PDA

View Full Version : Dehydrating chicken or chicken jerky

dropkick
2006-06-08, 02:11
I'm not having good luck with dehydrating chicken. I end up with hard pieces that don't wish to rehydrate and when they do don't taste real wonderful.

I've been starting with cooked chicken, should I treat it like jerky and start with raw?

P.S. How do you make chicken jerky, same as beef jerky?

Frolicking Dino
2006-06-08, 06:33
I use breast meat only (be sure to get the kind that does not have a flavor solution added) and start with raw meat that has been sliced into long, skinny strips. Break these into about 1" long pieces after it is dried.

Dehydrated chicken takes longer to rehydrate than methods like freezer bag cooking alone and, as you note, doesn't taste great. I usually hydrate it in a freezer bag by boiling water after breakfast and adding it along with seasonings to the meat only. This lets it hydrate as I hike and the seasonings greatly improve the taste.

I've made both chicken and turkey jerky. The method is similar to making beef jerky. I've used the jerky recipes from everythingkitchens.com (http://www.everythingkitchens.com/beefjerkyrecipes.html) with great success. The recipes on this page from the same site (http://www.everythingkitchens.com/miscdehydratorrecipes.html)make some tasty lunches.

SGT Rock
2006-06-09, 08:29
I'm not having good luck with dehydrating chicken. I end up with hard pieces that don't wish to rehydrate and when they do don't taste real wonderful.

I've been starting with cooked chicken, should I treat it like jerky and start with raw?

P.S. How do you make chicken jerky, same as beef jerky?

I used a teriaki (sp?) marinade on mine before I dried it. I think I baked it too, but it has been quite a while.

john pickett
2006-06-10, 15:11
"I end up with hard pieces that don't wish to rehydrate and when they do don't taste real wonderful."

Dropkick, the problem may be helped by seperating the chunks into threads or slivers of meat before drying. I often dry the little salmon packs and it helps to pull the chunks apart with a couple of forks or a small food processor.
Hope this helps.
John Pickett

Iceman
2006-06-11, 01:55
Dehydrated chicken.

puke: puke: puke: