PDA

View Full Version : Lost a Good Friend Today

txulrich
2006-09-27, 18:14
I lost a real good friend and companion today. If you look at my avatar, you'll see my Springer Spaniel. His name was Bo and he was to be 15 next month (on Haloween). He would go for a walk at the drop of a hat. He loved to retrieve raquet balls and play hide and seek (I would throw his ball around the house then hide). When we lived in Northern climes, he loved to play in the snow. When we first got him, I would pick him up and throw him into a drift. He would disappear, then come out the side and look at you as if to say, "Can we do it again?" He was a very intelligent dog that was able to learn new tricks very easily. We never hunted him, but he had the instinct for it. I could give him non-verbal field commands to go left or right (he was usually hunting his ball) and he would obey. I would throw his ball across the street and he would stop and sit at the edge of the road and wait for me to retrieve it.

A more loyal and truer friend may never be found. Bo, you'll be greatly missed. :adore:

Replies are not neccesary. I know this is a very caring community and I needed a place to let this out. Thanks.

peter_pan
2006-09-27, 18:45
Best to you and Bo....Peace txulrich.

Pan

dixicritter
2006-09-27, 19:35
I know how you must feel. Our shepard mix is 13 1/2 now and really showing the signs of her age. I fear the day when she won't be with us anymore. You have my sympathies.

blackbishop351
2006-09-27, 20:47
We have 3 dogs and two cats...the cats we could kinda give or take, but I don't even want to think about losing one of the dogs. They're our kids! Deepest sympathies, man.

Frolicking Dino
2006-09-27, 22:14
http://www.petloss.com/poems/maingrp/rbowx.gifRainbow Bridge http://www.petloss.com/poems/maingrp/rbowx.gif

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

Iceman
2006-09-27, 23:45
Txulrich. Sounds like a great dog. He will surely be missed. Thanks for sharing the good memories of your dog with us. I also have an older dog. When he goes, I know I will be devastated. It is hard to replace these wonderful animals. Probalby never will "replace" them. Enjoy your great memories, they should always be with you, and will never be lost.

The HotDog
2006-09-28, 02:32
Best Wishes, Empathy and God Bless.

The HotDog

txulrich
2006-09-28, 09:42
Thanks to everyone for the kind words. I thought I had it together this morning untill I read the Rainbow Bridge. I really lost it on that one.

FranceyS
2006-09-28, 15:38
My heart goes out to you, and I know what you are going through.
I lost my beloved, best friend in all this world, on 11 July, this summer.
She was only nine and died of the complications from many things.
In January, while we were hiking in the park, my dear 40 lb Pooks was
attacked by two dogs their owner, a lady, couldn't control. She threw the
leashes up in the air and let them go and the old 100 lb Shepherd grabbed
my leashed Pooks by the throat, and the 45 pound mutt bit her on her shoulder, while she and the Shepherd were rolling down the hill.

After much kicking and pounding the dog let her go, and seeing no blood, and being so relieved that her throat hadn't been taken out, we quit the
park. The next day, being in much pain, I brought her to the local vet who proclaimed she had a bad bruised shoulder and gave her pain medicine, but no antibiotic, as she should have done. The next day Pooks was in awful
pain and I brought her to my old horse doctor who found the 4 puncture wounds in her shoulder and immediately gave her massive doses of steroids and antibiotics. She appeared cured, but after two weeks she developed a secondary infection, and more massive antibiotics and steroids. This killed all the protective good bacteria and she developed a swollen eye, which
the University Hosp and my vet proclaimed was cancer behind the eye.
With diet, and anti-inflamatories, I had the eye under control, until they did a biopsy. Instead of a fine needle one, they did a pencil sized biopsy and this damaged the vessels between the eye and the nose and 4 days later the nose was involved, which rapidly got worse, turned into hemorrhage and in a matter of days my dearest beloved Pooks was in her grave. The loss was staggering. I'm still not over it. The remorse, the guilt that I shouldn't have had the biopsy done, the loss of my dearest friend, and so on. I wish with all my heart that she could have died from old age as your beloved dog has. It helps to share the grief, but the grief doesn't let go easily when you loved someone so dearly. It becomes less with time, and keeping the mind and body occupied all the time is the best way to handle it, I guess. How fortunate you were to have had your beloved dog for so long. Sincerely, Francey

Take-a-knee
2006-09-28, 19:57
I'm so sorry about your dog. I have one and he is to smart for his own good! He got lost one time and that almost devestated me, but he came back. I hope that someday you can find another "man's best friend" to share more memories with.

Iceman
2006-09-29, 02:33
Good grief. Now I am losing it... Seems these pets are as special to you all as mine is to me. I am the lucky one. For now.

FranceyS, we miss your input here! Nice to hear from you.

txulrich
2006-09-29, 11:10
I'm so sorry about your dog. I have one and he is to smart for his own good! He got lost one time and that almost devestated me, but he came back. I hope that someday you can find another "man's best friend" to share more memories with.

We had gone out of town for an extended weekend. Bo was aboot (Canadian Joke, Eh!) 3 at the time. He had been to our friends house many times. They lived about 5 miles from us. Well, they had a break-in and the alarm scared the guy off. However, he left the door open and Bo got out. Bo crossed a major road (6 lane inner city road) and was over half way home (the same route we always traveled to our friends house!) when a kid found him at a school watching soccer practice. Our friends searched for the next 2 days trying to find him with no luck. The evening before we were to come home, they had a neighbor check our answering machine and the kid had left a message that he had found Bo. I really believe that left to his own devices, Bo would have found his way eventually, but I'm glad that he was picked up.

