PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Intro to Hammocks ?

JAK
2006-07-27, 22:36
What would you recommend as a cheap way to introduce myself to hammock camping? I am back in school right now, so I am on a budget. I am also getting upwards of 215-230#, depending on how kind the scales are, so I want to stretch that dollar, but not have it break in the middle of the night.

Summer use only for starters. We have lots of trees to pick from also. Is there a simple build it yourself design, or should I try something cheap from a store? I think I would like to try that sleep on a diagonal type. Also, I have a full length blue foam pad 72"x28". Would I leave that at home or might that help spread the load?

I have an old sail made out of 3.8oz dacron. That is 3.8oz cloth per sailmakers yard, which is really 4.8oz per square yard. Too heavy? Not breathable enough? If I did use it, it is a little stretchier on the bias (diagonal). Does it matter which way would I align the cloth? The panels are 28" wide. Do I go with one panel, and keep the seam on both sides, or do I go with 28" plus a little bit on each end? Do I cut the thing like a rectangle or a parallelogram? How long?

JAK
2006-07-27, 23:04
Here is an interesting design for on board ship.
http://www.australianheritagefleet.com.au/SpecEv/Hammock.html

Looks heavy, but interesting for a side sleeper.

dropkick
2006-07-28, 01:11
Here is an interesting design for on board ship.
http://www.australianheritagefleet.com.au/SpecEv/Hammock.html

Looks heavy, but interesting for a side sleeper.
As I haven't tried it, I can't say this for sure, but it looks like an unneeded complicated mess of a hammock, and I wouldn't even try building one like it.
I can sleep on my side just fine in a regular hammock (but with use you'll find that sleeping on your back is very comfortable - no matter how you sleep outside of a hammock).

Here are 2 sites with easy hammock designs:
www.tothewoods.net/JeffsHikingPage.html
www.imrisk.com

--You'll need insulation under your upper body when the temperature drops below 70F at night, so keep your pad handy. - You can learn more from the above sites.

toddhiker
2006-07-28, 09:51
JAK,

I agree with above :dito: , both Risk's & Jeff's designs are simple & will help you with issues you haven't thought of yet. They did a good job.

...Toddhiker

JAK
2006-07-29, 15:51
Thanks. I will try to follow the pictures, and practice over a soft landing. :)