PDA

View Full Version : I had my money all saved up....

bird dog
2006-10-05, 02:35
I had my money all saved up and was ready to finally purchase my MacCat Deluxe from Brian. Even had permission from Household 6 to get the thing. Went to Brian's website and to my GREAT dismay found that he is in school and wont be filling any orders until the first of the year.

I think its great that he is focusing on his work, but its going to take ALOT of sweet talking to keep Household six in such a giving mood. Any ideas?

BD

KLeth
2006-10-05, 02:59
Never known that problem since we hike together and therefore she is as interested in gear as I am :biggrin: - Except the stoves . . . . . .http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g50/kleth/Hiking/burned.gif

A tactical move could be to buy a little gift for Household 6 (ironing board, dishwasher or maybe not . . ) e.g. perfume, clothes, moisturizer or similar, saying that when you can not buy that Maccat before next year, you could buy something for her........

Skidsteer
2006-10-05, 09:38
Never known that problem since we hike together and therefore she is as interested in gear as I am :biggrin: - Except the stoves . . . . . .http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g50/kleth/Hiking/burned.gif

A tactical move could be to buy a little gift for Household 6 (ironing board, dishwasher or maybe not . . ) e.g. perfume, clothes, moisturizer or similar, saying that when you can not buy that Maccat before next year, you could buy something for her........

Blatant manipulation. I like it! :biggrin:

Iceman
2006-10-05, 09:40
Order it while the ordering is good. Sorry, no refunds!:biggrin:

Just Jeff
2006-10-05, 11:12
Take her hammocking in the rain and let her get wet. Then tell her, "See, you don't want ME getting wet on every trip - so I NEED that tarp." Come January, she'll remember.

But maybe the perfume would work better...

bird dog
2006-10-05, 12:22
KLeth and Just Jeff - Wonderful ideas. I think that the perfume would probably work the best.....MANIPULATION! Just Jeff - I tried to take her camping twice....The first time, we walked a mile, and I had to carry her pack and mine back down the mountain and drive back home--a four hour drive--all because there was a little snow on the ground....The second time, well, it was "too hot and too many bugs"....I love her to death but shes not the outdoorsy type.

Iceman, I was going to go ahead and order it, but Brian removed the submit button from his order form and wont allow anyone to place orders....

She doesnt cook all that often either....maybe I can hide the money in the butter dish (she will never find it there)!!!:biggrin:

BD

deadeye
2006-10-05, 12:24
Kick her out! Just be sure to ask her to give your pants back first.:ahhhhh:

Iceman
2006-10-06, 11:13
Iceman, I was going to go ahead and order it, but Brian removed the submit button from his order form and wont allow anyone to place orders....!!!:biggrin: BD

Ok BD, how about this: (and remember, we are all pulling for you!) How about getting a bank draft drawn out for payment in full to Brian. This is a done deal. "Sorry Hon', I can't get the cash back, I guess we will have to wait for Brian to go back into production..." :angel:

Pappyhighlife
2006-10-06, 13:06
BD,

Do like I did and work some "Off duty Gig's" I saved up enough to build a Clubhouse, er I mean a shop and I got a big sign "NO GRILS ALLOWED" then I got a lock which I had the only key, yeah boy!

Well she kept complianing she needed a key to, but I put my foot down, yes sir.

So the other day while I was at the hardware store making a copy of the KEY.
I was thinking The Ice is probably right. :angel:

bird dog
2006-10-06, 16:09
Iceman - As always, you speak the truth. Ive told her that its a "done deal" and left it at that. She didnt really specify when the deal had to be done!

Deadeye - Not all the things I said about her were quite the truth. She is much better than my first wife!

Pappy - Your wisdom is beyond your years. I tried the same thing with the clubhouse, er basement. She pretty much left me alone, other than hanging a few family photos. I still have my pool table, air hockey table, dart board, and pingpong table. Still working on the bar and the big screen. Got all my Army love-me-book hanging on the walls along with the better photos of the old gang. Just had to change the name of it from the "Man Room" to the "Family-Man Room". No matter, I still got my way because dang it, Im in charge when she is not here! (I have a walk-in gear closet to keep my stuff together too)!

I even have a big sign over the door that reads "Beware of Attack Cop"!

BD

Just Jeff
2006-10-06, 16:47
Kick her out! Just be sure to ask her to give your pants back first.:ahhhhh:

My wife knows I wear the pants in our family. Period.

(I just wear the ones she picks out for me...)

deadeye
2006-10-06, 22:46
Glad y'all have a sense of humor (or humour for some of the world), since we all know who really runs the world.

