PDA

View Full Version : building a dehydrator help

dropkick
2006-08-22, 01:13
Okay, I'm making a dehydrator (below)
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-3/1165284/DRYER.jpg
I already have most the electrical parts and just bought the end table/t.v stand/? at Goodwill for $4.00.
I figure the rheostat (dimmer switch) will give me temperature control.
I expect the bulbs will get it warm enough to do vegetables and fruit and to finish off jerky (I always start my jerky by heating it to 200F to kill any bugs)

My question is: I have an old computer and was thinking of stripping the fan off the power supply and mounting it on/in my dehydrator. Does anyone know how much trouble it will be or what other parts I'm going to have scavenge out of the computer in order for the fan to run off 115V?

KLeth
2006-08-22, 01:40
My question is: I have an old computer and was thinking of stripping the fan off the power supply and mounting it on/in my dehydrator. Does anyone know how much trouble it will be or what other parts I'm going to have scavenge out of the computer in order for the fan to run off 115V?
Fans typically runs on voltage up to 12V, so either get an old 6-12V powersupply or scavenge the powersupply(PSU) from the PC. If your PC has a PSU with a build in fan, you could mount the entire thing (fan and PSU) inside the dehydrator, using it to draw out air/moisture.

Both operations should be fairly simple to a DIY.

Iceman
2006-08-22, 10:53
Dropkick, how about using an old dishwasher... you can wash out the inside, and it already has a built in rack or two...(or is this too nasty..?)

dropkick
2006-08-24, 05:02
I'm going to make the racks out of fiberglass window screen, or possibly stainless mesh --if I can find and afford it.
Dishwasher racks would have too big of holes.
It might work for hanging jerky, but I'd rather hang that from wood or stainless steel instead of plastic coated steel.
If I was going to use an old appliance I think I'd go with an old refrigerator, or even better a stove (better racks).

Take-a-knee
2006-08-24, 09:05
The best thing to make those racks from would be expanded metal, in stainless if you can find it. A steel supplier sells it in 5' x 9' sheets, maybe they would sell you half of a sheet. You can cut it easily enough with a metal cutting disc in a circular saw.