PDA

View Full Version : Nesquik Windscreen

Just Jeff
2006-07-04, 16:48
Just posted this at whiteblaze, but I figured y'all'd be interested in it, too.

Step two in my alcohol stove experiment - I used a 4" diameter by 4.25" tall Nesquik can as a windscreen, ground cover and very stable pot support. Weighs 2-5/8 oz.

Still some tinkering to do, but I like the concept.

http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearNesquik.html

Any comments - good or bad? How can I make it better? How do I stop the flames from licking up the sides?

Skidsteer
2006-07-04, 18:23
Still some tinkering to do, but I like the concept.

http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearNesquik.html

Any comments - good or bad? How can I make it better? How do I stop the flames from licking up the sides?

I just replied on WB :biggrin: :

Looks interesting Jeff. I've been thinking along those same lines but with an old aluminum pot as the windscreen and a different type of air intake design.

As to the flames issue.

Two ways that I know of are:

-Decrease the diameter of the stove.
-Increase the diameter of the pot.

I didn't catch whether you made the stove or bought it from OES. If you made it yourself, you might try building the exact same stove using 10 oz. Michelob cans. Diameter is 2 3/8" vs. 2 5/8" for a standard pop/beer can.

I'm not sure 1/4" will make a huge difference, but hey, it's a good excuse to build another stove.

Skidsteer
2006-07-04, 18:24
Oh yeah, just remembered something.

In your description on http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearNesquik.html,
you mentioned how it was a pain to light the stove.

Don't forget the old dipping a long twig in the alcohol-light twig with lighter-light stove with twig trick.

oops56
2006-07-04, 19:47
You got to raise the pot up its to close plus where those pot pins are about up 1/2 in. or so need some holes for flame exit i done so many diff. ways just cant get it right the first time[p. s. the windscreen to tall must be about 1/4 + up side pot ]

Just Jeff
2006-07-04, 20:48
Skidsteer, the twig thing sounds like it'll solve the problem. How simple. I tried lighting some pine straw but it didn't work so well b/c it was damp - didn't even think about dipping it in the alcohol.

Oops56, I used the same height as the OES windscreen for the holes and never had this problem, but I also used the Walmart GP so it was a lot bigger diameter. I figured the height will be the first thing I start playing with, though, so it's good to hear that it might help. Don't think I've seen flame exit holes in windscreens, though - why are they needed?

I wanted the screen to be about 3/4" shorter, but I couldn't find a 4" diameter can that size. I almost bought a Dremel just to trim the can, though! How much of a difference do you think that 3/4" will make?

oops56
2006-07-04, 20:58
dont cut the screen just raise up stove and rods plus on that stove you got cut a bottom off same kind to fit the top opening not covering the jets it still work let it burn little then put cover on raise pot little higher mite help side flame you need some alum. flashing to mess with when you got it right then cut can

Lanthar
2006-07-05, 10:40
Another option for a 'wider' pot may be using a Henie-can pot. Also, reducing the number of air intake ports may reduce the burn rate.

However, I tend to agree with others that increasing the diameter of the pot and increasing the 'height' of the pot relative to the burner head are the key parts.

incognito
2006-07-10, 17:55
When the flames lick up the sides they do a lot of heating, let em be. As long as you get the magic numbers 2 cups water boiled with 1/2 ounce denatured alcohol.

Never deny your stove oxygen

Buy the Dremel

Just Jeff
2006-07-10, 18:24
But I'm just under 1.5 oz for 2 cups now. I think more ventilation will improve the efficiency - two more holes in the bottom. I can always cover the holes with something if I'm in windy conditions. Maybe I'll work on it some tonight and see how it changes.

One of the things I really like about the JetBoil over the alkie stoves is the stability. This setup is just as stable even though I can't pick it up while it's cooking like the JB...if I can find a way to make it work efficiently, I might just stick with alcohol.

JAK
2006-07-11, 16:22
I like it. It would also make a great wood stove if you ran out of fuel.

Also 4" diameter might just fit into a water bottle holder with a water bottle in it.

Lanthar
2006-07-13, 14:06
When the flames lick up the sides they do a lot of heating, let em be. As long as you get the magic numbers 2 cups water boiled with 1/2 ounce denatured alcohol.

Never deny your stove oxygen

Buy the Dremel

Ah, but ~75% of a flames heating capacity is lost to the air when it's licking up the side of the pot, at least the part that is licking. Heat (as opposed to hot air) transfers omni-directionally.

oops56
2006-07-13, 22:19
O. K. potato oven came the one the rignt like a football today try later sat or sun. that fire under that kettle is homemade fire biscuit made out of news paper sawdust wax and it will lite with a match i got hex tablets none toxic
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d52/oops62/th_hex4.jpg (http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d52/oops62/hex4.jpg)

JAK
2006-07-14, 07:30
I never thought to use own of those kettles as an oven. Way cool.