PDA

View Full Version : In Hampton, Va

jimtanker
2006-10-04, 19:01
Ive been out of the net for a while. Im in a cool, highspeed but boring computer class at Fort Eustis, Va. for a while. No hiking for me for a while. Great weather for it though.

Anyone in the area want to help me spend my TDY money on beer?

peter_pan
2006-10-04, 19:59
Jim...I'm 16 miles to the west....757-209-7240....will be gone riding / hammocking thurs and Friday, though...

Pan

Iceman
2006-10-05, 00:53
Pan, watch out for JimTanker, he is dedicated to getting out and having fun. And his leg is hollow or something, I never figured out where all that beer was going?!:beer:

Pappyhighlife
2006-10-06, 12:50
Jim,

My 10 year old Grandson asked me what the arrow symbols mean that he see's on the tanks when he watches the war footage on the Military channel.
Some point up and some sideways some just look like corporal stripes. He tells me they on on our tanks and the Brits and Israeli vehicles.

Since we didn't have these markings on our vehicles back in the "olden" days I can't answer the chap. He wanted me to write to the TV show Mail Call, but I told him I knew a faster way to get the information.

Thanks for your time and a big thanks for you're service.

Pappy

bird dog
2006-10-06, 16:14
Jim,

My 10 year old Grandson asked me what the arrow symbols mean that he see's on the tanks when he watches the war footage on the Military channel.
Some point up and some sideways some just look like corporal stripes. He tells me they on on our tanks and the Brits and Israeli vehicles.

Since we didn't have these markings on our vehicles back in the "olden" days I can't answer the chap. He wanted me to write to the TV show Mail Call, but I told him I knew a faster way to get the information.

Pappy

Pappy, If Im not mistaken they are recognition symbols for the unit. I.E. Arrow up - 1st platoon, Arrow down - 2d platoon.....Not necessarily in that order but something to that effect. Also helps to identify the vehicle as friendly as they are distinguishable through IR sights as well.

Jim Tanker, however, is the expert.

BD

jimtanker
2006-10-06, 20:54
During Deser Storm all coalition vehicles had a big V on them as a recognition symbol. Now we use a different item for friendly recognition.

The chevrons now represent different Companies in a Battalion. The platoon in a Comapny is represented by dots within the chevron. There are different lines and symbols that represent different types of units too.

Try doing a google search for "us army vehicle markings modern".

FAS.org and globalsecurity.ogr

Two great resourses to look up all things military.

blackbishop351
2006-10-06, 22:09
Jim,

Pappy

I think I would've gone the Mail Call route....no offense, Jim, but R. Lee Ermey is the MAN! lol

jimtanker
2006-10-06, 23:46
Alright!!! Just for that, the wife wants the sewing machine back!!

:bootyshak

bird dog
2006-10-07, 00:32
I told you JT was the expert, but darnit I was close.

Bishop, I gotta autographed picture of R. Lee from the "Jelly Doughnut" scene. Its one of my most prized possessions in the man room!!!:adore:

BD

Take-a-knee
2006-10-07, 00:40
Before long it'll just be BAGDHAD POLICE DEPARTMENT instead chevrons or whatever. From Desert Storm and prior that would've been unthinkable to give away your own order of battle like that. The purpose of the military is to kill people and break things, and it is about useless for anything else, our neocon leaders have yet to figure that out.

jimtanker
2006-10-07, 15:47
The purpose of the military is to kill people and break things, and it is about useless for anything else, our neocon leaders have yet to figure that out.

+100 on all of that, man.

jimtanker
2006-10-07, 15:49
OH!!! and Blackbishop - I acquired a whole box of just MRE heaters.

Think of the possiblities. Ive already started saving up 20oz soda bottles.

blackbishop351
2006-10-07, 17:37
Alright!!! Just for that, the wife wants the sewing machine back!!

LOL at least lemme finish the 5 DIY project I've got going first....

Bishop, I gotta autographed picture of R. Lee from the "Jelly Doughnut" scene. Its one of my most prized possessions in the man room!!

Wow....I've really gotta see this man room now....you're my new hero!

OH!!! and Blackbishop - I acquired a whole box of just MRE heaters.

Think of the possiblities. Ive already started saving up 20oz soda bottles.

Sweet! When ya gonna be back so we can blow up Uwharrie?? :)

jimtanker
2006-10-07, 20:41
Has it gown back since the last time we were there?

blackbishop351
2006-10-08, 01:14
Has it gown back since the last time we were there?

Probly not, but hell - we can always have fun making the crater bigger! :D

bird dog
2006-10-08, 02:00
Blackbishop and JT - You guys have GOT to let me in on the next Uwharrie trip. Afterwords, we will pay hommage to R. Lee while we speak of the crater! BD

jimtanker
2006-10-08, 10:01
I believe you were invited last time werent you?

blackbishop351
2006-10-08, 16:02
I believe you were invited last time werent you?

Nah...I don't think I knew him then...

bird dog
2006-10-08, 21:16
:biggrin: Nope....I just met Blackbishop a few weeks ago. BTW, the first weekend in November Im headed to SNP if anyone is interested. Leaving Friday, coming back Monday. Its my shakedown hike before I do the first 100 or so on the AT in the spring. Tanker and clergy welcome. BD

blackbishop351
2006-10-08, 21:29
:biggrin: Nope....I just met Blackbishop a few weeks ago. BTW, the first weekend in November Im headed to SNP if anyone is interested. Leaving Friday, coming back Monday. Its my shakedown hike before I do the first 100 or so on the AT in the spring. Tanker and clergy welcome. BD

Unfortunately, I'm taking the GRE subject test in Physics that weekend. Believe me, I'd MUCH rather be on the trail, but them's the breaks I guess. The weekend after that is out, too - I'm going to Virginia to give a research presentation. Yeah. My life pretty much sucks.

bird dog
2006-10-08, 21:39
WOW. That sounds like fun BB. At least you got to SW VA a few weeks ago. Did you make it to the hammock campout you were telling me about? BD

jimtanker
2006-10-08, 23:28
I think that the first WE in Nov. I'll be up at Camp Butner doing some shooting. Not for sure yet.

bird dog
2006-10-08, 23:45
I think that the first WE in Nov. I'll be up at Camp Butner doing some shooting. Not for sure yet.

just let me know. BD

Pappyhighlife
2006-10-09, 14:20
Thanks guys, and thanks Jim for site info