I'm a beancounter by profession, the advice I can offer is one word: budget.

Just as you budget for the house, car, clothes, food, and all the necessities of life, it helps to budget for the true necessities like tarps and packs, even if that means his 'n' hers 'n' ours accounts. Works for budgeting time, too. Some time for each alone, some time for together. Take a page from Bill Phillips' Body for Life book, and compare the actual results to the plan (budget) to see where the money and time is wasted.

Or just hide the money in your pack until school's out.

Seeker
2006-10-07, 00:03
BD-i ran into the same problem with brian being 'off duty' for awhile...

dang kid... who does he think he is, going off to college and wanting to become, get this, an Engineer...

seriously, i didn't realize until i went to his site to order that he was just 17/18 when he started making his tarps... maybe he'll turn it into another 'american made' quality cottage industry once he's done with school...

anyway, i work our local elections for my 'camping money'... $100 bucks a pop. not bad for a 15 hour day sitting around talking to friends and visiting with your neighbors as they stop in to vote. if i were you, B-Dog, i'd hide it inside one of my power tool cases... my non-handy wife wouldn't know how to open it, let alone get the tool out to find the $$. good luck.

bird dog
2006-10-07, 00:52
Seeker - I was waiting to hear your words of wisdom. I couldnt believe that he was a youngin' (thats a person of young age, not necessarily a child, depending on the context for you that have never lived in LA) either when I saw that on his site. An Engineer? Huh, who would of thunk it?

I was hoping to have the MacCat before the first weekend in November when I plan on doing a shake down hike near your old neighborhood........Thats right, SNP, here I come (already got the time off). I plan on sectioning the AT each summer and fall doing around 100 miles each time. I was hoping to complete my dream gear list before then (Im sure it will change at least three more times prior to my tentative April date) and I need that tarp. Oh well, All good things must wait......

Maybe Brian will see this post, have a MacCat Deluxe laying around and send it to me because he feels sorry for me.

BD

Seeker
2006-10-08, 00:15
i was just now over on Whiteblaze, and someone sold a 'large' maccat for $100... missed it by about 3 hours.... ain't one to be found on ebay... well, guess we'll keep our eyes peeled...

ShakeyLeggs
2006-10-08, 00:57
i was just now over on Whiteblaze, and someone sold a 'large' maccat for $100... missed it by about 3 hours.... ain't one to be found on ebay... well, guess we'll keep our eyes peeled...

I'm sorry I couln't let that MacCat get away. I had no choice and the price was right.
:proud:

bird dog
2006-10-08, 02:03
I'll give ya $101 for it! BD

GregH
2006-10-08, 11:43
...Or just hide the money in your pack until school's out.

I love that one!

Seeker
2006-10-08, 23:00
I'm sorry I couln't let that MacCat get away. I had no choice and the price was right.
:proud:

that was you? :bootyshak

just kiddin'... first come, first served... oh well...

ShakeyLeggs
2006-10-09, 04:12
that was you? :bootyshak

just kiddin'... first come, first served... oh well...

:itsme:Yep that was me. :aetsch: :wink:I got lucky Michele from WB clued me in. I thought I missed out but like I said I got lucky. I was in the same boat as I had decided I wanted a MacCat but with Brian being off in school I thought I would have to get a HH Hex tarp instead.

oops56
2006-10-11, 23:40
Cargo parachute 22 ft diameter would this make a good tepee and is that martial water poof or what can be made of it i got a hammock already would it make a good top for the hammock need suggestion

click to make big

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d52/oops62/th_chute.jpg (http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d52/oops62/chute.jpg)

Just Jeff
2006-10-12, 00:11
The ones I've used aren't waterproof, but we could use them for shelters if we pitched them really tightly. It works good if you can get two layers of it. The rain hits the first layer and turns to mist, which catches on the second layer.

All the parachute shelters I learned in SERE required us to cut the chutes into sections of varying widths.

bird dog
2006-10-13, 00:48
Could the seams be taped/sealed? Somebody had a thread about making a homeade sealer with turpentine. If that doesnt work, you could always sell it to Turk on ebay!

(Sorry Turk, couldnt resist....Again.)

BD

Just Jeff
2006-10-13, 03:09
The actual fabric wasn't waterproof on the ones we used. We even let the water drip through it (with sand, charcoal and rocks on top) to make a field filter.

They were standard pilot chutes and not cargo chutes...dunno if that makes a difference.

brian
2006-10-13, 10:45
Oh man, I haven't been on HQ for a while, but the family problems I am creating!? It's fantastastic, I mean terrible!

