PDA

View Full Version : Make a million bucks

dropkick
2006-06-08, 03:30
Came up with an idea that might make someone a million bucks (anything is possible).

I was walking by the river the other day and I came to part of the trail that had been overrun by the spring flooding. I looked at it and decided to wade on. Took a step and abruptly sat down in the wet clay mud. OWW.

Decided to keep going and also to wash off the mud in the foot and a half of water on the trail ahead.

Had a plastic bag in my pocket, so I put my wallet and other things I didn't want to get wet in it.

Stepped into the water, slipped on the clay bottom and sat down again.

Thought I'd try walking on the grass beside the trail. Found out the grass covered more wet clay as I fell backwards into the water.

Decided to retrace my steps and go home.

Now my idea!!

After I had slogged back to the truck, I took the plastic bag out of my pocket and saw everything was dry and safe, and the idea hit me, "Why don't I make myself a small drybag just large enough to act as a wallet? Then I wouldn't ever have to worry."

Haven't made one yet, and for all I know the product might already be out there, but I haven't seen one, or I would have bought it long ago.

I have now released my idea into the world, maybe one of you can make a million off it (if you do I want a free wallet). :biggrin:

oops56
2006-06-08, 04:08
Well just in case you like to know i been putting my wallet in zip lock for years ever time i go fishing good idea but that means two wallets you would not like to use the water proof one for ever day

Frolicking Dino
2006-06-08, 06:09
I have some ziplocks that are just a bit bigger than a credit card (sold in packs of 100 by places that sell runners' equipment). When I do a long-distance hike I put my driver's license, military ID, a credit card, a list containing family and health provider phone / other numbers, a single blank check, cash and the key to my vehicle in one of these. This fits nicely into the interior mesh 'key pocket' that is part of every lower-body garment I wear hiking (if a garment doesn't have one, I sew one on). This allows me to keep these items on my person pretty much 24/7 and keeps the items safe from sweat, mud and water.

Just Jeff
2006-06-08, 11:14
Ditto, Dino.

dropkick, I'm pretty sure someone's already made a million bucks from ziplock bags. And REI sells little plastic wallets that are basically thicker versions of ziplocks, that fold over with a zipper on each side - just big enough for credit cards and the like.

Great idea, but I think it's taken. Maybe you could make a waterproof breathable one in case your credit cards get sweaty? :p

TerribleTom
2006-06-08, 16:18
You mean something like this?
http://www.waterproofcases.net/pakpak.html

Iceman
2006-06-09, 00:33
I guess I will be the one who points this out, but Dropkick's Idea, is an Idea Worth a Million Bucks, but you all missed it! It was looking you all in the face the whole time.

Dropkick, why not kill two birds with one stone? Why not a full body drybag? Pack this baby with you, climb in and cross that creek! Heck, dump your tents or hammocks, attach a couple of ropes and hang yourself in the tree. You will never have to worry about getting your wallet wet again, or anything else!

I know, I know, I am a visionary, but it really was your idea, not mine. Great idea Dropkick! (And no, I have not been drinking...)

KLeth
2006-06-09, 01:54
Heck, dump your tents or hammocks, attach a couple of ropes and hang yourself in the tree. You will never have to worry about getting your wallet wet again, or anything else! Well, that could easily be misunderstood . . . . :) But I guess it was meant in the best way! :biggrin:
Nothing wrong with the idea . . . . I would love a nice waterproof wallet. Not just putting it in a ziplock, but one I could use every day.

Iceman
2006-06-09, 02:47
Ooops, I wouldn't want anyone to get any ideas now...Thanks Kleth!

If you are going to hang yourself, try to do it at home. :elefant:

I meant to say, ...oh never mind, you know what I meant :biggrin:

jimtanker
2006-06-09, 18:03
Well, I HAVE been drinking and I think that I might not be able to breath so good inside a plastic bag. Not sure though. Why dont you try it out for us Kevin? Just kidding of course.

Frolicking Dino
2006-06-09, 18:12
Well, I HAVE been drinking and I think that I might not be able to breath so good inside a plastic bag. Not sure though. Why dont you try it out for us Kevin? Just kidding of course.Goretex?

Seriously, can you image what would happen the first time another hiker stumbled over you hanging from a tree? And the reaction of the cops that cut you down when you jumped up?

dropkick
2006-06-10, 03:07
Kleth If you want to try making one here's my basic idea in picture form.
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-3/1165284/WALLET.jpg
I thought about making it out of cordura or something similar and then waterproofing it.

Or if you want to wait and hear how it works first, I am going to make one as soon as I get some material and have time to make it.
Should have a basic model built by Monday or Tuesday at the latest.

--Am thinking about trying some slight changes i.e. squaring out bottom corners to add more room inside wallet with less stress on seams, etc.

P.S. Iceman thought about your whole body dry bag idea, but it wouldn't work for me... Must be clausterphobia from when I was little and Dad threw me and a brick in the river tied in a burlap bag.
:rolleyes:

atraildreamer
2006-06-10, 03:09
I found some neat litle bags at the local Walgreen's pharmacy. They are 3" x 2" with a zip loc seal at the top that adds another 1/2" to the height of the bag. They are labeled, on the bag, as an "Ezy Dose Pill Pouch." They are "moisture proof", and have a "white writing block for labeling and writing instructions." They look like they could hold 2-3 tablespoons of whatever, not to mention their original purpose of holding medication. 50 for $2.99.

Uses: Condiments, meds, small sewing kit, $$$, matches, whatever... use your imagination.
:rolleyes:

incognito
2006-06-10, 11:25
Thanks for the tip Atraildreamer.

Went to Walgreens and bought some. Handy little buggers.

I like the white writing block feature.

Thanks Again :)