PDA

View Full Version : Quilt design questions

Frolicking Dino
2006-06-01, 09:13
I recently made a synthetic quilt and we love it except for one thing - it slipped off our feet. Originally I had planned for this to be part of a sleep system similar to the BA sleep system for two mats (Thermarest pro4 and BA Insulated Air Core - both rectangular), but this idea proved unworkable when I tested it at a Trail Days.

It has one feature that is unique - a 72" x 6" 'quilt' that goes between the mats to give me a bit of extra space to adjust my bum leg for comfort and good circulation. This item worked well except it kept getting moved as we slept. Every time I needed it, I had to find it and put it back in place. Any ideas on how to keep it somewhat in place would be welcomed.

Any suggestions on how to keep the dino feet under cover? If I add 'sleeves' for the mats what would be the place to put them? On the corner or offset from side and back maybe 4 to 6 inches? I don't care if it is snug, but the male dino has to have wiggle room at the feet or he feels trapped (he absolutely cannot do mummy bags)

Also, it became apparent that I need to add draft guards to the sides (the Ray-Way type) because the dinos freeze each other as they make frequent midnight trips to the woods (this goes with old age). RJ recommends nylon fabric only, but I would think a lightweight fleece might be a better choice. Any input would be welcomed.

txulrich
2006-06-01, 09:40
Pictures would definately help convey what you've started with and point out what you're trying to improve.

Based on what I can visualize by your description, maybe a foot box to place the sleeping pad in might keep things in place.

As for the fleece, if this quilt is intended for backpacking, I wouldn't use it. It just doesn't compress very well. For car camping, go for it if it makes you happy!

Take-a-knee
2006-06-01, 11:16
I gather you are not using this thing in a hammock. The Jardine-style draft stoppers are superfulous in a hammock, they do work if you are sleeping on the ground (arrrrgghhh!). Did you sew a footbox? It doesn't sound like it, there is no way it'll ever stay on your feet without a footbox. The Jardines sleep under one quilt, Ray's feet go in the footbox and his much shorter wife sleeps with her head at his level, I've never tried it but it must work for them. I've never had a problem with my feet coming out of my Ray-Way quilt.

Frolicking Dino
2006-06-01, 13:07
Take-a-knee, I'm still sleeping on the ground. Alas, the male dino is stubborn about hanging or sleeping without his overstuffed dino next to him. :biggrin:

The RJ style footbox would likely not work well for us - I'm 5'10" and he is 6' - and he has very ticklish feet. Our feet together in something like that style footbox is not going to be a good time. I'm considering adding about 6" of fabric all the way across the bottom and sewing a pocket for each mat and the 6" x 72" 'quilt' that rest between us. Has anyone done this? Did it work?

Txulrich, currently the quilt is a 6' x 6' square quilt - the only unusual thing about it is extra insultation on one side because I sleep under an electric blanket and comforter year round with only my nose sticking out while he rarely uses more than a cotton sheet. Using RJ's equation for determining thermal rating - his side is good to 40 F and mine is good to 20 F - I'm thinking the real value is around 30 F for both of us.

Good point about fleece not compacting well - maybe a really tightly woven taffeta would keep out breezes and keep in warmth somewhat.

Take-a-knee
2006-06-01, 22:25
I would suggest each of you get (sew) one of Jardines' quilts. You could sleep side by side with your feet in your own quilt footbox and still snuggle for mutual warmth. If you haven't yet tried a Hennesey hammock, don't unless you want to spend the money for one (or two). My last several hikes have been with my 16yo daughter and I was hesitant to spend the money on a hammock for her until I knew she'd use it. That means I've spent several nights on the ground recently, it ain't nearly as much fun as it used to be, and, as a retired SF trooper, I've spent quite a few nights (or portions therof) on the ground.

Frolicking Dino
2006-06-02, 06:45
Take-a-knee, make one of Risk's test hammocks (http://www.imrisk.com/testhammock/testhammock.htm)! It is a no-sew project that will keep you off the ground while your daughter is trying out your hammock. It took this hammock virgin less than 15 minutes to rig one from 4 yards of Wal-Mart $1/ yard material and a $3.50 for a 50' roll of 1" nylon webbing from the clearance bin.

I tried many different hammocks at trail days - I have a very weak right leg / hip - I am most comfortable in a Speers hammock, but can't get in or out of it unassisted. I can get in and out of a HH, but I can't get comfortable or don't feel safe in it. If I ever do go to hanging, I'll likely make a hammock with the Speers design and HH's entry system. For now, the male dino is absolutely opposed to the idea, but I'm still working on softening him up to the idea....

The two quilt idea is a thought for the future. Since I have already made the larger quilt and have plenty of material left over, I may add a foot pocket to each side of the quilt - they would go over our individual mats and keep the quilt on our feet. It would also keep this 'cover hog' from stealing the quilt from the male dino in her sleep. If I made the edge with a cord in a casting to form the footbox (similar to what JRB does with their quilts), it could be used on a traditional bed as well (like when 21 kids & grandkids stay over on Christmas eve...)

Just Jeff
2006-06-02, 11:45
Dino, which HH model did you use? You might be more comfortable in the longer models.

Frolicking Dino
2006-06-02, 15:35
I don't know which model it was, but I remember when I asked if it would hold me he laughed and said it was rated to 300 lbs. I'm fluffy, but not that fluffy. He also mentioned it was one of the heavier models of HH because it was considered a heavy-duty hammock.

Hog On Ice
2006-06-02, 16:17
300 lbs - sounds like the Explorer Deluxe and yes it is one of the larger Hennessy Hammocks - only the Safari Deluxe is bigger

dropkick
2006-06-02, 19:40
Take-a-knee, I'm still sleeping on the ground. Alas, the male dino is stubborn about hanging or sleeping without his overstuffed dino next to him. :biggrin:

Have you looked into 2 person hammocks?
Lots of companies offer them.
Haven't looked at HH's offerings for a while, but I thought they had one too.

Also you might try a standard hammock again, as they are hard to get into only untill you gain experience with them.

They are also easier to sew/make, and with a pull over screen just as secure from bugs. (See Risk's site (www.imrisk.com/hammock/ultraquarterweight.htm)) -I use similar to his though hooked to the same line as my tarp (higher up) and not attached to the hammock in any way.

Frolicking Dino
2006-06-02, 20:59
I can't image the sweet spot in any hammock being large enough for two fluffy dinos.... I googled two person hammocks and could only find the backyard variety - the canvas models with spreader bars and a handful of Brazilian and Mayan hammocks.

I'm afraid the problem with getting in and out of a hammock isn't so much unfamiliarity as severe weakness in one leg. I have to grasp something to help pull myself to the standing position to get up. This is doable in a HH, but not in a traditional hammock - I tried it. It nearly flips with me still seated every time. My good left leg can push me up to the standing position as long as my arms have something available to stabilize me while I am rising.

dropkick
2006-06-03, 06:26
At first I used to roll out onto the ground and then stand up.

Shortly after that I started to get out of the hammock by moving my rear to the lowest point, lifting it up and putting my legs out on both sides. I would then pull myself upright with the portion of the hammock in front of me.
-This is actually no where near as easy as it sounds.

Then I started using a line that I strung from tree to tree above my hammock (tarp line) to pull myself up after swinging myself around into a sitting position.

Now I've found with practice that I'm able to stand fairly easily with the aid of only my cane (after moving into a sitting position).

P.S.
With a little bit of sewing to make a bug screen, and possibly to add attachments for an underquilt (or whatever) I don't see why a Mayan hammock wouldn't work.