PDA

View Full Version : New Hyperlight Backpacker A-sym

Gecko
2006-06-26, 09:29
I had to replace my Ultralite Backpacker A-Sym because my Nat Guardsman son took it to New Orleans last year and I never saw it again. >^,^<

So, I got the new Hyperlight Backpacker A-Sym at 7 oz less and have taken it with the stock tarp to the Loyalsock Trail, Pinchot Trail, and the AT in Pennsylvania--a total of 15 days in the field so far. Most of the trips it rained a few days and each time I just put the stakes for the fly closer to the hammock, making a hard taco shape that kept the rain off of me and the inside of the hammock.

My only big complaint about the HH is that in a tent I'm usually up by 5:00 am, but when I'm in the HH they have to beat me out with a stick every morning. I'm jest too comfortable.

I plan to get the deluxe MacCat tarp to use with my HH to make an "enclosure" around the HH. I think this will add a measure of privacy on those multi-gender trips, for changing clothes or using my plastic coffee can in the middle of the night. Plus it looks like it would make a good wind break in the colder months. I've got my base pack weight down so much it's ridiculous. It's time to add back some more fun gear.

Pappyhighlife
2006-06-26, 17:28
Brother that says it all, Yeah add a little weight, you will have more fun.
Let us know how that wind break works for you, sounds like it might help....

Going light vs ultra utra light is the difference between dieting and being Anorexic. <<..>>

Seeker
2006-06-26, 17:59
Brother that says it all, Yeah add a little weight, you will have more fun.
Let us know how that wind break works for you, sounds like it might help....

Going light vs ultra utra light is the difference between dieting and being Anorexic. <<..>>

close, but not quite... anorexia will kill you. ultralighting only might. i get what you mean though.

the most important part of the 'ULW' philosophy to me is that it got me to think- "why am i carrying all this stuff? do i really need it? could something else do the job? can it do two or more jobs? ok... i'll put that in my pack."

Gecko
2006-06-27, 08:41
I think ignorance kills well before packweight does. Someone with a 50 lb pack and whose professor is not home is not "safer" than an experienced backpacker with a 12 lb base pack and who knows how to use it. I can do more to ensure my longevity with a contractor's trash bag and an 8 oz survival tin than most 50 lb packers who are separated from their gear. It can and does happen. Gear is no guarantee of either comfort or survival. The hyperlighter has survival modules that begin from the pockets out, that she builds on as comfort dictates. Comfort for me is a good book and my trail journal, tea & coffee, my favorite snacks, plus a tiny camera. Survival is shelter, water, fire, and first aid, with gear that can fit in your pockets.

So, don't blink when I whiz past you with my tiny pack. I'll already have my HH up and several gallons of water prepped when the condo-packers finally stumble into camp and struggle to toss their packs off the minute they arrive. That's one difference I notice the most with hyperlighters and ultralighters. We don't take "pack breaks" on the trail. We stop and take pictures, take a people break, and have a snack and tea, but we aren't forever doing gymnastics to toss the packs off and back on. Because our packs are very, very comfortable. I'm amazed that anyone would still carry an external frame pack unless their commanding officer dictates it.

>^,^<

I :love: my pack!!!

Pappyhighlife
2006-06-27, 11:21
I agree with much of that. My company gives Survival Buckets out for door prizes at our Crisis Management Semminars, and each bucket clearly states:
These Buckets are designed for your survival not your comfort.
When I Hunt or Hike it's for pleasure my pack normally weighs between 32 and 44 pounds with the exception of some emergency equipment I never take what I'm sure I won't be using on the trip.
So it's very managable, but like you my survival items are kept on my belt or cargo pockets in case I do get separated from the ruck. When I first started camping 40 years ago my weighed in 65 to 75 pounds. Course when you are young you can do that. I have learned much over the years and this Web site is just a wonderful source for information. Thanks for all the info

Take-a-knee
2006-06-27, 13:03
Geko, what pack are you using and what are you using for insulation with the hyperlight?

