PDA

View Full Version : How much fuel?

GregH
2006-07-29, 13:31
I'm going into the Quetico for 10 days in a group 9 men and for the first time there is a burn ban in effect. I have been searching all over, including the MSR site, and cannot find a recommendation on fuel consumption. Assuming cooking and light KP, approximately how much white gas would you need per day for one person?

Thanks for the help.

Greg

oops56
2006-07-29, 14:01
Well if it was me i start cooking on it ever day at home to find out

GregH
2006-07-29, 14:02
I found this link from Outside Online's Gear Guy http://outside.away.com/outside/gear/gearguy/200307/20030731.html but he recommends 0.5 pints/8 oz. per day per person. On hacpackers.org they recommend 2 oz. per day.
What say ye?

dropkick
2006-07-29, 19:43
This is an entirely subjective amount, depending on several things:
How many hot meals are you eating in a day?
What are you eating? (different foods require different cook times)
How much are you cooking? (amounts)
One pot meals, or 2 or more?
How much does fuel your stove use to boil a cup of water?
Altitude? (takes a small amount more the higher you go)
Will you want hot water for washing/shaving yourself?

-If you want to save fuel I recommend 1 pot meals and using a cozy (insulated container). - You boil the water, mix it with the food, and put it in the cozy to finish off.
-If you want I can send you some recipes. I'm trying to put together a collection.

Amigi
2006-07-29, 21:17
This is an entirely subjective amount, depending on several things:
How many hot meals are you eating in a day?
What are you eating? (different foods require different cook times)
How much are you cooking? (amounts)
One pot meals, or 2 or more?
How much does fuel your stove use to boil a cup of water?
Altitude? (takes a small amount more the higher you go)
Will you want hot water for washing/shaving yourself?

-If you want to save fuel I recommend 1 pot meals and using a cozy (insulated container). - You boil the water, mix it with the food, and put it in the cozy to finish off.
-If you want I can send you some recipes. I'm trying to put together a collection.
And what stove? White gas Pocket Rocket, Coleman,...? We need more info, bro.

GregH
2006-07-29, 21:33
Thanks for the help:
1. 9 men on the trip.
2. We'll cook breakfasts that are typically pancakes, bacon, and coffee. Dinner will be a rice or pasta-based meal in 1 big pot with a pot of vegetables. Lunch is no-cook. A couple of our breakfasts (the first and last day) will be granola and only need coffee. Lots of coffee.
3. Stoves are 2 MSR Whisperlite Internationale's and an MSR XGK.
4. We'll carry in white gas.
5. Cozys won't work because there are 9 of us.
6. KP will consist of some hot rinse water each evening.

Each stove should run approximately 80 minutes on 16 oz of white gas. Our cook estimates 30 minutes of cooking time for dinner using all three stoves. He said breakfast is likely 20 minutes. More for an extra pot of coffee or two. We're calculating 3 gallons including a moderate reserve.
How does this sound to y'all?

Take-a-knee
2006-07-30, 00:11
I strongly advise you to change the O-rings in those MSR stoves before going on a remoter trip. A friend of mine had to kick his into the creek a couple of years ago. If you don't have the MSR maintanence kit, it would be a smart buy. Xerox the troubleshooting page and laminate it unless you've torn that stove down many times.

JAK
2006-07-30, 00:12
Sounds like good eating.

What you could do is build some flexibility into your plan by bringing a simple hobbo stove in case you run low on fuel. Perhaps the three gas stoves plus the hobbo stove might even work better right from the get go.

dropkick
2006-07-30, 00:48
30 min. + 20 min. = 50 min.
50 min. x 10 days = 500 min.
500 min./80 min. (stove burn time) = 6.25 fuel refills
6.25 x 16 oz. (stove fuel capacity) = 100 oz.
100 oz. x 3 (number of stoves) = 300 oz. needed

128 oz. in a U.S. gal.
128 x 3 = 384
84 extra oz.

-If the cook is correct.

Amigi
2006-07-30, 00:59
My .02c, but scrap the pancakes and go with oatmeal. Oatmeal is light, filling, easy to make, easy to clean, and can be mixed with dried fruit for a better nutritional balance and instant morning energy. Pancake powder is heavy, requires mixing to remove the lumps, needs a hiking gridle to cook, takes more fuel than your calculating to cook as you need to evaporate water ( not just boil ), a bitch to clean without soap and a scrub pad, and a tough meal on the body to hike on.

I think your fuel calculation is light, so take a hobo along just in case.

GregH
2006-07-30, 17:49
I can't change the menu at this stage of planning. The hobo stove is a good idea as a backup. I'll make sure we have a couple in the kitchen.
Man, I wish it would rain...

GregH
2006-08-16, 18:27
I'm happy to report that it DID rain and the burn ban was lifted the day before we went in. We were particularly careful with the fire and kept it smaller than usual.
The trip was great and we ate a lot of smallmouth bass and walleye pike. :lollypop: