PDA

View Full Version : New here - Intro Hammock for a large, tall person?

Ridge Runner
2006-08-25, 09:46
Hello -

I plan on buying my first hammock for camping and for a BOB.

I am 6'4" and weigh 290 lbs. Can anyone here recommend an inexpensive hammock for a beginner?

Would an Eno Double Hammock be a good choice? I have located one for $50. It has a weight capacity of 400 lbs.

I have been using a surplus French M1 tent with rainfly for the last few years and love it, but I am limited as to where I can go with it. It also weighs 13 lbs.

Any help or advice for a beginner would be appreciated.

peter_pan
2006-08-26, 09:25
Ridge Runner,

Come on in the Hanging is fine!

The double Enos is a good starter for you....Consider the Explorer deluxe...it is pricier...if you are willing to carry a bit more in weight and bucks the HH Safari may be a good choice, check it out....

Which ever way you consider...figure how you want to approach your bottom insulation from the beginning...

Pan

Thin air
2006-08-27, 12:52
www.onelifeoutfitter.com

I have a double hammock from above. I really like it. It is 6.5' wide. I have slept in it (both of us, same time) with my girlfriend in Costa Rica. It stuffs to about the size of a large grapefruit (1.3#).
I bought 3 yds of 70" wide mosquito netting, ran a length of 1/8 bungee cord from end to end of hammock hooks, tied and left in place. When you deploy the hammock you then toss the msoquito net over the bungee ridgeline and secure it at each end with clothespins or clips and let it drape down.
Quite frankly, I have an HH also and I find this other hammock to be easier to enter, deploy and sleep in. I suppose I could use my HH tarp and rig it on this hammock as to have rain protection also.
It is $39.99 plus shipping. A good deal. Mosquito netting was $6 yd at the local Army/Navy surplus store.

Ridge Runner
2006-08-28, 21:29
Ridge Runner,

Come on in the Hanging is fine!

The double Enos is a good starter for you....Consider the Explorer deluxe...it is pricier...if you are willing to carry a bit more in weight and bucks the HH Safari may be a good choice, check it out....

Which ever way you consider...figure how you want to approach your bottom insulation from the beginning...

Pan

I planned on using my sleeping bags for warmth. I have one rated to -15 and one to 20*.

Will I need anything more than that? :confused:

Just Jeff
2006-08-29, 00:05

Probably. You may find the first few paragraphs on this page helpful:
http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockCampingWarm.html

Take-a-knee
2006-08-29, 00:38
Jeff, it has been some time since I perused your website...it rocks man. Many thanks.

Woods Walker
2006-08-29, 00:41
I am 6 foot 1 and about 250 lbs. The Explorer deluxe works great for me.

Just Jeff
2006-08-29, 01:44
Glad you like the page, TAK. I just added a report for this weekend's trip where I found a perfect hammock spot on the shore of a swimming hole, and some details on the DownHammock.

Coolest part about this weekend - at dusk some little bats were patrolling the swimming hole and plucking up the water bugs. They'd come pretty close to us, and one even flew under my hammock while I was standing right next to it - about a foot off the ground and 6" from my legs. Pretty neat experience for us.

http://www.tothewoods.net/HikingPicturesLittleSur3.html
http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearDownHammock.html

And so this isn't a complete hijack - Ridge Runner, you could easily make your own hammock for cheaper than buying one. A double layer of 1.9 oz ripstop nylon from Walmart's $1/yd bin would work great. And that way you could customize it for color, length/width, material, etc. My first one took about 15 minutes, I think.

Rifleman
2006-08-29, 01:49
Ridgerunner,
Before you go to other sites and get sold something you probably don't need check this site (Rock's) out a little more thoroughly. Rock walks the walk.
R.

willofgod
2006-08-29, 09:38
I am 6'5" / 240 and use the Explorer deluxe. I love my HH, but I am sure there are other good hammocks as well.

GuffAbbott
2006-08-29, 22:14
I am 6' 1", 240 lbs., and the HH Explorer Deluxe has worked perfectly for me. If you can arrange it, see if you can borrow someone's hammock for a weekend "test-drive."

You won't know if a particular hammock works for you until you actually try it. I started out with the Safari Deluxe -- way luxurious -- and way heavy.

I downsized to the Explorer Deluxe and stopped my search there! It's nearly as comfortable as the Safari Deluxe -- and much lighter.

Just Jeff
2006-08-29, 22:23
REI has a no-questions-asked return policy. Buy it from them and return it if you don't like it. If there's no REI in your area you can get it from REI.com, but you may have to pay shipping to return it...not sure. Might be worth the extra cost as "insurance" on being able to return your purchase, though.

GregH
2006-09-04, 13:19
I'll second the idea of shopping REI. It's a great way to test gear without the worry of being stuck with something that doesn't work out.

peter_pan
2006-09-04, 19:36
I planned on using my sleeping bags for warmth. I have one rated to -15 and one to 20*.

Yup...

Your bag will compress between you and the hammock material...then you will get cold there as compressed bag = zero insulatrion...BTW the issue is exaccerbated by the hammock sides compressing the bag on the sides too... You will need something more than bags much below 65*....wide pads...pad wings...spe...under quilt or pea pod....Check the Hammock forum archives....cold weather is coming....best to solve the problem of bottom insulation before learning the hard way.

Pan