PDA

View Full Version : Gearskin?

blackbishop351
2006-06-29, 14:55
Hi everybody...yes, I'm new. Have any of you used the Moonbow Gearskin the Sarge seems to like? I tried emailing him about it, but I didn't realize he was in Iraq. I'm wondering about the material. Apparently there are two choices, "pack cloth" or sil/nylon. What are the tradeoffs there? As far as durability vs weight.

Any comments, personal preferences, etc. are welcome.

Just Jeff
2006-06-29, 16:44
Whiteblaze.net has several threads on this topic - you can search the archives there as well.

Hog On Ice
2006-06-30, 09:48
Hi everybody...yes, I'm new. Have any of you used the Moonbow Gearskin the Sarge seems to like? I tried emailing him about it, but I didn't realize he was in Iraq. I'm wondering about the material. Apparently there are two choices, "pack cloth" or sil/nylon. What are the tradeoffs there? As far as durability vs weight.

Any comments, personal preferences, etc. are welcome.

I use a Gearskin - the one I have is pack cloth.

The tradeoffs as I understand it are:

1.) a Gearskin in sil will be lighter by a few ounces - just how many I am not sure since other things get in the way but as an example a small Gearskin (ie small harness and belt no extras) will be about 16 ounces whereas my Gearskin using 200 D packcloth and with a large harness and belt comes in at 24 ounces (no extras)

2.) sil against your back will cause your back to be rather sweaty but will also tend keep the sweat away from the contents of the Gearskin - that said I would rather be comfortable hiking than to rely on the limited protection against sweat that the sil offers

3.) wrt durability - both should be OK but you may need to take extra care with the sil option - I have had only a couple stitching issues over the years with my Gearskin - there is considerable stress on the attachment of the side straps to the fabric and a couple of them started to unstitch themselves as a result - some hand stitching with nylon thread took care of the issues - I have not seen much wear with the packcloth itself over the last 3.5 years.

blackbishop351
2006-06-30, 12:24
Thanks guys. I can't get over how flexible the system looks, but I'm having trouble getting over the price tag too : ) As far as weight goes, I'm perfectly happy with anything up to 2 lbs or so; I'm not in the 'ultralight' bracket yet, I suppose.

I had an idea too. It may or may not work well, and I'm certainly no expert since I don't even have a Skin yet. I've been using a Z-rest for years, regular length. I cut the pad in half (across the width) so that I basically have two short-length pads. I attached a light zipper at the cut point. In warm weather and on longer trips, I just take half the pad. For colder weather or short trips, I take the whole thing and zip it together for added comfort. The extra half also makes a great seat and a pretty decent pillow.

With this setup, it seems like I could have Moonbow put a hydration pouch in the Skin so my bladder would be right in the center of my back, then put one half of my pad on each side, folded up. This would almost create an internal pack type stay system, I think. It would also create a convenient place for my bladder, and the pad halves would keep it from compressing overmuch. Any thoughts?

I'm also thinking about a Cordura reinforcement for the 'bottom' of the Skin. Has anyone tried this?

blackdog
2006-06-30, 18:19
I'm also thinking about a Cordura reinforcement for the 'bottom' of the Skin. Has anyone tried this?
My daySkins (http://hikinghq.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1284) (mini gearSkins) are reinforced at the bottom. ...not with cordura, though.

DaySkin 0.3 is still in the pipeline, but progressing quite nicely.