PDA

View Full Version : P.C. This... Butt Butt Butt Butt

dropkick
2006-05-28, 01:08
Went to a sporting goods store today looking for a butt pack to use on day hikes. Asked a young female clerk where the butt packs were and she didn't know what I was talking about. After discribing them it turns out I was looking for a "Lumbar Pack".
Come on!!!
Sometimes the world just gets too P.C.

Just Jeff
2006-05-28, 01:15
The 'polite' word for butt pack used to be fanny pack. Try buying a fanny pack in the UK...it means something completely different!

SGT Rock
2006-05-28, 02:33
Maybe it is more a problem with our overweight society. If you have a lot of "junk in the trunk" then a butt pack would have to shift up to the lumbar area. So they just renamed it to avoid offending the overly large folks.

fieldcraftsman
2006-05-28, 06:02
lol -- heck, when I started hiking as a teenager, my friends and I bought them at the surplus store where they were actually listed as "a$$packs" (except they didn't use the dollar signs). Have called them that ever since.

jimtanker
2006-05-28, 09:46
I want to know what a "fanny pack" is in England.

Enquiring minds want to know.

Frolicking Dino
2006-05-28, 10:02
LMAO at what a 'fanny pack' would mean in Europe. "Fanny" is a vulgar word for female private parts in Europe.

Just Jeff
2006-05-28, 12:12
I had a friend who was stationed in England for a while. They were at a friend's house and their 3yo daughter was misbehaving, so the mom told the dad to "Slap her on the fanny." HAHAHA - the English folks were horrified! Wish I had been there to see that...simple cultural misunderstandings can be hilarious!

Lanthar
2006-05-30, 22:13
I had a friend who was stationed in England for a while. They were at a friend's house and their 3yo daughter was misbehaving, so the mom told the dad to "Slap her on the fanny." HAHAHA - the English folks were horrified! Wish I had been there to see that...simple cultural misunderstandings can be hilarious!

That must have been priceless... wow...

oops56
2006-06-02, 00:44
No Butts Butts; but i like my fanny
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d52/oops62/th_fanny.jpg (http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d52/oops62/fanny.jpg)

KLeth
2006-06-02, 01:33
LMAO at what a 'fanny pack' would mean in Europe. "Fanny" is a vulgar word for female private parts in Europe. Must be in some obscure and uncivilized areas of Brittain :rolleyes: e.g. London :biggrin:
I've never heard "Fanny" in other context but butt . . :captain:

Frolicking Dino
2006-06-02, 06:40
Interesting. I'm a moderator on an international board (has nothing to do with backpacking). We get a 'dirty word' report from members almost every time someone says 'fanny' - mostly the Aussie and British members.

KLeth
2006-06-02, 09:45
I googled "fanny slang dictionary" and I encountered this:
http://cgi.peak.org/~jeremy/searchFlick.cgi
It's quite funny and even though I never heard the expression, you're right!
Maybe it's because I'm not Brittish nor Australian but a civilized viking . . . . .

Iceman
2006-06-02, 10:17
... I'm ... a civilized viking . . . . .

Civilized Viking? There's an oxymoron! :biggrin:

You know we love you anyway KLeth!

blackdog
2006-06-02, 17:39
Civilized Viking? There's an oxymoron! :biggrin:
Careful, Iceman, it's not completely safe to call a viking descendant any kind of moron... :biggrin:

Take-a-knee
2006-06-02, 22:37
Come to think of it, the Swedes and the Swiss haven't suffered the threat of invasion in a very long time, unlike most of the rest of europe. There must be something to that "Everyman a rifleman" thing. That fact is never taught in american schools, I'm sure. We wouldn't want our little ones to actually think a man with a rifle could be of any real benefit to civilized people.

atraildreamer
2007-05-16, 13:18
I googled "fanny slang dictionary" and I encountered this:
http://cgi.peak.org/~jeremy/searchFlick.cgi
It's quite funny and even though I never heard the expression, you're right!
Maybe it's because I'm not Brittish nor Australian but a civilized viking . . . . .

Now I have a tool to use to figure out what they are saying on bushcraftuk.com!:cguru:

Streamweaver
2007-05-16, 14:45
actually there is a diferance between a Fanny pack and a lumbar pack,there used to be anyway. A fanny or butt pack was the smaller packs worn low to carry small items on shorts hikes(to the supermarket usually) but lumbar packs are the larger volume packs that have a decent hip belt and sometimes 1 or 2 shoulder straps and they ride higher (in the lumbar region of the back) hence the name. most people Ive dealt with at outfitters dont know their arse from a hole in the ground anyway!! I went into a sports authority awhile back and asked a girl to point me to the sporting goods section(big mistake!) she says the whole store is sporting goods.So I tried to explain to her(another huge mistake!) that no ,most of the store is athletics ,not the same as sporting goods.Talk about wasted effort!!!