PDA

View Full Version : We Need To Know What We Are Touching!



Lt.Schueller
2006-07-27, 13:45
Check out diff. servival guides too see what you might be touching!

Lt.Schueller
2006-07-27, 13:46
wow i ti inufrech mi olobac insech

Lt.Schueller
2006-07-27, 13:47
i dont think we have to touch poison ivy.... do you?

jimtanker
2006-07-27, 14:57
I touch myslef sometimes.

Turk
2006-07-27, 17:21
I looked at something once ... and wound up married

Touched, something once and wound up with a daughter..

Keep your hands in your pockets and your eyes closed.
Run if possible.

dixicritter
2006-07-27, 19:55
Is there a question here?

Amigi
2006-07-27, 21:30
I love myself
I want you to love me
When I'm feelin' down
I want you above me
I search myself
I want you to find me
I forget myself
I want you to remind me

Chorus:
I don't want anybody else
When I think about you
I touch myself
I don't want anybody else
Oh no, oh no, oh no

You're the one who makes me happy honey
You're the sun who makes me shine
When you're around I'm always laughing
I want to make you mine

I close my eyes
And see you before me
Think I would die
If you were to ignore me
A fool could see
Just how much I adore you
I get down on my knees
I'd do anything for you

I love myself
I want you to love me
When I'm feelin' down
I want you above me
I search myself
I want you to find me
I forget myself
I want you to remind me


I want you
I don't want anybody else
And when I think about you
I touch myself
Ooh, oooh, oooooh, aaaaaah

JAK
2006-07-27, 22:17
I gotta say. I can't believe I haven't gotten into poison oak or poison ivy yet.
I've done a lot of bushwacking in shorts. I've gotten torn apart by raspberry bushes mixed up in tall grass, but I've never gotten into poison oak or poison ivy yet. Are some people imune, or have I just been stupid and lucky?

One thing I am very conscious of, but still make a mistakes on regularly, is sun burn and sun stroke. Really sucks the energy out of you when you gotta get up and hike again the next day, so I try to keep covered up. I don't bother with the sunscreen, so much as going straight to the long sleeves and sunhat, and zinc oxide on the nose. Knees can still take a beating though, so I spread some zinc on there also.

Amigi
2006-07-28, 00:38
I gotta say. I can't believe I haven't gotten into poison oak or poison ivy yet.
I've done a lot of bushwacking in shorts. I've gotten torn apart by raspberry bushes mixed up in tall grass, but I've never gotten into poison oak or poison ivy yet. Are some people imune, or have I just been stupid and lucky?

One thing I am very conscious of, but still make a mistakes on regularly, is sun burn and sun stroke. Really sucks the energy out of you when you gotta get up and hike again the next day, so I try to keep covered up. I don't bother with the sunscreen, so much as going straight to the long sleeves and sunhat, and zinc oxide on the nose. Knees can still take a beating though, so I spread some zinc on there also.
My father is a landscaper and over the years he has built up an complete immunity to the stuff, but I get it just by looking at it. But I never get it bad, like all over my body. I try to wash with soap immed. to break down the oil that causes the rash.

Hog On Ice
2006-07-28, 08:36
I gotta say. I can't believe I haven't gotten into poison oak or poison ivy yet.
I've done a lot of bushwacking in shorts. I've gotten torn apart by raspberry bushes mixed up in tall grass, but I've never gotten into poison oak or poison ivy yet. Are some people imune, or have I just been stupid and lucky?


All it means is that you have not been sensitized to it _YET_

Its an allergic reaction so there are two options - stay away from the stuff so that you don't become sensitized to it is the better choice but if already sensitized to the oil then it is possible to desensitize your self through various means - the classic method is to start in the spring when the first leaves of poison ivy come out and start eating them starting with very small leaves and increasing the size as spring progresses.

Iceman
2006-07-28, 11:37
Bhmm trmmf mummpf mmuuh poohm, mip woompfs goonmppf!

Buggyman
2006-07-28, 14:46
We have tons of poison oak here in the Sacramento area. Many years ago I unknowingly got the poison oak oil on my hands and then had to drain the lizard. Of course anything that comes in contact with the oil gets a bad case of monkey butt. I learned to recognize poison oak real fast after that experience!

Btw, 112 degrees in Sacramento last Saturday, at least 105 the last 9 days, I guess it could be worse.