SowthEfrikan
2006-06-27, 20:14
Looked at the description for the hammock that they say was for racers, but it sounded like it might fall apart after a few uses. I have the hammock your son wisely kidnapped, and have been very happy with it. I was toying with the idea of getting the hyperlight, and passing on my hammock to my husband. Hmm. Might be the way to go.

Gecko
2006-06-27, 21:27
Hi guys, thanks for your posts. My pack is a gearskin from www.moonbowgear.com. It is custom made to fit you. Mine weighs less than 12 oz after I trimmed it. It's just a harness and a way to carry only your stuff, not a pack. Before that I used a Kelty MG lumbar pack that opens up to a rucksack if needed (up to 1000 cu). I gave a review of that pack here: http://www.trailspace.com/gear/kelty/mg/review/8496/. I've been reducing my packweight since I first started hiking in the 60's as a Girl Scout. I'm too small to carry a lot of weight comfortably, so I've been fastpacking for years. In the 60's and 70's I wore only lumbar and hunter style legpacks. I still love my Kelty MG lumbar pack and will use that on 4 day or less backpacks.

As for the new Hennessy Hammock I just bought, this isn't the racer, it's the Hyperlight--there isn't even a picture on their site yet. It is very similar to the Ultralite that my son "wisely" absconded with. This one is perfect (in my mind) for women who are decidedly less than 200 lbs. Everything else seems to be made for 6 footers who are carrying some extra muscle and I'm a 5 footer carrying some extra vegie burgers. I just don't need the extra weight in fabric or ropes. I will be buying the MacCat deluxe tarp for more of a base camp atmosphere. I'll stick with the stock tarp for fastpacking.

I've used the hyperlight about 15 times this season and even when it twisted me upside down on the bug net one night it seems to have held up like new. I saw that it had happened to another woman in an archived post, but I'm not sure why. It only happened once and I think I got it twisted out of the snake skin. The next night I hung it and made sure it wasn't twisted, and never had the problem again.

:biggrin:

Gecko
2006-06-27, 22:06
I've had only four days where it was in the 40's or less with this HH. But my strategy is the same as for the ultralite. I carry a 3/4 50 degree bag (cut down to my size), a homemade silk liner, and an Advanced Medical bivvy sack, about 22 oz total. These three items become my "insulation" as needed. On one rainy night I think it was down to 35 degrees on the Pinchot Trail. I put on all my layers, extra socks, my hoody, and a hat. Then I put the silk liner in the 3/4 bag, then all that in the bivvy sack. I was pretty comfortable, and in better shape than the tent campers. They had three season tents, pads, and regular sleeping bags. There were reports of floods in the tents and a lot of shivering.

Here's my pack weight breakdown:

Pack 12 oz
Hammock 22 oz
Sleeping system 24 oz
Water system 16 oz
First Aid 8 oz
Tools (knife, light, rope, compass) 12 oz
Personal (contacts, hygiene, etc.) 8 oz
Raingear 18 oz
Clothing 32 oz
Tummy pack 16 oz
Camp shoes 10 oz
Misc 14 oz

total base pack weight = 12 lbs

I try to carry less. I can cut back on tools, water system, and misc. I've carried a 8 lb base pack for a 5 day trip. >^,^<

toddhiker
2006-07-01, 13:39
Hi Gecko. Very interesting insulation setup. Sounds versatile! At 6' 1", though, the 3/4 bag wouldn't quite work for me! Could you tell me more about your "tummy pack" and how you wear it? I can't picture how to wear it with a pack on????

Thanks

Gecko
2006-07-03, 22:21
The tummy pack is a typical pack a woman might wear to a flea market. Or a man. It has enough room for anythingn I need while on the trail, without having to dig through pockets, like tissues, spf lotion, bug spray, a few bandaids, snacks, hygiene stuff, survival tin, contacts, glasses, etc. I put that on first, then put on the lumbar pack with the belt under the tummy pack, or the gearskin. I tried doing without a tummy pack, but I like having a small pack handy that contains absolutely everhting I would need in an emergency in case I'm separated from the big gear.