View Full Version : MKG Inflatable Pillow

2006-08-23, 14:37
Reviewer Name: Jesse

Height: 5'11"

Weight: 180 lbs

Experience: Hyas Lake, Lost Lake, Tubal Cain Mines, Lake Lena, etc. 7+ years - Average hike 7 miles.

Similar Products Used: Old torn inflatable pillow - Coghlans maybe?

Locations/Conditions Tested: Different locations through out Washington State. Average daily temp 75-80 degrees - average night temp 45-50 degrees. A few sprinkles of rain here and there. Altitude between 2000-4000 ft.

Advertised Weight: n/a

Actual Weight: 10.4 oz.

Price: $22.99

Purchased at: http://www.greatoutdoorsdepot.com/

Product Description: Full-size heavy nylon inflatable pillow. Brushed polyester fabric covering on side you sleep on. Comes with drawstring bag.

Initial Impression: Nice quality and light weight. Like that it rolls up into a little bag. The air valve was one I hadn't seen before, it is the push/pull types not like the ones you see on an air matress.

Initial Test: None

Trail Test: I used this a couple of times over the summer while on backpacking overnighters but eventually moved it to my car camping stash. My head fell off many of times, even when I let some air out to "cradle" my head in the middle due to the pillow sliding around in my sleeping bag. The fabric on the pillow was slippery so it just slide everywhere. I resigned to my fleece pull-over for a pillow.

Conclusions: This pillow is great for hotel, car camping and maybe traveling. It works much better when you put a pillow case over it to keep from slipping and slidding around.

2006-08-25, 00:21
Don't know if this really belongs in a gear review, but...

My camping pillow died this spring (a 5" X 10" bag loosely filled with stirofoam beads) and I had to find a replacement.

While grocery shopping I bought a pair of kids water wings for .69 cents.
I cut the wings in half and ended up with two pillows about 5" X 15" when inflated.

I have been loosely inflating them and using both of them, one wrapped in a shirt for my head and the other between my thighs when sleeping on my side (old injury - makes me more comfortable).

Anyway, I have been happy with this. They are lightweight and you can't beat the price.

2006-08-25, 18:23
Got my pillows from backpackinglight.com

FlexAir Plus Ultralight Pillow

Come 3 to a pack. Use a straw (supplied or use any straw available) to inflate/deflate. Poke the straw through a one-way valve and blow the pillow to the size you want. Remove the straw and it stays there. I am now just leaving the straws in the Hennesy hanging pocket and the deflated pillows in the hammock. Weighs less than an ounce.

They have three models. I got the larger (but heavier) since I like a large pillow and I stick one between my knees - eases the pressure on my knees rubbing together - when I sleep on my side. The smaller model tips the scale at 0.56 oz - 1.68 oz for all three.

Don't know the weight of the straws. :biggrin: