PDA

View Full Version : Little Big Horn Camping

fieldcraftsman
2006-06-10, 17:26
Hey all -- Dropkick will almost certainly know the answer to this one, but I'd welcome views from all.

When I'm back in BC in late July, I'd like to take a road trip down to Little Big Horn. Too bad I'll be too late for the 130th re-enactment.

My question is this: can anyone recommend any good camping (e.g. within 15 mile radius) near the battlefield itself. I've looked on the internet, and there seem to be RV style campsites at Crow Agency and Garryowen. I'd more be interested in a national park type setting. I realise it may be limited as much of the land around there is on the Crow Reservation.

Anyway, any recommendations gratefully received!

Mutinousdoug
2006-06-10, 20:17
I'm sure there's a privately run campground right in Crow Agency. Public campgrounds seem to be in Ft. Smith or Lame Deer, each about 30 miles West and East as I recall.
It'll be warm there in July, but it's a facinating place.
If you have a few more days you might look at Ft Phil Kearny out of Sheridan Wyo. A lot of history there too.

dropkick
2006-06-11, 03:11
I've never camped there. Been to the battlefield a couple times, but it was always just a stopover on the way to someplace else. Also the last time I stopped there, they had just changed the name from The Custer National Battlefield to The Little Big Horn Battlefield, so it's been awhile.

You might find some private campgrounds on the reservation but you won't find any national or state parks unless you move off the res. (and that's more than 15 miles)

You might try looking for some city parks with camping. Many small towns in Montana have these. They normally have toilets and potable water available. Some are very nice.

--This is going to sound bad... but I'd look off the reservation if I was going to try for public camping, as normally they are better maintained and cleaner.

P.S. go around calling it The Battle of the Greasy Grass* and people will think that your knowledgable (*the indian name for it)

fieldcraftsman
2006-06-12, 09:02
Thanks all for these replies fellas.

You might try looking for some city parks with camping. Many small towns in Montana have these. They normally have toilets and potable water available. Some are very nice.

--This is going to sound bad... but I'd look off the reservation if I was going to try for public camping, as normally they are better maintained and cleaner.

Thanks for the tips. Having done this, I've found not less than four campsites in Hardin. Point about the on-reservation sites, well noted.

It'll be warm there in July, but it's a facinating place.
If you have a few more days you might look at Ft Phil Kearny out of Sheridan Wyo. A lot of history there too.

Thanks, might try and head there. Have just started reading "Son of the Morning Star" by Evan S Connell. Great history there. Am just reading about Major Reno at the moment.

One of the things they were saying about two monts after the time of the battle was that it was 114 degrees inside a tent!

P.S. go around calling it The Battle of the Greasy Grass* and people will think that your knowledgable (*the indian name for it)

Thanks. I'll do some web research looking up that name.