PDA

View Full Version : Bathtub Syndrome

KeyMeKoe
2006-09-03, 00:38
During a rainstorm has anyone had their underquilt fill up with water? What strategies are you using to prevent bathtub syndrome?

Turk
2006-09-03, 01:12
Oversize your rain protection.
If using a stock Hennessey rain fly ... you are going to be
one wet, taco in even slight wind driven rain. Not something
you want to risk in a high quality down product like a JRB.

do yourself a huge favour and get a proper
oversized rainfly such as the JRB 86"x86" silny tarp or a
Maccat by OES. Check out other threads on this forum
and the many reviews of these products online. They are
top drawer hammock rain protection, not to mention a
fully functional living space beneath the hammock for
wet nights in camp.

For the really hydrophobic down saving warriors, have
a look at the various under covers and weather shields
offered by Hennessey, JRB etc. Basically another layer
of waterproofing / wind proofing to protect the underquilt
and further extend the temp rating.

peter_pan
2006-09-03, 11:32
Oversize your rain protection.
If using a stock Hennessey rain fly ... you are going to be
one wet, taco in even slight wind driven rain. Not something
you want to risk in a high quality down product like a JRB.

do yourself a huge favour and get a proper
oversized rainfly such as the JRB 86"x86" silny tarp or a
Maccat by OES. Check out other threads on this forum
and the many reviews of these products online. They are
top drawer hammock rain protection, not to mention a
fully functional living space beneath the hammock for
wet nights in camp.

For the really hydrophobic down saving warriors, have
a look at the various under covers and weather shields
offered by Hennessey, JRB etc. Basically another layer
of waterproofing / wind proofing to protect the underquilt
and further extend the temp rating.

Whoa.....

Please do not put a JRB Quilt inside a HH SS....

First, the HHSS is too tight fitting to allow full loft of the quilt, thereby reducing its insulating value...

Second, the HHSS is made of non-breatable silnyl with enclosed ends and wraps over the hammock edges by two inches or so....It will trap condensation moisture....it you do not readily notice it, it will still be in the quilt...this also reduces insulating value and adds weight for the next days hike, if not allowed to evapoarte before packing.

JRB quilts have DWR protection and normally need no further protection from splash, drizzel or occasional light rain... Should more protection for lower temperature performance or exreme moisture risk the breathable, waterproof JRB Weather Shield is recommended.

This caution aside....Turk.... is right !!!! the best protection is an adequate size tarp... Mac Cats, 8x8, 8x10, and HH hex tarps are all good choices.

Remember I am biased.

Pan

Turk
2006-09-03, 12:13
hehehe, ...

What Pan isn't saying, is that the JRB Weathershield IS breathable, windproof
and waterproof, ... has taken fully into account the above mentioned problems, and thereby is NOT so much as like to the HH SS as myself, and others here may have been led to believe. I had to imediately jump to JRB site to see if I was on drugs or something.

I guess he didn't want to toot his own horn. Very modest, but unfortunate also.... What I did not know, is that as many hammockers here also own HH products, specifically the supershelter, I assumed these two products were relatively the same thing... interchangeable for the most part.

I am more grateful for the education. As It could have been a costly mistake, being as I am also in the market for some type of undercover system.

Isn't there some kind of unspoken etiquette that if over X% of a hammocking forum use the same product, and the founder of the company that makes said product also happens to post and make commentary... then it isn't really advertising. ... and even if it was ... so what?! The vast majority of the audience is keenly interested.

Just Jeff
2006-09-03, 12:50
Isn't there some kind of unspoken etiquette...

Yep - in my opinion, anyway. I think that if a gear maker is adding something to the thread, or addressing an issue with his product, then it's not advertising. And if the manufacturer generally adds something to the forum, then I (personally) welcome new product announcements and stuff that could be considered advertising. Pan, Brian (OES), Cedar Tree, Henry Shires, etc - fall into that category, IMO.

I have a thing for spammers. If someone signs up, makes three posts touting a product and never comes back, I don't click on his links just out of principle. But that's just me.

dropkick
2006-09-03, 19:16
I've been coming to this board for quite a while now, so I feel that I can say with authority
"Having Pan here is a large asset to the site, and he would be truely missed if he was gone."

peter_pan
2006-09-03, 22:05
I've been coming to this board for quite a while now, so I feel that I can say with authority
"Having Pan here is a large asset to the site, and he would be truely missed if he was gone."

