PDA

View Full Version : Upside down HH fly??

blackbishop351
2006-07-09, 00:14
I just got my HH (UL asym) and took it out for a couple of nights....HOLY @#@$@!!!! Just from the reviews, I thought it was one of the best ideas I'd seen, but WOW! I slept better than I ever have on the ground!

Only one little issue. I noticed when I set it up in my yard before the trip. To get the fly to line up right with the A-Sym, I had to flip it so the sewed parts of the seams were UP. This seems to be the wrong side up, maybe I'm just paranoid? I don't know that this would really cause a problem, but I wonder if it might catch and hold water? Any thoughts?

There may not be much I can do about it anyway; I took the cheap route and got it on Ebay. But I got the HH and snakeskins and shipping for less than the retail on the hammock, so I'm pretty happy with that.

Other than that, I'm a hammocker for life! :biggrin:

Mutinousdoug
2006-07-09, 10:56
BB351,
I think you have a non-issue but if it bothers you just un-hook the fly at each end and reverse the ends, then the tie-outs will line up like you want them to.

Just Jeff
2006-07-09, 11:59
Like doug says, you can flip it. You were probably flipping it over the wrong plane - from side to side. If you flip it from end to end it should line up.

Or you could just ignore it.

blackbishop351
2006-07-09, 13:27
Yeah, I'm an idiot! And to make matters worse, I'm a physics major. Feel free to shoot me :smile:

Mutinousdoug
2006-07-09, 14:47
Yeah, I'm an idiot! And to make matters worse, I'm a physics major. Feel free to shoot me :smile:

Physics major?
Good thing you didn't send it back to Tom telling him it was defective. He'd have gotten a kick out of that.

blackbishop351
2006-07-09, 17:45
Yeah I'm sure he would've...hope I've amused you guys too! :biggrin:

Take-a-knee
2006-07-10, 00:22
That ridiculous little tarp confused me also the first time I unfurled it. That stock tarp us about useless. I plan to make some snakeskins out of mine one day. You can order a hammock from Tom sans tarp for $49 less. That is about half-way to a McCat and then you are set.

blackbishop351
2006-07-10, 01:51
I've finally realized what's going on. I was RIGHT...the thing's upside down and no amount of flipping or turning (regardless of the axis of rotation) will fix it. The problem is that the tie-outs were tied to the wrong corners! It came like that, so I didn't think to check it. I retied them to the other corners, and everything's fine.

I'm also thinking about some modifications:

Replacing the original Prusik knots/hooks with my own knots. This serves two purposes; while they're off, I can slide my snakeskins BELOW the knots. Then the tarp can be attached while the hammock is 'skinned', keeping everything dry. The skins I have (#2) are too small at the narrow end to fit over the Prusik hooks. The other reason for doing this is so I can attach a couple of small loops of shock cord to the Prusik instead of the hooks. This should keep the tarp tight, even when the hammock sags (when I get in) or when it's raining.

Adding a directional Figure 8 knot just above the Prusik on each side. Then I can clip in a small biner, creating a pulley-type tensioning system for the support ropes (I already use a biner to go from rope to tree hugger). This should make adjustment and tensioning a LOT easier.

These are just ideas at the moment, but I'll be going out again next weekend to try them out. In the meantime, thoughts are welcome! :biggrin:

Turk
2006-07-10, 02:14
Replacing the original Prusik knots/hooks with my own knots. This serves two purposes; while they're off, I can slide my snakeskins BELOW the knots. Then the tarp can be attached while the hammock is 'skinned', keeping everything dry. The skins I have (#2) are too small at the narrow end to fit over the Prusik hooks. The other reason for doing this is so I can attach a couple of small loops of shock cord to the Prusik instead of the hooks. This should keep the tarp tight, even when the hammock sags (when I get in) or when it's raining.

Bishop,

I also have the same sized snakeskins on my HH, If you lay the prusik hooks
dead flat against the cord, the skins will go over the hooks with some effort.
This will let you tarp up with the skins closed. IF you really get jammed up,
put a 1/2" slit in the folded seam of the skins to get past the knots and
throw a couple stitches in afterward with a needle and thread.

About using shock cord for the tarp. You might find some problems with
this in moderate to high wind situations, unless you use a really strong
resisting shock cord. Also if you pitch the tarp very low, and separate
from the HH side tie outs you can then pull back on the stock prusik knots
and get a very taunt tarp that way. I haven't found anything as
versatile and fast as the prusik knots without adding quite a bit of weight.

My experience with a pulley system was not good, but maybe you will
have better luck. I also tried aluminum/Ti climbing ascenders, while
it worked, it was too heavy for the wt I was going for.

Here are a couple simple ideas you may or may not want to play around
with:
1) - ditch the tree-huggers. You lose about 2ft off your maximum
tree pitch distance, I have yet to see the HH cordage damage treebark,
and treehuggers invariably wick up tree sap which can leave a sticky
mess on your hammock, or other gear depending on how you pack it.

2) - make a few permanent loops in the head end line of your hammock.
You can trim off excess cordage and fix a UL climbing biner
to the same line with about 2 wraps around the tree. Then leave the
foot end of the hammock cord full length to adjust for height,distance,
and tension. This system is like using half of the EagleNest slap straps
rig. http://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.com/slap-strap-pro.html
What this also does is change the way the hammock sags as your
weight is off centre closer to the head-end tree than the foot end.
This is my favorite rig for speed setup. I use standard Hennessey knot
on the foot end.

Just some things to mull over. If you come up with any breakthroughs,
please share. There are alot of hammockers here, always looking for
new ideas on setup.

blackbishop351
2006-07-10, 03:13
Turk - You got an ascender to work? I had the same idea, but all the ascenders I've used (or researched) won't work with a rope as small as the support lines on the HH. If you've gotten them to work, take a look at the Petzl Tibloc. It's small and very lightweight.

The other idea I had, similar to the ascender, was to use a Prusik knot (or one of its variations), but I was afraid it might not hold the load. The load problem here was the reason I originally started thinking about a pulley-type system.

As I mentioned, I'm thinking about having a small biner tied into the support line just above the factory Prusik, and another (larger) biner to attach to the tree huggers. In setup, the line would go through the hugger-end biner, back to the small biner, back through the hugger biner, and then be lashed/tied off. This should significantly reduce the load at the loose end of the line. Did you try something similar? What problems did you have?

The SlapStrap idea is promising, but doesn't it restrict the centering? If it's not a problem, cool, but I've found (in my limited experience) that the HH needs to be DEAD center in order to be comfortable. Maybe not?

Thanks for the post - I'm always trying new ideas with my gear, but I can't always get good feedback :biggrin: