PDA

View Full Version : Check out these

roamingteen
2006-09-25, 14:42
Well i am planning my first trip into the rainforest.
so far i need a hammock and am currently checking out this one.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Army-Green-GI-Style-Jungle-Hammock-Great-For-Camping_W0QQitemZ180030154384QQihZ008QQcategoryZ16 040QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
or this one
http://cgi.ebay.com/WOODLAND-CAMO-JUNGLE-HAMMOCK-Cover-Keeps-The-Bugs-Out_W0QQitemZ200029059267QQihZ010QQcategoryZ16040Q QrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
tell me what you think of these.

I'm 6 foot 2 and still growing if anyone can suggest something else I'd highly appreciate it. bugnets and rain tarp are a must though.
Current budget of 50 to 120 dollars

GuffAbbott
2006-09-25, 18:02
roamingteeen,

I would not recommend either of the hammocks in your post, despite their venerable histories and low prices. I have tried both, and each has significant flaws in comfort and rain protection.

I use the Hennessy Hammock Explorer Deluxe, which, at $137.95, is slightly more expensive than the top end of your current budget, but well worth the extra if you can pull it off. I am 6' 1" and about 225 lbs. This hammock works great for me and would still do so even if I were a few inches taller. I got all of my Hennessy Hammocks (for a family of five) - except one - at SouthSummit.com, and I have not found anyone selling these items for less -- not even on ebay.

(Lest I get thrashed and embarrassed as an evil spammer, I have no affiliation with SouthSummit; I just buy hammocks from them. I do not want to suffer the wrath and righteous indignation of Sgt. Rock)

Here is a link to the Explorer Deluxe on the SouthSummit website:

http://www.southsummit.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=2029

You might be able to use the HH Expedition Asym ($97.95 at SouthSummit). I have used that hammock, but I believe it would be too cramped for someone as tall as you. I'm an inch shorter than you, and I was a bit cramped when I tried it.

john pickett
2006-09-25, 19:09
Roamingteen,
If you're camping on a budget, buy a simple hammock, ( I got mine at Sportsman's guide for about 40 dollars ); add a tarp, ( I bought a 10ft by 10 ft sheet of Tyvek from Rainmaker at Trailquest.net ) and a mosquito net ( see Risk's site for easy instructions IMRISK.com.
For honest evaluations of the hammocks you suggested above, go to Backpackgeartest.org.
Happy camping,
John Pickett

Take-a-knee
2006-09-25, 20:56
If you are not currently IN the rain forest I assume you are going to spend a tidy sum to travel TO the rain forest (Jungle!?). If you can't spring for a Hennesey just stay home till next year. Malaria and dengue fever are no laughing matter, I've seen both and had the latter. Nothing keeps the bugs away like a hennesey hammock. You should also treat the hammock with a permethrin spray, this will keep mosquitos from landing on the body of the hammock and biting through it into your hide. You should probably be on doxycycline for malaria prophylaxis during your trip. You should go to WHO and CDC's websites and read up on their reccomendations for your destination.

dixicritter
2006-09-25, 21:47
(Lest I get thrashed and embarrassed as an evil spammer, I have no affiliation with SouthSummit; I just buy hammocks from them. I do not want to suffer the wrath and righteous indignation of Sgt. Rock)

Don't worry, backpacking gear links are fine by our users to share. Especially for Hennessy Hammocks (those are his favorite) :wink:

Mutinousdoug
2006-09-25, 23:21
Roamingteen,
As the other posters have said; those "GI" hammocks you are looking at are not your best choice. 1st of all GI, designs for the 95% of body types. At 6'-2" you are nearing that limit. In addition to that; they are un-necessarialy heavy.
I lived on a real GI hammock for about 10 months in 1970 in the RVN and I'm 5'-6". Today I'm about 30# heavier (but no taller) and find my GI hammock good for naps but confining for overnights.
The hammock I used is nothing like the contraptions you are looking at. In spite of whatever markings they may have.
My recommendation would be a HH of a size appropriate for you or a Clark (or similar) with a Mosco net and fly.
Anti-malarial drugs would be prudent in a tropical rainforest environment, as well. We have West Nile virus here in Colorado, so bug juice is indicated :afraid: .

jazilla
2006-09-26, 13:46
Roamingteen,
My first hammock was a gi hammock from Brigade Quartermaster. I slept in it once and only once. Never again. Don't make the same mistake I did. Got a Hennessey and love the hell out of that thing. I just got a KAQ for it so now winter, I laugh at you. If you really want to try hammocks I just got my brother a byer in July. Good price. My tarp is from Sportsmans Guide.

Just Jeff
2006-09-26, 18:17
So you're getting the same answer on three forums...you gonna buy the GI hammock? :)

jazilla
2006-10-03, 23:48
Jeff you are the all seeing eye

Just Jeff
2006-10-04, 01:15
I only read three forums now - WB, HQ and hammockcamping. But they're the best three for hammock stuff!