Bird Dog, I might, might be tempted to push out a Deluxe over Thanksgiving break. Just to get back into things a little for my mad dash over Winter break to get a lot done so I don't have to put people in this situation again. A pretty good possibility on that tarp being made.

And just a update to people who seem to be interested in my condition(:wavey:): My classes are going pretty well at this point. Intro courses are the scourge of human existance, because you always get the 'you'll cover that next year' or 'our mathematical model isn't really accurate, but you need to take ME254 or MTHXXX to really understand it'. :argh: . But besides classes, the whole college life part is fantastic. Lots of new people, lots of new things to do (sailing 420's on Lake Ontario 3 times a week), and best of all, lots of fun and interesting trips and such.

So I'm having a great time, no hiking this semester :(, but all good things come in due time. Including getting my business settled up here. Plan on having tarp availability in late december. I may even be able to get some rush orders in if people really want to have on on 12/25, but we'll see about that. But after my winter break, I do plan on migrating all of my work stuff up to Rochester and to begin working out my dorm, getting a few tarps out here and there, but not altoghether closing like I am now. For guys like you Bird dog! I say stash a MO in the tool kit, btw. They're good for 6 months, no?

Brian
U of Rochester 2010
OutdoorEquipmentSupplier

Just Jeff
2006-10-13, 13:39
Wow - I can't imagine running a business from a dorm room. You're dedicated! Keep up the awesome work, Brian.

Pappyhighlife
2006-10-13, 14:20
Yoho BD
I was reading on a camping site that this guy uses Thompson Wood sealer on his gear as well as used chutes he got at surplus stores.

I could see the stuff on seams and such but I would think putting it on a tent or a chute would make the fabric hard and brittle.

Don't know but he says it works, I might try just a tad to see.

Turk might know

bird dog
2006-10-13, 17:06
Brian, You have been missed around these parts. I wouldnt want to rush you, but a Deluxe would be great. I'm headed to SNP the first weekend of November and was hoping to have it then. However, I understand obligations-(I have a mess of kids, work, teaching, etc.). When you get to it, you get to it....Did I mention I would love to have a Deluxe? Planning on doing a long section of the AT in early spring and was wanting to get the Deluxe for the shakedown trips Im taking before that. Good to hear your doing well in school.....ENJOY IT WHILE IT LASTS. Cant wait to get that MacCat...Email me or PM me when your ready for me to send the payment. (Hopefully Im first on your list).

Pappy - Ive heard the same about the Thompsons water sealer. Never tried it, so not sure if it would make the fabric brittle. Stands to reason that it would. Thats why I want Brian to send me a Deluxe...His are already sealed. Did I mention that I REALLY wanted a Deluxe?

BD

Just Jeff
2006-10-13, 17:08
...I have a mess of kids...

School of fish, murder of crows, mess of kids. Fitting. :D

deadeye
2006-10-13, 17:17
What do we call a group of us? A reek of hikers?:bootyshak

Just Jeff
2006-10-13, 17:24
HAHAHHAHA. Yes, as a matter of fact.

How about a hammock of hammockers? Or maybe a hang of hammockers.

TeeDee
2006-10-13, 19:09
Cargo parachute 22 ft diameter would this make a good tepee and is that martial water poof or what can be made of it i got a hammock already would it make a good top for the hammock need suggestion

click to make big

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d52/oops62/th_chute.jpg (http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d52/oops62/chute.jpg)

You could waterproof first. There is a web site where using the silicone sealant to waterproof is discussed and directions given, cannot find right now, but basically he recommends getting the silicone sealant (caulking) and mixing 3:1 by weight with low odor mineral spirits (3 parts mineral spirits to 1 part silicone sealant) and then just brushing on with a paint brush. I followed his recommendations for a piece of gear, let dry outside for 24 hrs and it shed water like a duck's back. Use the low odor mineral spirits, otherwise it smells of mineral spirits for a really long time. I mixed it up in small batches since it starts to cure as soon as you squeeze the silicone from the tube. Took two batches for my gear. Also, keep stirring to get the silicone dissolved in the mineral spirits - it takes a lot of stirring. A chute like will take a lot silicone.

TeeDee
2006-10-13, 19:14
Don't think I would bother with the Thomsons sealer. Used some on my back deck once. It lasted almost 3 months before the treatment was gone and water was soaking into the wood as if it had never been treated. Switched to deck oil after that - a LOT more expensive, but the treatment lasts a minimum of 2 years. I had read somewhere that the Thomsons is 80% solvent, not much waterproofing for the money. Maybe it's changed by now.

bird dog
2006-10-13, 19:33
HAHAHHAHA. Yes, as a matter of fact.

