PDA

View Full Version : Super Ultralight Pack review

Turk
2006-09-08, 19:14
Reviewer Name: Turk

Product Reviewed: the G-String-Skid Mark I

Manufacturer: NearlyNaked Gear Inc.

Manufacturers specified weight: 0.25oz (Turk verified 0.31oz)

Manufacturers Description:

This super-mega-turbo-light weekender pack is the newest and lightest in the NearlyNaked lineup. New for Fall -06, this pack is composed of SpectraSpinnakeDynameSilny ~TM. This newly developed fabric wears like fine lingerie and is both lightweight and breathable. The packs unisex design eliminates the need for shoulder straps, transfering the load via 1/4 webbing that hugs the hips snugly and comfortably. The packs sleek and sexy design is completely modular and infinately customizable.

Manufacturers Pics:
http://www.ehko.info/HQ_gstringmark1.JPG

Review Comments:

As both the president and R&D executive of NearlyNaked Gear, I felt is was very important to our customers to see that we are so committed to product development and end user satisfaction. I designed this pack for the super-mega-turbo-lighters looking for a much lighter and smaller volume alternative to the Moonbow Gearskin. I have personally used this pack on several weekend outings. The picture above shows the Mark I with attached water bottle and heineken pot. My food and stove store easily inside the pot and as the entire system carries the load at the hips, my gear is instantly accessible on the trail. With this system I am able to hike faster and longer than anyone else, ever. Why would anyone want to carry an unbearable 4lb pack load ?! Going this fast and light removes the need for extra clothing or shelter. As with any piece of ultralight gear, proper care should be taken with the fabric. This pack is not recommended for serious bushwacking.

Pros:
- the lightest sub 1oz weekender pack on the market
- at only $99.95 MSRP, it is surprisingly affordable
- sleek and sexy, ultimate in both form and function.

Cons:

- Do not attempt to overload the manufacturers recommend 3lb suspension
- No rain cover
- A quick release would be nice for short trail breaks, with only a small
weight penalty.

Turk
2006-09-08, 19:18
okay fine, its a pair of ladies underwear with a carabiner... but don't steal it before I can sell the patent to gossamer gear :biggrin:

bird dog
2006-09-08, 19:45
YOU ARE KILLING ME. Only an ultralight canadian could come up with a design so ingenius. Do they come in edible/flavored variaties? How about a tazer holster (inside joke)? BD

Iceman
2006-09-08, 20:18
What is the weight savings for the crotchless model? Also, do you have the crotchless in a XXL?

jimtanker
2006-09-08, 23:05
EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!

:stupid:

dixicritter
2006-09-08, 23:40
LMAO..... OMG the images in my mind are going to haunt me all night now. Thanks Turk! That's just wrong! LMAO

Just Jeff
2006-09-09, 01:19
Can someone please ban Iceman? Moderator? God? Anyone? Ick...

Seeker
2006-09-09, 15:33
LMAO.

hope the crotchless model comes with a brush guard. hey jeff! didn't you design a piece of gear to hang under something to carry some sort of load or other? maybe you could work on that for Iceman... and Turk, it seems like you could add a horn or bell of some sort, to warn off "bares" (and other hikers), without much added weight...

(Turk-see what you've started? nice going, eh? dear god, what have we done?)

Just Jeff
2006-09-09, 15:45
Horn provided by hiker. The best thing about this pack is that you can wear it as designed...or backwards.

Recommend blaze orange front-junk hammock during hunting season.

I need to quit you guys.

peter_pan
2006-09-09, 15:52
Turk,

These things come as male G models...not near as constricting...and if you get the xxl size, you can tie a loop in the waste band so the macro biner stays in place... and most importantly there will probably be enough extra room in the pouch area for a small sack of peanuts.

Pan

dixicritter
2006-09-09, 17:46
NOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Y'all are giving me nightmares! Soooo not nice! I'm tellin' SGT Rock on you!

SowthEfrikan
2006-09-09, 21:30
The perfect pack for hubby! I can't wait to see his face when I present it to him for Christmas.

Turk, that's the best laugh I've had in a while.

Thanks!

Kea
2006-09-09, 22:26
Turk,

These things come as male G models...not near as constricting...and if you get the xxl size, you can tie a loop in the waste band so the macro biner stays in place... and most importantly there will probably be enough extra room in the pouch area for a small sack of peanuts.

Pan

But that wouldn't be as ultralight, at .5 ounces. :)

And hell, for most people, you can get two packs of peanuts in there. :biggrin:

toddhiker
2006-09-09, 23:05
Turk,

My wife thanks you for the wonderful mental images this gives her!!

Iceman
2006-09-10, 19:40
Can someone please ban Iceman? Moderator? God? Anyone? Ick...

Hi all, sorry I missed the fun, just got back from a hunting trip... And you are all so right. This design would absolutely not work for me, and is really going in the wrong direction. I really need to listen to you all, and did put considerable thought into this topic. Crotchless is definetly out of the question. Done. Enough said. Finished.

What is needed, is a slight change to the design. I need a chafing guard of sorts with this model. Maybe a flap of material hanging down to keep the legs from rubbing? Also, more support is needed. Sort of a "personal hammock" design. This "personal hammock" can have a whole line of accessories such as; Thigh huggers, tensioners, under quilt, mosquito netting, heck maybe even an overtarp. Oh heck forget the tarp, a beer belly is a great shelter...

Just Jeff
2006-09-11, 01:54
I was good until the underquilt part. Then I heaved. Thrice.

Frolicking Dino
2006-09-11, 20:08
LMAO. While the G-string skidmark is an inovative design, I believe those able to grow a beard will indeed need the personal support system. Turk, please send one to Iceman to review - we need pictures.

peter_pan
2006-09-11, 20:55
LMAO. Turk, please send one to Iceman to review - we need pictures.

Now that is funny, FD.....Heheeheheheheh!

Pan

jimtanker
2006-09-11, 22:29
YOU may need pictures Dino. But I, for one, can pass on that image.

I think that would shut down Photobucket.

dropkick
2006-09-12, 02:57
I've always found thongs to be more comfortable if you wear them backwards.
That little string can be shoved over to the side instead of giving you a wedgy, and it's also a lot more refreshing than trying to shove your junk in that little cod piece.

And now that Turk has shown us the way, you could use the cod piece in back to carry gear, like a little rucksack.

SGT Rock
2006-09-12, 08:20
Can JacksRBetter start making a version of these for sale?

peter_pan
2006-09-12, 09:22

We could...but, we don't do custom work....

We're sure that no two of you would agree on the size of the pouch....The ULers prolly don't even want a pouch....Just a waist cord with loops to jam their "gear" into....

Could be a popular pack on 21 June :biggrin:

Pan

Hog On Ice
2006-09-12, 12:48

yeah but it would be in the color Green