PDA

View Full Version : d'oh - bear sack improvement

dropkick
2006-08-06, 00:13
I built my bear sack a while back. Basically I made a stuff sack with some para cord and a weight bag attached.

It has worked out o.k. except everytime I wanted to get something out of it, I just about had to empty the bag.

I solved some of this by adding a separate bag for my pots, pans, stove, soap, toothpaste, etc. (and using the balancing method for hanging) ...But it was still a pain.

I was straightening out some of my gear tonight and seeing what foods I had left from last trip in the bag, when the stupidly simple answer to my problem hit me (...literally hit me ...it fell off the shelf in the closet).

I need to use a duffle bag!

You can get very inexpensive, lightweight duffles (Walmart or the Dollar Store). Watertightness isn't a a big issue with me as I keep my foods separately bagged in plastic (might treat the bag anyway) and the handles make a handy tie on.
And most important they open all the way up, so access is easy!

Don't know why I didn't think of it before.

Take-a-knee
2006-08-06, 01:17
I'm new to the bear bag thing, it has been 25yr since I left AK and when I left GA bears were scarce there. Now the bears( and the hogs) are an issue in the Southeast. I stumbled (on whiteblaze I think) on the method of hanging your bag with a mini biner clipped on the bag with the line clipped through it. You reach up as high as you can reach and tie a clove hitch in the cord, as you lower the food sack, the sack comes down, the stick goes up and jams against the biner, hopefully still above a bears reach. If this works as planned a sylnylon bag is all you need, no heavy bear bag.

dropkick
2006-08-06, 06:37
I'm new to the bear bag thing, it has been 25yr since I left AK and when I left GA bears were scarce there. /..../ If this works as planned a sylnylon bag is all you need, no heavy bear bag.
A bear bag is normally a silnylon bag. Usually a stuff sack is used, like you would use for your sleeping bag.

I think your getting it confused with a bear container, which is a big lexan container to put your stuff in, or with the UrSack (spelling?) which is a bag made from Kevlar or something similar. Both of these don't require hanging, you usually just secure them to a tree trunk 100 yards from the camp, so a bear doesn't take it away.

My whole epiphany was replacing the nylon stuff sack with a nylon duffle bag.
The duffle only weighs maybe 1 oz. more than the stuff sack, because of the strap handle and zipper.

SowthEfrikan
2006-08-06, 11:09
It depends on where you go hiking in the US - if you are out for more than a day in some areas the rangers demand real protection for your food. I didn't want to buy a canister as I am not going near Yosemite any time soon, but I did want something that would defeat rodents (and possibly the odd bear) just over the border in Oklahoma. My ursack has been wonderful - it's tough and light and Yosemite has given it provisional approval there, too.

Take-a-knee
2006-08-06, 11:17
Yes, I was refering to the Ursack, Gregory also makes a bear bag of ballistic nylon, it comes with 40ft of paracord so that it can be hung. I ordered one of those from Campmor and I sent it back 'cause it was way to large( Gregory makes a smaller size but Campmor doesn't carry it) and much too heavy. I will buy an Ursack before I go out west, if I'm someplace where the trees are too short to hang that is the smart thing to use.

TeeDee
2006-08-18, 22:27
Keep your ursack away from bears - I read a post somewhere concerning the ursack and bears. The ursack may not suffer defeat to the bears, but bears have digestive enzymes in their saliva. Their breath smells like rotten meat only worse - talk about really, really, really bad breath (at least to a human, maybe not a another bear :biggrin: ).

I personally would not touch anything in the ursack after it was mauled by a bear. Then again I might if I was hungry enough. My Dad liked Limburger cheese, so maybe it wouldn't bother him.

TeeDee

dougmeredith
2006-08-20, 09:49
I did want something that would defeat rodents (and possibly the odd bear) just over the border in Oklahoma. My ursack has been wonderful

From ursack.com:

"Ursack is highly effective against Marmots and raccoons. It should not be considered wolf or dog resistant. That's because they have sharp teeth and strong jaws. Bears have great strength, but their teeth are not sharp.
Other rodents have varying degrees of success. Sometimes mice can chew very small holes, but very little of your food is likely to be taken. Some species of squirrels and (we have heard) pine martens have greater success, and may on rare occasion chew holes in Ursack."

Doug

GregH
2006-08-20, 12:54
The solution may be to post a guard with a rifle!

TeeDee
2006-08-20, 19:15
I think that hanging the Ursack with the contents inside their odor proof zip lock, should keep everything failry safe (nothing is 100%).

Anthing that can get the sack that is 10' or more off the ground will probably maul it pretty good no matter what. But first they have to be able to detect it. The order proof zip should solve most of that problem.

Stay away from areas where bears have learned to associate humans with quick/easy food and thus learned the tricks to get at it, will help a lot also.

TeeDee

Take-a-knee
2006-08-20, 21:31
One name brand of odor proof storage bag is the Alosack. Also, I've found that oven bags are quite odor resistant, I found that out by using them to pick up dog poop (turn it inside out and use it like a glove). Once you tie them off you smell nothing, unlike a regular plastic bag.