PDA

View Full Version : Scored ebay HH, overcover question

ripvanarkie
2006-08-10, 16:08
I'm just a little excited, I scored an Ultralite Backpacker A-sym on ebay for $60 (lightly used w/o rainfly). I chill easily and had always planned to replace the fly with an overcover for more warmth and possibly modify the overcover to double as a fly. My question is, have any of you experience with the overcover? Pros/cons?
Thanks in advance,
Steve in AR
:elefant:

Take-a-knee
2006-08-10, 20:32
Dude, I almost bought that hammock last night, you got lucky. It was late and I said I'll check on it in the morning. He who hesitates is lost.

Just Jeff
2006-08-10, 23:06
If you're talking about the HH overcover, it has a big opening in the middle for ventilation and is designed to be used under the fly. Covering that hole to make it double as a fly may dangerously restrict ventilation and would probably increase condensation under most conditions. It also wouldn't protect the sides of the hammock. I'm sure with some ingenuity you could find a way to adapt it...not sure how much benefit there would be over the 7 oz stock fly, though. Only one way to find out! Be sure to post pics if you make it!

If you're talking about a different overcover, I'll just shut up! :p

ripvanarkie
2006-08-11, 11:33
I couldn't believe it had been on ebay for 18hrs without a bid at $1!

I think I will get the fly, as you said, it doesn't weigh much and would be good for early fall and late spring as well as full sun conditions.

I haven't even seen a pic of the overcover, just the descr. from HH.

Just want to say I love this forum!

Later,
Steve in AR

deadeye
2006-08-11, 12:01
As long as you're checking out tarps for your HH, check out these:

http://outdoorequipmentsupplier.com/maccattarps.htm

Take-a-knee
2006-08-11, 13:03
Ditto on the reccomendation for an OES tarp.

Just Jeff
2006-08-11, 13:20
Yep - several thread here about MacCats and JRBs...do a quick search and you'll learn all you need to know about staying dry in a hammock.

You may find my site useful, too:
http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockCamping.html

GregH
2006-08-11, 15:11
Hey Jeff,
I really like your site. Very nice info.

ripvanarkie
2006-08-14, 17:18
WOW! Hammock was in the mail today and just as described, perfect w/dirty tree savers. I can't wait to string it up and check it out. Right now it is over 100f, maybe tonight when it cools off to 90.

Jeff, great site! I really like the looks of the MacCat, but I might just make my own. I have a few miles of space blanket material that I may use to make the fly, if it is properly tensioned it shouldn't make much noise and is much lighter and would serve as an emergency blanket.

These forums are great!

Thanks,
Steve in AR
:elefant:

Just Jeff
2006-08-14, 17:30
If a space blanket rips in one spot, the wind will likely tear it to shreds pretty quickly. That's why ripstop is good - it stops the rips. There's a reason that even cottage manufacturers aren't using space blanket flies...

I think it would work well on top of a fly to reflect the sun, but I wouldn't depend on it for storm protection. JMHO - be sure to post a report of you try it!

Rosaleen
2006-08-15, 20:42
Hey-

What Jeff said, both times.

The Overcover is not meant to serve as a fly, but to restrict air flow and help keep in warm air in very dry, cold conditions. AND is has a breathing hole in the top, anyway.

Ditto on the space blanket not having the durability to serve as a storm fly. Sun shield over a fly, yes. I've actually used space blankets that way over tarps and ground-dwelling tents. I often have one suspended under my hammock as a wind block and heat reflector. I know some people poo-poo this idea, but with a bit of an air space, this method has worked for me for years.

Rosaleen

ripvanarkie
2006-08-17, 13:40
I did a search on "ripstop mylar" and came up with just that! Orcon Corporation produces the ripstop mylar used in making the space-blanket you will find in aircraft as well as spacecraft.

Hard to get? Not really... it is used to make competition fighter kites. White and black seems easy to find, but not silver. At about $10 per yd at 54" width it weighs only .45oz!

Even if I cannot find silver, I think I will experiment with this material in the next few weeks. I will make a 9x9 tarp and hang it in the yard with some bunjee cord to see how it holds up. I'll give a full report.

Thanks everybody!

Steve in AR
:hmmmm: