PDA

View Full Version : Gear list

blackbishop351
2006-07-16, 01:10
Ok guys...for those of you I've managed to piss off (I can't imagine HOW :biggrin: ) over the last few weeks, here's your chance!

I finally got around to lugging my gear up to the post office (yes, I'm too cheap to buy a scale). So here it is! RIP AWAY!!

Gear Oz.

Camp Trails ex-frame pack 66.4
HH ULB with stock fly & #2 skins 28.2
Generic fleece sleeping bag 23.2
TOTAL 117.8

Primus Micron Stove 3.4
Stove stuff sack 0.3
Primus (al.) 1L Pot 9.5
Pot lid 3.3
Pot handle 1.6
Pot stuff sack 0.6
Camp soap 4.6
Lexan spork 0.4
Washcloth (pack cloth) 0.4
Lexan Cup 2.4
TOTAL 26.5

First aid kit (misc.) 4.4
Pack cover 4.9
Poncho 10.6
Tree huggers (short) 1.7
2 carabiners 4.5
4 generic (al.) stakes 3.2
Repair kit (misc.) 5.3
2 misc. cords 2.1
Bug spray 1.1
Tylenol & Antihistamine (in match case) 1.0
Potable Aqua 1.1
Small stuff sack 4.0
Maglite Mini (2AA) 3.9
TOTAL 47.8

GRAND TOTAL 192.1 =12 lbs. 1 oz.

blackbishop351
2006-07-16, 04:27
I just realized I forgot clothing. Oh well. I also didn't mention (it's pretty obvious) that this is a summer list.

Oh. Also forgot:

Sigg 1.5L water bottle 7.3 oz.
Outdoor Products 2L water bladder 5.7 oz.

Duh. Well. Pretty shabby list. Sorry, guys. But feel free to comment on what I DIDN'T forget :biggrin:

Take-a-knee
2006-07-16, 10:52
I would get a better light than a minimag, they leak and corrode, I've been left in the dark by them quite a few times. The bulbs don't live long either. If you want to stick with 2AA get a CMG( Ithink they were bought by Gerber) LED/ 1AA light. Spend the money for lithium batteries, they are lighter and work in the cold, they really aren't as expensive as they appear 'cause they last longer than alkalines. I just bought a Princeton headlamp (the Scout, I think it's called) that uses lithium coin cell batteries, it is just enough light to walk a trail with. Some guys just use those little photon keychain lights, they last quite a while.

jimtanker
2006-07-16, 11:14
Pretty nice list. I too am one of those types that take my stuff to the Post Office to get weighed.

Get some interresting looks down there???

Iceman
2006-07-16, 11:50
I am the wrong guy to ask about shaving weight, but your soap is 4.6oz?, take less.

SowthEfrikan
2006-07-16, 12:35
Suntan lotion? Lip ice? Dermatone in one UL package.

Also don't like your 3.9 light. My bulky but favourite energizer headlamp, white and red LED, with strap (for about $12, thank you, WalMart!) and batteries comes in at 2.08, and I've used it in rain. My retractable Petzl Tikka Plus is 2.3. And Black Diamond has a light that weighs nothing - but it lights little, too. I've been on trips where I have had to let others use my light.

Do you really need a 1L pot? My entire kitchen - 2 ti pots (1 lid equals a pan), potcleaner, ti stove, Bronners as dishsoap, matches, Gerber multipurpose knife/scissors/tweezer, cloth, 2 ti sporks, egglifter, mesh stowsack is 14.6. We cook for two. I was thinking it needs to come down.

I hear tree huggers sound great but don't actually do much. Am considering leaving mine behind in future.

As for your pack :smile: ... stick it on ebay.

JAK
2006-07-16, 12:56
Just goes to show how much more stuff you can carry if you hike naked.
I would have to lose much weight before I did that however. Vanity.
If your gonna get yourself arrested, you might as well look your best. :)

p.s. Nice list.

blackbishop351
2006-07-16, 14:19
Thanks for the posts, guys. Let's see...

I too am one of those types that take my stuff to the Post Office to get weighed.

Get some interresting looks down there???

Nah I went at about 2 am :biggrin: Not even a homeless guy to look at me like I was crazy lol.

I am the wrong guy to ask about shaving weight, but your soap is 4.6oz?, take less.

Yeah I've been thinking maybe a contact solution bottle for less soap. I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Do you really need a 1L pot? My entire kitchen - 2 ti pots (1 lid equals a pan), potcleaner, ti stove, Bronners as dishsoap, matches, Gerber multipurpose knife/scissors/tweezer, cloth, 2 ti sporks, egglifter, mesh stowsack is 14.6.