Dropkick, et al,

Although Jack (Smee) and I have a thriving business in under quilts and quilts we were hikers, hammocker and participants on this site and Whiteblaze.net long before we offered the world Jacks 'R' Better quilts and hiking gear. We post frequently on general tips and the lessons we have learned. Probably half are about hammocking and half on other subjects...We have worked hard to perfect the hammock and ultra light hiking as a year round hike solutions....Along the way we have learned a lot...tried virtually every approach ...made dozens of pad solutions windshield reflector, mylar space blanket, tyvek, fleece, bubble wrap, weather shields, as well as, synthetic and down exterior insulation systems for most, if not all of the popular hammock brands.

We share so that others will think, then decide for themselves how to be comfortable as hammockers and ultra lighters as well...Most comments are made in general terms and not specific JRB items/comments.

Frequently we do not post on threads that we monitor unless someone asks for our comment or input....Unless we see a comment that is incorrect and / or has the potential to get someone in trouble.... Then we offer a counter comment, usually with reasons/experiances so that folks can think about it and decide for themselves.

We are enjoying our hobby and our friends on these boards... We always enjoy meeting you at Trail Days , SoRuck or on the trail.

Thanks for your compliment...you all are assets as well.

Pan

Seeker
2006-09-05, 14:59
KeyMeCoe,

i'm probably one of the few stubborn regular users of the HH stock tarp (though i definitely see the wisdom in the bigger tarp, i just don't have one yet). so i've learned to make the stock tarp work. i own a JRB underquilt and weathershield too (top notch quality and service, btw). pitched properly, the stock tarp and weathershield together make for a pretty bombproof shelter. i've survived some killer rain storms, but there is little room for error... also, ventilation suffers since you have to tie it down so low. gets pretty humid at times. but you're mostly dry, and as soon as it lets up, you can readjust the sides and pitch the tarp flat again. site selection is key... if you're deep in the woods, even a driven rain can't blow sideways (if that makes sense). the trees break the wind, and the rain falls straight down. your tarp then only needs a slight tilt to shed it all.

when i get the spare $$, i'm going to buy a McCat 9 x 9. if i find some silnylon at walmart again, i'll make one. they weigh little more but add a great deal more protection.

i do have an 8 x 10 that i take with me occassionally, when i'm certain it's going to be nasty, but at 18oz (vs the stock tarp's 8 oz), it's a bit heavy for me. hence my insanity in sticking to the stock tarp.

also, as i usually go out on single overnights in temps above 80*, if i do get wet, it's not life threatening... i learned just this weekend that in future, i'm going to bring a pair of cotton underwear and t shirt just to sleep in when it's so hot.

finally, i agree with jeff regarding spammers... i don't ever check their links...

bird dog
2006-09-05, 19:11
Spammers suck :cheers:

oops56
2006-09-05, 21:30
Try this its better i am getting low must restock he he

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d52/oops62/th_spram.jpg (http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d52/oops62/spram.jpg)

SGT Rock
2006-09-07, 03:15
Another stubborn HH stock tarp user. I have my MacCat for group hikes, but it doesn't always go out with me and I plan to use my stock tarp on my thru-hiker in '08.

Spammers suck. But some of the people that come to this site like Brian, Peter Pan, etc. are not spammers. IMO they are learning what the guys want and making themselves accessible to the people that use their stuff. A spammer only wants to put links out everywhere to draw traffic. Peter Pan wants to make a good product and wants to make sure customers are happy. Its a good thing to see people like that posting!

willofgod
2006-09-07, 09:41
I use the stock tarp too. Of course, I haven't really had to weather high winds and heavy rain at the same time. We shall see if I drown or not.

Seeker
2006-09-07, 13:40
I use the stock tarp too. Of course, I haven't really had to weather high winds and heavy rain at the same time. We shall see if I drown or not.

you won't... just make sure your side tieouts are pegged down tight, and your fly is pegged down just about next to it, maybe a foot further out/away... use those little hooks to clip the fly to the tieouts, and you're just about bombproof... if you'll be getting rain from the head or foot end, move the tarp up that way. but the trees block it pretty good. again, site selection, out of the wind, makes for the best shelter...

lambdahammock
2017-03-29, 21:33
Must protect that precious down.

It's always at the top of my mind

sheepdog
2017-03-30, 09:20
A big rain fly is the way to go. They weigh practically nothing.