PDA

View Full Version : DIY Help??

blackbishop351
2006-07-15, 03:09
Is there anyone near me (Greensboro, NC) with experience making/modifying your own gear?

I ask because I've never so much as used a sewing machine, but I'm itching to try out some of the great gear ideas I keep finding. I can hand stitch in a pinch, but I'm not about to, for instance, try to hand-sew an underquilt.

The learning curve on this kind of thing looks pretty steep, especially for someone unfamiliar with the basic equipment/techniques. I thought if there were someone around who's experienced, I could flatten said curve a bit.

Take-a-knee
2006-07-15, 23:45
Look in the phone book and see if there is someone (usually an old guy, retired from some other job) that repairs sewing machines in your area. He can probably hook you up with a better machine than you could otherwise afford, and maybe he can line you up with someone who could get you started. The walmart machines are junk. The old japanese singers, and the european machines are the best( bernina and viking). Take some silnylon scraps with you and make sure the foot is adjusted to sew it. Ray Jardine has sewing and and machine advice on his website.

jimtanker
2006-07-15, 23:50
I live in Fayetteville and dont use my sewing machine much. Might take something in trade. Have to ask the wife first.

blackbishop351
2006-07-16, 00:17
Knee - thanks, I'll try that.

Tanker - really? I'm not sure what I've got that you might want, but I'd be willing to trade. PM me or email me and we can talk about it. After you clear it with the missus, of course! :biggrin:

Just since I've got you DIY-guys reading this already...I've been looking at Speers' PeaPod. Kinda makes me think. I've seen a couple of sleeping bags converted to a tube, kinda like the Pod. I'm wondering if a guy could integrate a homemade hammock INTO a sleeping bag, making a light, one-piece winter system? Thoughts?

Just Jeff
2006-07-16, 02:45
Check Risk's WarmHammock http://www.imrisk.com

And my DownHammock http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearDownHammock.html

blackdog
2006-07-16, 08:27
The old japanese singers, and the european machines are the best( bernina and viking).
Most of the sewing in this household is done on the wife's Husqvarna Viking, but recently i borrowed a friend's Pfaff machine and fell in love with the IDT (http://www.pfaff.com/global/195.html) system. The upper feeder makes sewing difficult fabrics easier. If you can find a used Pfaff with IDT for a good price, then don't hesitate. I'm buying one as soon as possible. ...and i'm borrowing one until then.

Iceman
2006-07-16, 11:53
Blackbishop351, watch out for JimTanker, he will want to drink gallons of beer with you as you discuss the topic! :beer:

:biggrin:

blackbishop351
2006-07-16, 14:23
Iceman - oh really?? Well I certainly don't want that. Ahem. LOL as long as it's not domestic, I'm happy. Darker the better. :biggrin:

jimtanker
2006-07-16, 18:31
Come on, it wasn't gallons. Ok that one time when Wes went with us. Was Wess with us? Was I even there at all?

Better than the looks you got pulling out your stove in the bar. LOL

Iceman
2006-07-16, 18:51
Yep, I'll never forget the looks on their faces when I whipped out my cast iron pot belly stove, ah' the good ol' days...

dropkick
2006-07-17, 05:43
Yep, I'll never forget the looks on their faces when I whipped out my cast iron pot belly stove, ah' the good ol' days...
After years of experience, I've found that most of the time, it's better to leave your clothes on when you visit a bar.

P.S. People also look at you funny when you use pet names for your body parts.