PDA

View Full Version : The myths about aluminum

dropkick
2006-08-27, 07:31
For years there has been talk about eating/cooking out of aluminum being bad for you. I finally decided to do some checking on this, and this is what I found:

There is nothing linking the use or ingestion of aluminum to any disease.
The most prevalant myth is that it causes Alzheimers, This isn't true.
They have been studying this for 40 years and they haven't found a link between ingestion of aluminum and senility in all that time.
The belief now held by the majority of researchers is that the high levels of aluminum found in the brain tissue of Alzheimers patients (the start of the myth) actually came from chemicals used in the laboratory where the tests were conducted.
People with kidney failure have been, and continue to be treated with aluminum, and as they can't expel it, they build up high levels, the majority of these people do not experience any form of Dementia (Alzheimers).

Another myth is that you ingest high levels of aluminum from pots and pans.
This also isn't true. In a worst case scenario (high acid foods) you might leach 3-6 mg into a normal serving. This is around 10% of a normal person's daily intake (approx. 50 mg per day).And your body would then expel all but 1%, because your gastrointestinal tract doesn't absorb aluminum well.

Anyway, it is now my belief (backed up by experts) that aluminum is safe to cook with.

www.webmd.com/content/article/71/81385.htm
www.alz.org/Resources/FactSheets/FSAluminum.pdf
www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002461.htm
http://ehso.com/ehshome/alzheimers.htm
http://healthlink.mcw.edu/article/979079376.html
www.alzheimers.org.uk/Facts_about_dementia/Risk_factors/info_aluminium.htm

john pickett
2006-08-28, 19:02
Bravo, Dropkick!
This is an excellent treatment of one of the more tenacious urban myths.
I salute you and take back every nasty thing I ever said about Montana and it's residents.
Well, most of them.
Ok, a couple of them. :damnmate:
John Pickett :captain:

Take-a-knee
2006-08-28, 19:06
Thanks Dropkick, I'd thought about buying an aluminum dutch oven and had hesitated because of this issue.

willofgod
2006-08-29, 10:16
How about the non-myth that aluminium tastes terrible... :)

SGT Rock
2006-08-29, 15:00
So don't eat your pot. Duh. ;)

Iceman
2006-08-29, 23:33
How about the non-myth that aluminium tastes terrible... :)

Compared to ? Why doesn't aluminum foil leave a bad taste on my food? I cook with it often...I even lick out all the goobers left on the foil after I wrap something I have killed in it, and cooked it...and all I taste is cooked dead thing... Maybe that is the taste of aluminum.....cooked dead thing... :biggrin:

Kea
2006-08-30, 11:10
Compared to ? Why doesn't aluminum foil leave a bad taste on my food? I cook with it often...I even lick out all the goobers left on the foil after I wrap something I have killed in it, and cooked it...and all I taste is cooked dead thing... Maybe that is the taste of aluminum.....cooked dead thing... :biggrin:

The method of the cooking is as important as contact with the substance. There are plenty of high-acid foods that get left in contact with the pot for periods of time that can leach un-tasty aluminum salts into whatever is cooked there. ie, Spaghetti Sauce. Given that some people have more discriminating palates than others, it is more likely a function of genetics.

I avoid the whole problem by cooking in stainless steel, which doesn't pit and erode over time like aluminum does.

dropkick
2006-08-31, 02:41
The method of the cooking is as important as contact with the substance. There are plenty of high-acid foods that get left in contact with the pot for periods of time that can leach un-tasty aluminum salts into whatever is cooked there. ie, Spaghetti Sauce. Given that some people have more discriminating palates than others, it is more likely a function of genetics.

I avoid the whole problem by cooking in stainless steel, which doesn't pit and erode over time like aluminum does.
It's also a matter of laziness.
The high acid food has to sit in the pot for a long period of time before there is enough leaching or pitting to matter.

I was a cook for many years, in both civilian restaurants and for the ARNG.
Both of which used aluminum pots, and none of the pots had any pitting on the interior, even though some had been used for decades (all heavy aluminum pots sooner or later get small pits on their exteriors - why??).

There won't be any pitting and little if any leaching, unless you store the food in the pot (bad, no matter what type of pot) or don't clean it in a timely manner.

bird dog
2006-08-31, 23:15

mmmmmm.....cooked dead thing.........mmmmmmm

Turk
2006-09-01, 19:24
bah, why fuss with aluminum at all. If we follow the current trends of
super-uber-turbo-mega-ultra-lighters.. there won't even be food anymore.
They already have sworn off the 2oz beer can kitchen (too heavy). Some
opting for straight cold meals. Really .. it won't be long now, until they start
jabbing themselves with syringes full of caffine and speed, or making straight 'vitamin supplement gorp'.

oh ya... and remember kids. If travelling in a group, save weight...
share your needle.

dropkick
2006-09-02, 06:31
I've been thinking about trying the ultimate in ultra light hiking, where you don't carry any food or suppliments. Instead you eat unused portions of your own body.

Of course before you decide to use this hiking option, you should first go through an intensive streching regimen, in order to increase your menu options. As you can only eat those portions of your body that you can either pull off or reach with your teeth (no utinsels).

Also you should familiarize yourself and your stomach beforehand with the eating of raw flesh (so their won't be any digestive problems) as there won't be any cooking implements.

Plus you should have an eating plan so you won't inadvertantly eat any parts that you might need while on the trail.