How about a hammock of hammockers? Or maybe a hang of hammockers.

What have I started?

While were on the topic, did I mention that I really wanted a MacCat Deluxe?

BD

Just Jeff
2006-10-13, 19:36
There is a web site where using the silicone sealant to waterproof is discussed and directions given

http://jwbasecamp.com/Articles/Silnylon1/index.html

deadeye
2006-10-13, 22:05
Sealing with silicon is simple! Take a bit of silicone caulking, thin with denatured alcohol, and brush on the seam. Best done with 2 people - one to paint, and one to stretch the fabric a bit. After it's cured, dust on a bit of talcum to prevent sticking.

Oh, and Bird Dog really wants a MacCat! Deluxe!:birthday:

A horde of hikers/hammockers?

Hog On Ice
2006-10-14, 09:31
What have I started?

While were on the topic, did I mention that I really wanted a MacCat Deluxe?

BD

the only reason you want a MacCat Deluxe is that you have not seen a MacCat Titan - I love my Titan

Just Jeff
2006-10-14, 12:02
Oh yeah - forgot to mention that bd wants a MacCat.

bird dog
2006-10-14, 13:30
the only reason you want a MacCat Deluxe is that you have not seen a MacCat Titan - I love my Titan

Now your just rubbing it in :bootyshak . Everybody has a MacCat but me. Im headed over to Brians site now to look at this elusive "Titan". I havent seen it on his site before.

Im thinking of launching my own clothing line. Instead of "Vote for Pedro", Im thinking, "BD WANTS A MACCAT". Whatcha think? BD

john pickett
2006-10-14, 14:08
BD,
Relax. I don't have a Maccat either; though my Pastor has a tabbycat.
I do have a cheap hammock, tyvek tarp, army surplus sleeping pad, and a couple of fleece "bag liners". Life is good.
John Pickett

Just Jeff
2006-10-14, 15:31
Im thinking of launching my own clothing line. Instead of "Vote for Pedro", Im thinking, "BD WANTS A MACCAT". Whatcha think? BD

I'll buy a shirt as long as it comes with matching tube socks.

Turk
2006-10-14, 16:38

Ya, Im down with supporting our favorite gear makers. Make mine say..
"Go ahead, pet my MACCAT" (on front) and ...

"Who likes them Tight? - OES MACCAT Tarps" (on back)

Black, drywick microfiber, US Size L, white font...

mine should be free:biggrin:

brian
2006-10-14, 21:56
Black with white writing, or white with black writing? The order is almost ready to get sent out:P

BD and everyone else, just so you know; the 'MacCat Titan' was a prototype/custom design which is really a 3 person + gear shelter system (1 in hammock, 2 on ground), or basically a really, really big MacCat, one that uses 6 stakes. No official production of that yet, just a custom job or two, but is there any interest in me making a few available for the spring?

Brian
OES

bird dog
2006-10-15, 01:29
I'll be happy with a Deluxe for starters. However, the Titan sounds like a very interesting idea. Im sure that if you make them, they will sale!

Turk, Im looking into the price of the shirts. If Whiteblaze can have shirts made, why cant we?:aetsch:

BD

bodiak
2006-10-15, 12:24
For anyone who didn't catch my first posting in the general discussion thread, I'll post some pics of my homemade hammock here. A description is in the other thread

Seeker
2006-10-16, 09:05
Black with white writing, or white with black writing? The order is almost ready to get sent out:P

BD and everyone else, just so you know; the 'MacCat Titan' was a prototype/custom design which is really a 3 person + gear shelter system (1 in hammock, 2 on ground), or basically a really, really big MacCat, one that uses 6 stakes. No official production of that yet, just a custom job or two, but is there any interest in me making a few available for the spring?

Brian
OES

holy hannah!!! he's still alive!

i'm interested in a maccat standard for the spring... sooner if possible...

i know... school comes first... good priorities...

Take-a-knee
2006-10-16, 20:34
Yeah, I'll probably need a MaCat Standard, for Christmas would be nice, It'll be for my daughter. She doesn't know it yet but she'll be recieving an Adventure Racer sans tarp pretty soon. For the time being she can use my stock hennesy tarp since, I ALREADY HAVE A MACAT!

bird dog
2006-10-17, 00:55
Yeah, I'll probably need a MaCat Standard, for Christmas would be nice, It'll be for my daughter. She doesn't know it yet but she'll be recieving an Adventure Racer sans tarp pretty soon. For the time being she can use my stock hennesy tarp since, I ALREADY HAVE A MACAT!

Now your just rubbing it in. :bootyshak
BD