I won't say that we'll never get another dog, because never is such a long time. IF there is, it will be quite some time. I know that everyone's pet is special and that every pet is unique, but Bo was truely a once in a lifetime animal.

txulrich
2006-09-29, 11:16
My heart goes out to you, and I know what you are going through.
I lost my beloved, best friend in all this world, on 11 July, this summer.
She was only nine and died of the complications from many things.
In January, while we were hiking in the park, my dear 40 lb Pooks was
attacked by two dogs their owner, a lady, couldn't control. She threw the
leashes up in the air and let them go and the old 100 lb Shepherd grabbed
my leashed Pooks by the throat, and the 45 pound mutt bit her on her shoulder, while she and the Shepherd were rolling down the hill.

Sincerely, Francey

Francey,

What a gut wrenching story. I'd have wanted to rip the throat out of several people after all of that. Thanks for the nice thoughts.

Rosaleen
2006-09-29, 21:21
Joe-

I've never had a dog, but have seen the devotion between friends and their dogs. You are obviously hurting. I'm sorry for your loss. I don't have to understand fully the impact to appreciate that is is real.

Peace!

Rosaleen

GGS
2006-09-30, 00:39
I know from experience there is no loss quite like the loss of a dog... I lost my Golden Auburn of 14 years to lymphoma.

Even though I did eventually get another dog - now 3-1/2 - I still think of Auburn when I go hiking...

You have my sympathies.

GGS

txulrich
2006-09-30, 08:25
I want to thank everyone for their kind words. It has really been very helpful in the grieving process. I still expect him to come bouncing around and lay his muzzle on my knee.

GuffAbbott
2006-10-01, 21:13
txulrich,

There is nothing like the unwavering, exuberant love of a dog; it brings out the best in all good people, and the loss of such a loving buddy causes very real grief.

May God give you peace and strength in this trying time.

- Guff

lucky luke
2006-10-02, 14:55
hi txulrich,

sorry aboot your dog ( i have a candian friend:biggrin: , but she sounded more like aboat). i have lost 4 of those guys.

"a death in this world is always a birth in another."
i am sure he has been awaited desperately wherever he went.

i am positive one of these days there will be another pup who chooses to live with you. and your heart will be bigger than ever before!

happy trails
lucky luke

zydeholic
2006-10-19, 01:45
I lost a companion a couple of years ago. I had to make the decision to put her down. Man, what drag.

I put up a Yahoo group at that time, groups.yahoo.com/group/pet-memorials

If you wanted to put some photos up there, and share your thoughts, you're welcome. Seemed to help me and some others.

Sorry about your loss.

Dwight

txulrich
2007-08-20, 12:17
Sorry to dredge up this old thread, but, we finally got another dog. It took almost a year for my wife to say she was ready (I've been ready for about 3 months or more). We picked up another springer this weekend. My wife was going to suprise me for our anniversary later this month.

We have been watching the ESRA http://www.springerrescue.org website for some time now. There was a dog in Arkansas that had caught our eye. Move in for my niece in Fayetteville was the weekend before last and Nancy was going to stop and pick up Maurice on the way home. When she called, he was already spoken for. Then she got an email about another dog in our area. He had been picked by a local shelter (very high kill rate) and was scheduled to be put down. Get this, they ran out of juice before they could get to him. A local rescue group (not ESRA) picked him up and didn't realize he was pure springer.

He's on the large size at 60 lbs (most male springers are about 50 lbs.) and a bit of a clutz. His foster home had named him Bumble. We didn't think that was a very dignified name, So we call him Rex. As in he rex the living room and the flower garden.

But he's pretty smart, he'll head butt you to get you to pet him and loves to go for walks. I'm gonna have to get a doggy pack and take him out in the woods!!

SGT Rock
2007-08-20, 16:04
Very cool. Always nice to train a new buddy - and rescue is a great way to go.

Hollowdweller
2007-08-20, 18:16
I love dogs. We just got an old Pyr back that we rescued a year or so ago because she had to move and it's cool to have him back.

We also got a pup from her. Interesting story about how we found him. If you are interested you can read it here:

http://ramanon.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39514

JAK
2007-08-22, 13:07
Happy trails to you and your new trail buddy.
Better head out soon before he Rex the place.

Amigi
2007-08-23, 17:20
Congrats. The loss of a pet is horrible. I have had my newest cat for two years. It took me 6 years to get another one after I lost my "Harley". I felt like crap for months, and never wanted another cat because I didnt wanna go through the pain of losing anther one.
Put it this way, when I got divorced, it only took me 2 years to find a new wife...

dropkick
2007-08-24, 01:43
The joy they bring and their companionship always overshadows the pain of their loss for me.
Living with and caring for pets is a major part of who I am, and I can't really think of myself ever being without them.

On the other hand I only married and divorced once, and I've never really felt a strong enough need to get a new one since that time.

sj49506
2007-08-25, 09:53
Love of a pet is real, and the loss of their daily contact is very painful. Peace to you as you deal with this.