PDA

View Full Version : Making bar soap last longer

dropkick
2006-06-21, 01:39
Was reminded of this by another thread and thought that some of you might not know about it. So....

If you unpackage your bar soap and put in a drawer (or anywhere it can "breath") after a few weeks it will get harder and last longer.

The longer you leave it out the harder it will get and the longer it will last.

I believe this is why soaps are sold in either plastic or wax paper wrapping - so they won't last longer.

I keep my soap (Ivory) in an open plastic box on a shelf in my bathroom, and take bars out as needed.

When hiking/camping this is the only soap I carry and I use it for everything - dishes, hair, body, laundry, shaving....

Seeker
2006-06-21, 11:18
now that you mention it, my mom used to do that... she put them in the linen closet, so our towels and sheets always smelled nice...

Frolicking Dino
2006-06-21, 13:49
I do this with the male dino's soap as well. It does last longer and make the towels smell wonderful. ::: off to open my Dr. Bonner's bar :::

john pickett
2006-06-21, 17:42
Dropkick,
The easiest way to make your soap last longer is: Don't use it so often.
Should come natural to a Montanan. :damnmate:
John Pickett

Take-a-knee
2006-06-22, 00:14
I worked in Iraq last year with this retired SF guy nicknamed Nasty Jack and he was so called only in part due to his "blue movie" collection but mainly due to his reluctance to take a shower. He now lives in Montana...but he is originally from Texas.

KLeth
2006-06-22, 01:25
Then how do you keep it dry while in use ?
- No matter what I place the dang thing on or hang it from, after using it, it turns mushy in a few days.
Maybe I should use it less frequently . . . .

dropkick
2006-06-22, 08:22
Dropkick,
The easiest way to make your soap last longer is: Don't use it so often.
Should come natural to a Montanan.
John Pickett
Actually, even though we Montanan's exude a natural pleasant scent, we still feel a need to keep up a regular cleansing schedule.
- Mostly we do it in the hope that setting a good example will get you Texans to at least try bathing.... :biggrin:

dropkick
2006-06-22, 08:41
- No matter what I place the dang thing on or hang it from, after using it, it turns mushy in a few days.
You need to stop storing it in a puddle of water in your sauna and let it dry out between uses. :biggrin:

--If you quit bathing as often, you will get the benefit of the soap lasting longer. But soon you'll start to attract flies, and repel the other sex. Plus even worse, people might think your a Texan!
:damnmate:

Seeker
2006-06-22, 13:10

don't know if you can get one, but here in the States they make plastic soap holders. you put them inside the soap dish on the side of the shower or tub, and they raise the soap up out of the puddle on what looks like a 'bed of nails', but is about the size of a bar of soap. they're about 3/4'' (13-14 mm? 2.5 barleycorns?) thick.

john pickett
2006-06-22, 19:09
"even though we Montanan's exude a natural pleasant scent, we still feel a need to keep up a regular cleansing schedule" with Brillo pads I assume?

Q. How to tell the difference between a male Montanan and a female Montanan.
A. 1. Is there a difference? I couldn't tell.
2. Rub two Montanans together. If you get a shower of sparks, you have
a male and a female. No one cares which is which.
3. Presence of facial hair. For significance, see #2

Glad Nasty Jack found a home. Have you started a church about him yet?

John Pickett, taking on Montana with one half of my brain tied behind my back (and apologies to Rush). :dito:

dropkick
2006-06-23, 01:06
Glad Nasty Jack found a home. Have you started a church about him yet?
Who's Nasty Jack? We Montanans haven't been paying close enough attention and some of the other states keep sneaking their rejects in here. (Una bomber, etc.) Is he one of those?

John Pickett, taking on Montana with one half of my brain tied behind my back (and apologies to Rush). :dito:And only using half a wit too!!
:biggrin:

Take-a-knee
2006-06-23, 17:19
Nasty Jack was (and is, if an IED hasn't gotten him) a truly unique individual. A Texan,a retired Green Beret, fluent in three languages, and now a security contractor with a log home somewhere in Montana. He was always the man with a plan. Like a good SF trooper, he learned the ways of the locals, he let his hair an beard grow, always had a shemagh handy, and realized, like most men who have spent a big chunk of their lives outdoors, bathing wasn't at the top of Maslow's Hierchy of Needs. I would write more about him but I have to go take a shower now.

Spice1
2007-05-09, 13:00
Just thinking about it makes you feel nasty?

Rhino-lfl
2007-05-10, 13:26
I think the point here is that if you have a few bars of soap, store them open in your closet, so all the smelly crap inside your closet will smell nice and the soap will age and harden. Once you use it, it's pretty much gonna be wet and mushy. But the longer you store it before you use it, the longer it will last once you use it.

While in use, store away from puddles, dogs, small hungry children, ect; and hang on what us non-southern, montanaonian/texican folks call a ... and get this, the name is really funny ... a 'soap dish'! (That was mild intarweb sarcastic humor based off the vibe from previous posts for those who are easy of mind and easily offended and might freak out).

Amigi
2007-05-12, 22:29
On another cleanliness point, many a discussion has occurred over pooping over on WB. I will not pack out my paper in civilian life, but I do hate to leave it in the cat hole. I got turned on to using chemical toilet tissue about six months ago. I buried an unused piece by my back door, and waited six days. It rained once in that time. No paper to be found.

I have a lot of time on my hands....

Take-a-knee
2007-05-12, 23:24
This chemical toilet paper is the stuff for RV toilets? I think it is blue?

TeeDee
2007-05-14, 21:53
Try the leaves from Lamb's Ear - even softer than any paper - toilet or otherwise:

http://www.mountainvalleygrowers.com/stalanata.htm

Bury that and no one will ever know ! Nature's own wiper !

Thudley
2007-05-28, 12:03
How about finding one of those "Soap-On-A-Rope" bars that were popular a few years back? You could just tie it to your belt to dry out during each day's travels.

(Hmmm, sounds like we're running out of really important problems here)

Ed