PDA

View Full Version : Big Bend, Texas, help?

SowthEfrikan
2006-07-29, 15:38
Has anyone here been to Big Bend, specifically trekked down to the South Rim? I've booked accommodation at the Chisos Basin campsites for our arrival, but the rest is rather foggy. I called the park and spoke to someone, asking if it was anything like Grand Canyon where you might have to stand in line for three days to get a backcountry permit, and she sounded uncertain. All she could offer is that they did tend to all go, and suggested we got there before opening. Ja, well, not much help. :rolleyes:

I also have other questions, especially about kitting out for what could be extreme night and day temperatures, and am hoping someone here can help.

Take-a-knee
2006-07-29, 16:14
Those well-motivated park babes are a real pain, ain't they? I've not been to the Big Bend area but I've heard you need to be more concerned about illegal immigrants more than rattlesnakes, national park or no, I would pack accordingly.

lucky luke
2006-07-30, 15:42
hi,

last time i was there was in 99, and there was no trouble geting permits over the new years holidays. might have changed. however hardly anyone goes out of the basin on foot. so once you leave the south rim youŽll be on your own. it is a wonderful area, i circled the rim going back in in the west and leaving south-east in 1986. rangers told me no water, but actually there was plenty at the springs, even though it was in july!. in 99 i hiked out to the rio grande, also on my own without meeting anyone.

have fun, and say high! to texas for me. and talking about wetbacks. i am one myself. swam the rio grande in 1986 coming back from mexico on a bicicle trip. the ranger got BIG eyes when i showed up with my passport to get the entry-permit.

you wont see a ranger out ther in the backcountry and i have never seen a rattler that did not give me a fat loud warning. so have fun!

the rim hikes are crowded.. well i met some people, however there were more people in trailcrews than hikers that i met.

nice hangouts are the hot springs in the rio grande and the canon area is pretty too.

happy trails
lucky luke

SowthEfrikan
2006-07-30, 17:03
Thanks guys -

We will be there over Thanksgiving, which is one of the busiest times of the year. I'm not sure about the water - summer is the wet season, apparently incredible heat but thunderstorms in the afternoon, and we will be there fall/winter, the dry season. I expect to carry all our water through the mountains and if we find any, not to use it.

We are hoping that we can get to the Cattail Falls, probably drive there and hike in the last hour or so, but that would be a separate day trip.

It's getting to the rim and back - all that water, and gear for heat and cold. It's going to be a heavy load.

Hog On Ice
2006-07-31, 09:52
you may want to check some of the other forums - for example: http://www.thebackpacker.com/trailtalk/index.php?title=big+bend&age=9999

Skidsteer
2006-08-01, 07:58
I also have other questions, especially about kitting out for what could be extreme night and day temperatures, and am hoping someone here can help.

You're probably right to expect extreme temp variations.

I went mule deer hunting very near Big Bend in the early 1990's over the Thanksgiving holiday. Single digit temps every night and 85-95 during the day.

I can't say if that's typical of that season or not but that's what we got. Beautiful country.

SowthEfrikan
2006-08-05, 12:28
Nice link, Hog on Ice. I've been reading some of the postings and in 2000 they are talking about crossing into Mexico by boat. Friends the other evening were telling us about a trip they took there years ago, and the hot springs that are on the Mexican side. It's such a shame things have changed so much.

Skidster, I'm shaving off ounces but taking my camera!

tango61
2006-08-06, 01:42
Hi guys. I've been reading Sgt. Rock's board for a while, but never chimed in.

SowthEfrikan, there is a guy over on the backpacking.net bulletin board that has a lot of experience in Big Bend. He goes by the name of Dryer.

Here's a link to the board.
http://www.backpacking.net/bbs.html

Here's a link to an article in the Texas Parks & Wildlife magazine.
http://www.tpwmagazine.com/archive/2005/aug/ed_1/

Tango

SowthEfrikan
2006-08-07, 20:06
Kewl, I'm on my way over to check out those links. Thanks, Tango. Although I sleep cold it's my hubby I'm worried about, he's not as hard core as I. Poor guy puts up with a lot.