PDA

View Full Version : strange gear

Turk
2006-10-08, 00:52
I picked up this crazy looking Golite Gust pack on ebay.
It was advertised as a one-of-a kind 'prototype' design for what would
eventually become the standard issue Gust pack. When I opened my
parcel there was a hand written letter inside from the previous owner, that
made some effort to authenticate the funny looking gust and advised me to
take good care of it, as it could be worth something someday.
Here have a look:
http://www.ehko.info/HQ_golite_gust_1.jpg

http://www.ehko.info/HQ_golite_gust_2.jpg

I was just wondering how I could possibly prove this?
Not that I particularly care much. It is a pretty cool color scheme.
The only major differences I can find in this model from any standard
Golite gust is the front pocket zipper, and golite logo. Would be neat
story though if I knew it was true. Already had a few people ask me about it.

Just Jeff
2006-10-08, 01:45
Email pics to GoLite - they'd know better than anybody.

bird dog
2006-10-08, 01:56
You always seem to find the cool stuff on ebay Turk....I never win an auction. Are you a full time ebay broker or do you just collect all that gear you buy? BD

Turk
2006-10-08, 02:07
nah, I don't buy much actually. But when I see something I really want... I get it. Its a shame, how much you have to go through to win something anymore. If an item is hot! hot!! HOT!, you need sniping, anti-sniping and a handfull of other techniques to pull off a winning bid. Pain in the butt all that.

I don't collect gear. I use ALL of it. Routinely introduce people to a lightweight style by donating complete gear sets for weekender trips. Secretly ... I am building up to my "all custom" carry. Prototype pack you can't buy, custom FF bag/underquilt nobody else owns, custom wood stove, .... now if I could just get Tom to build my prototype HH idea id really be set.:biggrin: I am building up to the day I can walk into the local outfitter and make the owner green with envy. When somebody says "whoa where can I get a setup like that" .. I can simply reply.. you can't :) I know, I know ... its petty. But owning a gear shop and making a living by talking about gear and trekking 24/7 is like my dream job. ... and this guy is one of those guys that has EVERYTING.

bird dog
2006-10-08, 02:16
But owning a gear shop and making a living by talking about gear and trekking 24/7 is like my dream job. ... and this guy is one of those guys that has EVERYTING.

:beer: Ill drink to that. If your looking for a business partner, Im in. BD

Just Jeff
2006-10-08, 02:41
Make it all yourself - your own prototypes are better for you than someone else's.

Besides, "I'd have to make you one but I'm too busy hiking" is a better answer to that question...

Cool pack, though.

GregH
2006-10-08, 11:35
Let us know what GoLite says.

Seeker
2006-10-08, 23:07
turk,

the Gust comes in black, red, and green. looks like someone used a couple parts from 2 different packs to make or repair one... sort of like a wrecked car before it gets repainted... one fender blue, hood black, primer grey/bondo on the door, etc... (i'm allowed to make fun of it... i own a Gust. just not the green and black "christmas special" version. :biggrin: )

bird dog
2006-10-08, 23:47
turk,

the Gust comes in black, red, and green. looks like someone used a couple parts from 2 different packs to make or repair one... sort of like a wrecked car before it gets repainted... one fender blue, hood black, primer grey/bondo on the door, etc... (i'm allowed to make fun of it... i own a Gust. just not the green and black "christmas special" version. :biggrin: )

should have gotten a backpackfax report before he purchased it. (Dont own a Gust but couldnt resist)

BD

Redroach
2006-10-11, 18:06
So you are the guy who bought it ;)

The previous owner is on another site I frequent and from what GoLite told him it is a prototype.

Of course, now the gust is going the way of the dodo.

Here is their entire pack selection for 2007

http://www.trailspace.com/news/2006/09/26/2007-golite-packs.html

Turk
2006-11-27, 18:32
Golite finally got back to me on the Gust.
Pretty cool, turns out authentic. Guess I will have to stop dragging this
one through the dirt and scraping along river bottoms when the canoe decides to roll.

quote from emal:
Hi Ryan,

The Gust pack that you ordered from Ebay is in fact a GoLite prototype. We make them available when we have our semi-annual sale here in Boulder. So brag away. It's great to hear how enthused you are with GoLite and our products. The ''07 pack lineup is awesome. We've narrowed it down and refined all our packs, making them the best possible while still keeping lite. Thanks and have a great day!

Cheers!

Sarah Tantillo

GoLite Customer Service
6325 Gunpark Drive, Ste 102
Boulder, CO 80301
Phone 303-339-2407
Fax 303-546-6557

Will take better care of it now. When it fails I will have to think of
something special to make out of the crazy green dyneema.

JAK
2006-12-20, 23:28
That's a pretty cool looking pack. I like a simple light pack with high volume. How large of a blue foam pad would fit inside, or would it be better to accordian fold it or leave it on the outside. I had an idea for a large volume but lightweight winter pack that was to shove 2 blue foam pads down into, so you end up with two cylinders side by side and then stuff them equally with your stuff.

Seeker
2006-12-24, 21:48
How large of a blue foam pad would fit inside, or would it be better to accordian fold it or leave it on the outside.

before i got my JRB underquilt, i used a full length blue foam pad inside my Gust and it worked fine. two would fit, but it would get a little tighter. still, it's got a lot of room and you can always put some lighter stuff up in the extension collar.