I've found that I do need a 1L pot often enough to keep using this one. The next thing I may do with the kitchen is a Jetboil. Looking at this section of the list, I think it might shave some ounces. I'm also going to start 'boiling only'. I really don't cook much anyway.

As for a light, I definitely want a headlamp. That was actually going to be a new thread pretty soon, but since we're talking about it anyway....:biggrin: What do you guys recommend? I'd like something light, with a couple of brightness settings. Definitely something I could night hike with. I've basically been using my minimag as a headlamp anyway; I stick it in the vegetation loops on my boonie hat :biggrin: .

As for clothing, I entirely forgot to take it to get weighed. But I don't think I can improve on it much. I wear lightweight workout clothes from Walmart, polyester I think. They wick pretty darn well for only costing $10 or so.

As for your pack ... stick it on ebay.

Actually, I just stuck my OTHER pack on Ebay :biggrin: Believe it or not, the CampTrails is the lighter of the two. The one I sold was a Kelty Red Cloud internal that weighed over 6 lbs. !! It also never fit right. I'm just using the CampTrails until I get a GearSkin anyway :biggrin:

I'll get a more complete list up soon....in the meantime, continue ripping! And thanks again!!

Redleg
2006-07-16, 14:52
Gear Oz.

Camp Trails ex-frame pack 66.4

try a go lite at 11 to 14 oz. mine has held up for 8 years now.
(OR try a fanatic fringe at 7 to 9 oz)

HH ULB with stock fly & #2 skins 28.2
Generic fleece sleeping bag 23.2Washcloth (pack cloth) 0.4
Lexan Cup 2.4

try an evernew Ti. 400 at 1.9 0z(including black paint, mine is my pot)
TOTAL 26.5

Pack cover 4.9
Poncho 10.6

isnt a poncho a pack cover?

Maglite Mini (2AA) 3.9

I carry 3 photons, one rigged with velcro. all 3 under 1 oz. left the rred on for 2 weeks constant, before i had to change Batts. --redundant Dept of rerdundancies.--

I love looking at pack lists, but EVERY pack list reflects a philosophy of use.
If it works for you, and you list and revue(sp) then its all good.
jaf

blackbishop351
2006-07-16, 15:01
Just as an afterthought. My CampTrails is pretty worn, but it's in one piece. Probably needs a new hip belt soon. It's a bit worse off than I'd want to put on Ebay, though. However, it'd make a good, FAIRLY light first pack for a newbie. Lots of adjustability and all that. If somebody's in the market for such a thing... :biggrin: Hopefully I won't be using it too much longer. I'm going to NY state in a coupla weeks and I'm gonna try to swing by Moonbow while I'm there to get fitted. So. If interested, let me know.

deadeye
2006-07-16, 21:41
Since this is a summer list, have you considered an umbrella? I can't imagine hiking in a poncho. I hiked through Katrina last year - four solid days of anything from drizzle to downpours - so I had the opportunity to thoroughly test a variety of rain protection. And in case you haven't heard, New England has had a very wet :captain: spring and summer, so the testing has continued for almost a year. For me, the umbrella wins hands down. Now all I carry is a pertex windshirt (3 oz) and my trusty umbrella (7 oz). I don't bring along the w/b raingear unless I'm going to be above timberline for extended periods.

blackbishop351
2006-07-16, 22:08
deadeye - the poncho I have is the cheap Walmart variety - very heavy and non-breathable. But I prefer ponchos to full rain gear in warm weather; they breathe better in general. I can't imagine carrying an umbrella???? on the trail, especially not with trekking poles. In any case, I'll be upgrading to a silnylon or tyvek poncho soon.

Hog On Ice
2006-07-17, 09:17
I had the same problem imagining using an umbrella with trekking poles but after messing up my shoulder cutting blowdown after a hurricane in the Sipsey I now only use one trekking pole and I have an arm to hold the umbrella - the umbrella works really well and holding it doesn't cause my bursitis to hurt too much.

deadeye
2006-07-17, 09:57
You have identified the 'catch' with using an umbrella. I'm generally a single-pole person, so not a problem for me, but there aren't a whole lot of three-armed hikers out there. :biggrin:

On the other hand, if you're using that external frame pack, I'll bet there are plenty of gear heads around here that could come up with a way to attach the umbrella to the frame, including some shock-corded break-away features.

blackbishop351
2006-07-17, 10:32
deadeye - yeah I thought about that too, after my last post. But like I said, I'm getting a Gearskin soon (I hope!), so I don't want to buy an umbrella I'm only going to use for couple of months.