Spice1
2007-05-09, 13:43
I've blown through it with hedge trimmers, weed whackers when clearing blackberry bushes and never gotten so much as a welt. I am still cautious as all get up about it. I don't mind having it all over me and my clothing, but when I get home, I put my clothes in a t-shirt before putting it in the hamper and I wash with tecnu. You see, everything you touch does get a bad case of "monkey butt" and my girl doesn't have the thick skin I do.

The eating trick does work, I've got more than a few friends who swear by it, but I always heard to eat the buds before the leaves start showing up. I don;t bother with it either way... yet...

But really, what was this thread about?

sailingsoul
2007-05-09, 14:23
Its an allergic reaction so there are two options - stay away from the stuff so that you don't become sensitized to it is the better choice but if already sensitized to the oil then it is possible to desensitize your self through various means - the classic method is to start in the spring when the first leaves of poison ivy come out and start eating them starting with very small leaves and increasing the size as spring progresses. Woooawo,, DING DONG, DING DONG!!!!:afraid: What is this? Oh! It's the SGT ROCK's bullshit alarm is going off. Poison Ivy Myths , Eating poison ivy can result in a serious reaction and can even be fatal.http://paipm.cas.psu.edu/pivy.html I bet Hog is that guy who got the slow kid to lick the flag pole in winter! SS:captain:

p.s. This is just my opinion , My entry is not meant to offend "Hog" or any other reader.

sailingsoul
2007-05-09, 18:46
p.s. This is just my opinion , My entry is not meant to offend "Hog" or any other reader.
Well! For some I jumped the gun. I found this

"From: Deborah Duchon <antdadx.GSUSGI2.GSU.EDU>

Evan Ravitz suggested eating poison ivy to immunize yourself. I've tried it, and thought you'd be interested since we're on the subject.

I read about it in a Euell Gibbons book (of Stalking the Wild Asparagus fame). According to Gibbons, Native Americans used to immunize themselves by eating samll amounts of newly-emerged leaves in the early early spring, before the poison gets strong. Here's how. Find very young leaves when they first come out. THey are small, fuzzy, and red. Eat one the first day, w the second day, and so on up to five days. You will be immunized for one year.

I tried this for several years running, but chickened out after 3 the third day. It worked for me. I spend a lot of time outside and used to spend every growing season with some poison ivy somewhere on my body.

Poison ivy will not affect mucous membranes (mouth and digestive system), but some people get an "exit wound" -- a rash around the anus. I suspect they might have an impaired liver, unable to properly metabolize the stuff. As a result, I don't think it should be recommended, even though it works in my particular case. -- END QUOTE


I have never had a bad case of it so I have not suffered like those who have. Maybe if I had gotten a bad case several times I might think diff' on eat Poison Ivy. SS:captain:

BDawg
2007-06-06, 19:10
You may not need to immunize yourself.

Its a fact that only a certain percent of people will be effected by poison oak/ivy, im one of the lucky ones i think.

After getting dog pile on in the middle of a poison ivy coated trail intersection, I alerted the perps dog piling me that they would be scratching there balls off soon and they should probly go home seek medical attention. 2 days later im itchy ball free and all the perps were in a hurt 10 miles from the closest road out.

So if you've never had poison oak /Ivy then you may not need to immunize yourself, you might want to test it / or not...its still good to know.

Spice1
2007-06-16, 02:27
I got my first rash!

Spent a few days lying under the cabin reinforcing the foundation, lying in the stuff. Lo and behold, I got four bumps on my right arm. Problem is, I itch constantly now, just thinking about it.

Since I work with volunteers all day, I have become very aware of it, pointing it out, making them wash with tecnu if they frolic in it. Had one of my earlier volunteers get a popeye arm, from the swelling, and he simply passed through it. I keep family sized jugs of tecnu at the ranch, the cabin and in my apartment.

Truth be told, I get more abrasions and redness from having fence wires snap into my hands. Hard to type tonight, thank god for firefox's spell checker. YOUCH!

Spice1
2007-06-16, 02:29
Yerba Santa, mixed with Gulf Gum Weed makes a good soothing agent of rpoison oak. It's common wildcraft lore that any poison has a remedy within fifty paces in the wild. Since yerba santa makes excellent chewing gum, and is 90% of the weeds in my garden, it makes it remarkably easy to spot the oak. I see santa and know their is oak nearby. You guys know of any healing companions to Poison Ivy, Sumac or nettle?

Nettle is so not worthy of worry, stings for about half an hour and goes away. I've seen some TERRIBLE cases of oak though.