books. I've read and enjoyed a few of them. I thought they were very well written, and unlike most how-to books I've read, I read them from front to back and didn't skip over any parts.

However I'm having a hard time with The Man Who Walked Through Time. I'm about half way through with it, but I keep reading other books instead of finishing it.

What I've read so far was interesting in parts, but didn't keep my interest for long.
He spent a large portion of the first part of the book talking about how he was looking for some form of spiritual awakening, and then lamenting that it wasn't happening. I would have been much happier if he would have spent more time and detail on the technical aspects of the hike.

I also wasn't happy about the way he told of some of the obstacles he faced. He would say how it would be a tremendous problem if he couldn't find a way around/down/over the obstacle and the next thing he would say is that he found a way and took it, providing little if any detail. It would be a let down.

However, before I stopped reading he seemed to be finally finding his stride and his writing was improving. I need to get back to reading it, the ending might save the whole book.