PDA

View Full Version : Traildesigns Caldera Cone SP600 (for Snowpeak Titanium 600 Mug)

Lanthar
2006-09-16, 16:36
Okay, so most of you have probably heard of the new Trail Designs Caldera Cone (http://www.traildesigns.com/products01.html) (scroll to the bottom). If you scroll far enough, you'll see a note that they have some prototype cones for sale that fit pots other than the AGG.

Since I really like my Snowpeak Titanium 600 Mug (http://www.snowpeak.com/gears/mg042fh.htm), I sent an email to see if, maybe, they'd have a SP600 Caldera model left. Luckily they did, and sent it out the next day.

It just showed up this morning, and I must say I am impressed not only by the product itself but also by the customer service I've gotten from Rand and the others at TD (They were also willing to sell me one of the Esbit Kits that Rand has mentioned on the BPL.com forums).

I figured I'd post some pics and comments about the kit. Sometime soon I'll get a burn or two going and give you my impressions.

However, some initial impressions:

1) Very nicely finished.
2) Light (not weighed it yet, but it's light)
3) Dead simple to assemble.

Anyhow, enjoy the pics.

Photos and Comments (http://picasaweb.google.com/jdmitch/SP600CalderaConeOpening)

lucky luke
2006-09-16, 22:49
hi lanthar,

looks great! enjoy playing!

happy trails
lucky luke

Iceman
2006-09-17, 11:54
Very nice design. How about a bit taller, and turning it into a wood burner with a few more exhaust holes around the top...? and then a shelf mid way up for alcohol. Probably make a sooty mess then...the wood...

Cool pic format, I need to download Picasa...

Thanks for sharing.

Lanthar
2006-09-17, 18:31
The new picasa beta (requires XP) the links into picasaweb.google.com is crazy nice...

Skidsteer
2006-09-17, 20:52
Was the price the same as for the 3-cup AGG?

I have a SP 600 and am looking forward to hearing details of the burn.

Lanthar
2006-09-18, 14:58
I paid about the same for the SP600.

(Price actually didn't come up in the discussion, I just asked them to send me one and invoice my wife via paypal... and my wife took care of the invoice and didn't get upset at me ;) )

I don't know what the final retail price will be when they 'launch' the SP600 kit.

I did the first quick test burn on my porch... it was ~60 deg out, and I was getting crazy wind and I started with 2 cups of cold tap water. I did not use a lid as I wanted to watch the process and because the wind kept blowing my foil lid off... (so I lost some heat due to evaporation). It just reached true boil (not just the air-bubbles evacuating) when the ~0.7oz I had filled the burner with finished.

I could kind of peek in through the handle hole and see the flame... almost no flicker (other than the little bit from my breath) even when the wind was causing leaves to swirl around my porch.

All in all, it looks very promising. I need to get a thermocouple at some point so I can 'test' with lids on... but this ought to work great.

Skidsteer
2006-09-18, 19:30
I did the first quick test burn on my porch... it was ~60 deg out, and I was getting crazy wind and I started with 2 cups of cold tap water. I did not use a lid as I wanted to watch the process and because the wind kept blowing my foil lid off... (so I lost some heat due to evaporation). It just reached true boil (not just the air-bubbles evacuating) when the ~0.7oz I had filled the burner with finished.

I could kind of peek in through the handle hole and see the flame... almost no flicker (other than the little bit from my breath) even when the wind was causing leaves to swirl around my porch.

All in all, it looks very promising. I need to get a thermocouple at some point so I can 'test' with lids on... but this ought to work great.

Not too bad considering the wind and no pot lid. I'm looking forward to more test results.

From the photos it looks possible, though perhaps tedious, to make a homemade version. Any thoughts? I really like how the pot is supported from the top. Very interesting.

Lanthar
2006-09-18, 20:37
Not too bad considering the wind and no pot lid. I'm looking forward to more test results.

From the photos it looks possible, though perhaps tedious, to make a homemade version. Any thoughts? I really like how the pot is supported from the top. Very interesting.

Eeehhh... I don't know if I'd try it... at least not unless you had your hands on one and played with it for a while... the geometry is overcomable (truncated cone), but the closure system they have (which is very quick and simple to assemble, yet is very strong) would be a little / lot tricky to mimic without a fairly large shop of tools... However, that's just my opinion.

Skidsteer
2006-09-18, 21:32
Eeehhh... I don't know if I'd try it... at least not unless you had your hands on one and played with it for a while... the geometry is overcomable (truncated cone), but the closure system they have (which is very quick and simple to assemble, yet is very strong) would be a little / lot tricky to mimic without a fairly large shop of tools... However, that's just my opinion.

I'm not sure I'd try to duplicate their closure system. It looks similar to a stovepipe closure and that would indeed take some special tools.

I was thinking of a 'locking bar' similar to the wall closure of some above-ground swimming pools( Doughboy is the most common brand that uses this system ).

Imagine each end of the cone wall bent back parallel to the wall forming a small 'U' shape when viewed from above. The ends of the cone would meet each other at the bottom of their respective 'U's'. Form a 'locking bar' with a mirror image of both 'U's' to slide down over the ends and lock it in place.

You're probably right. I need to actually see one of these things. Now I'm wishin' I'd paid closer attention at TD's. :biggrin: