PDA

View Full Version : Grayson Highlands Trip

blackbishop351
2006-09-27, 10:19
I posted this over on WB too, with limited success - I was having issues with Geocities. I THINK I've fixed the problem now, so let me know?

This is my first attempt at a decent web page AND my first attempt at a trail journal, so here goes!

Link: http://www.uncg.edu/~jkthomas/GH_AT_06_day1.html

Definitely let me know if it's not working, but I'm also open to content, style, or appearance suggestions!

lucky luke
2006-09-27, 13:14
hi blackbishop351,

works just fine!

darn... you saqw the ponies! all i ever saw was a pile of their apples about 3 feet high and 4 feet in diameter.... i got a good laugh out of that one...

greyson highlands was fun. warm outhouses in those restareas for the cars. and hot water to take along... (in december... ) and that one spring blocked with a huge lock!

greets
lucky luke

Take-a-knee
2006-09-27, 13:32
I enjoyed the trail report. It looks like you guys had a good time. From the picture of Allison, you were really smart to dodge those drunken rednecks, I would have moved a lot farther away. I have a similarly attractive 16yo daughter for a hiking partner, I wouldn't think of hiking with her without a pistol. My wife and I had a really bad experience with some drunks on the AT many years ago. I came close to dropping the hammer on one of them. Always remember that about 3 out of 100 men you meet will kill you where you stand and eat a ham sandwich over your corpse, for absolutely no good reason.
What were you using for bottom insulation with the hammock?

john pickett
2006-09-27, 13:41
Blackbishop,
Splendid pictures. Glad the trip went so well. I would suggest a cat stove and a cooked meal for Allison. Ramen only tastes good to me when I'm starved and have nothing else to eat.
Splendid pictures ( oh wait, I said that )
Makes me homesick for Georgia.
John Pickett

blackbishop351
2006-09-27, 15:02
What were you using for bottom insulation with the hammock?

I wasn't; I'm still getting the money together for a Kickass Quilt. I just had my 15 degree Marmot bag in the hammock with me. I did notice cool spots under my butt and my shoulders, but I think this was largely due to the fact that I was TOO hot on top - contrast type of thing.

I would suggest a cat stove and a cooked meal for Allison.

I actually did my first trail test of an alcohol stove on this trip and wasn't impressed at all. The thing took way too long to heat up and work properly (it's a jet-type), and consequently used way too much fuel. Good thing she brought her Snow Peak with her. As far as the food goes, I guess I'm just not picky...and maybe I should expect other people to be!

blackbishop351
2006-09-27, 15:06
From the picture of Allison, you were really smart to dodge those drunken rednecks, I would have moved a lot farther away.

I'm very comfortable with my hiking pole skill.....in several ways : )

Always remember that about 3 out of 100 men you meet will kill you where you stand and eat a ham sandwich over your corpse, for absolutely no good reason.

Agreed, but how many of those know HOW?

dixicritter
2006-09-27, 19:45
Your site is looking good blackbishop. Great pictures!

Hog On Ice
2006-09-27, 20:00
if you ever are near Wise shelter and needing a site just continue past the shelter on the AT toward Scales until you cross a stile and a small bridge - just up the embankment from the bridge are some very good sites including excellent trees for hammocking

blackbishop351
2006-09-27, 20:50
if you ever are near Wise shelter and needing a site just continue past the shelter on the AT toward Scales until you cross a stile and a small bridge - just up the embankment from the bridge are some very good sites including excellent trees for hammocking

Yeah we saw those....thanks for reminding me, Hog! I'll add that to my page!

The site we used was great too - just before the shelter, there's a boulder in the middle of the trail. Footpaths go off to the left and right from the rock. We went left (from AT NOBO direction) and found a really nice spot - plenty of trees, long grass to cushion Allison's tent, and even a fire ring. Also only about 60 ft. from a good-sized creek.

blackbishop351
2006-09-28, 01:29
Update - Page has been reformatted and relocated to:

http://www.uncg.edu/~jkthomas/GH_AT_06.html

dropkick
2006-09-28, 02:03
Unfortunately I didn't get to see any of the pictures.
When I tried to get one to come up I got this message:

The GeoCities web site you were trying to view has temporarily exceeded its data transfer limit. Please try again later.
Other than that it looks like a fine site.

blackbishop351
2006-09-28, 03:34
Yeah I know - again, sorry about this - I'm trying to save space on the UNIX server I'm using as a host, but it's not working out too well. Go back to the original link:

http://www.uncg.edu/~jkthomas/GH_AT_06_day1.html

and it should work. I'll get the rest worked out eventually.

bird dog
2006-09-29, 14:20
Great looking photos Bishop. Im glad that you decided on the route we discussed - its one of my favorites! It looks like you guys had a good time. I cant wait to get back up there. BD

SGT Rock
2006-09-29, 14:41
I love that section of the trail. Great pics.

Also, unix is case sensitive for links. So if you have a file named pic.JPG and you make the link pic.jpg, it will not find the file.

blackbishop351
2006-09-29, 17:20
Thanks Sarge - I ended up finding that out the hard way :P