PDA

View Full Version : Water retrieval

blackbishop351
2006-07-15, 03:21
This is for those of you using bladders. How do you gather creek water?

I have two types of bladders. One is a small-mouth Outdoor Products 2L bag, the other is a Platypus zipper-mouth 3L bag. Even with the wide zipper top on the Platypus, I can't seem to find a good way to fill the bag. I've ended up getting an 1.5L aluminium bottle, pretty much a large-size fuel container. The rigid bottle lets me submerge and fully fill, then I pour the water into my bladder. I can't help thinking there's a better solution.

A friend looked at me like an idiot when I mentioned this, until she realized I don't use a filter pump. I've been using Iodine (Potable Aqua) since I started backpacking, and I really don't want to change to a filter.

Any ideas?

Just Jeff
2006-07-15, 13:28
Find a small waterfall if you can. If you can't, make one. Get a leaf or stick to "funnel" the water off a rock into the bladder.

Otherwise, just use a bottle like you're talking about. Except re-use a soda bottle - probably much lighter and cheaper than the one you're using. And when it gets dirty you can just throw it away instead of cleaning it.

That's how I do it, anyway. YMMV.

Frolicking Dino
2006-07-15, 16:17
For really shallow water sources where the method Jeff sugggest is not possible, I have used a ziplock to fill my water bottle. It is slow, but works and is worth it when deeper water is many miles away. I have also used my windscreen to funnel water into a ziplock from seeps

Take-a-knee
2006-07-16, 00:01
I carry a 16oz nalgene to fill a platypus and mix gatorade in. I would reccomend micropur tabs over the potable aqua, kills more cooties. I'm currently rigging up a Seychelle drip filter with two platys like the Jacks use and reccomend. You can just search seychelle and find the thread. Filter and treat is the way to go.

tdaward
2006-07-26, 21:33
I know what you are saying about not wanting to change to a filter. I've used bleach all my life, I've switched this year. I love the filter!!! You can fill your bladder with out getting it/your gear soaked and there is no wait. I've stopped carrying a 2 gallon water container and just pump what I need. I lost some weight and gain a little more with the filter, but I find it easier.

You've got the process down with the bottle, that's how I did it for years.....