PDA

View Full Version : Foothills Trail trip report.

SCmoose
2006-10-08, 21:06
A friend and I headed out 9/30 for our 80 mile Foothills Trail trough hike. We hooked up with our club member for a shuttle Sat. morning. We left my car at Oconee State Park, we left anouther at Bad Creek area for a resupply and then were droped off at Table Rock State Park at 9am. Day 1 was a tough one with heavy packs and climbing the 2 tallest mnts. in the state. 1st camp was past Sassafrass Mnt.(11.0 mls) Had my first fall on day 2, slipping on a 4x4 bridge and catching my instep on the edge before ending up with mud coming over my boot. Made it to a camp site at the access trail to the lake near Laurel Falls.(12.9 mls) Day 3 got us over the awsome 220 ft long Toxaway River suspension bridge and all the way to Bear Gap.(11.1 mls) We found a bad down fall 1/2 mile east of Horsepasture River and had to slide packs past. We felt pretty good and keep cranking out some miles. We got to the resupply car around 5pm. Didnt have cell coverage so rode to a nearby overlook to call home and check up. We decided we wanted to stealth camp that night below Whitewater Falls and had a little time to kill before dark so we drove to the next town and got a pizza and softdrinks to eat at the parking lot. We ended up leaving more in the car then we took out. Headed back in around 6:30 and found camp.(10.0mls) Day 5 was our earliest start at 8am and just turning off flashlights 7:30. After makeing it to hwy 107 by lunch, we picked up the pace to average 3mph for the next7 miles. Found our way 2miles or so past Burrells Ford an hour before dark for our last night.(16.0mls) I developed a blister under the ball of my right foot and had been treating one on my heal for 2 days, I was hurting a bit but only one day left. Day 6 was anouther early start at 8 am and keep up the fast pace with little stopping. Other than my feet I felt awsome, legs felt strong, plenty of energy and didnt get out of breath like an overnighter anymore. Found the end of the trail before 3pm.(16.4mls) We saw bear scat everyday, flushed out 2 dear and past 2 copperheads, 1 day 4 and 1 day 6. The largest copperhead was probally 11 inchs and both had to be coaxed off the trail. The mileage is aprox because trail markers didnt match map milage and the aproach trail had been rerouted adding atleast 2 miles. The weather was still warm, mid70 high and mid 50 low but no rain. We had a great time walking in God's creation. Still working on the pictures; shoot Ive still got gear all over the back porch.
SCmoose

bird dog
2006-10-08, 21:14
SCMoose - Sounds like a great trip. If you get the opportunity, send me a PM with some info on the trail, your plan, etc. Im not too far away and have heard about this trail several times now. My curiosity is peaked. I think Im gonna do it after the first of the year. Cant wait to see the pictures. BD

SCmoose
2006-10-16, 22:24
http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=jsc7gzj.12frutur&x=0&y=-pawejkHere is the web address for my trip pictures, dont know if it will be a click to link, might have to copy and paste.

bird dog
2006-10-17, 00:40
Great pics Moose. Looks like you found more than your share of Copperheads though. BD :ahhhhh:

SCmoose
2006-10-17, 20:44
We saw 2 copperheads, 1 bright green snake and my buddy saw another that I did not, not sure what kind. No telling how many we past but didnt see. 2 years ago my daughter was in lead ,very near where we past the second copperhead, and she came within 3 feet of a 13in copperhead. I was still adjusting my pack as we had just got on the trail. Im so glad she was watching where she was going, dont know if I would have seen it. One of the reasons I love hiking in winter, everything else is dead, asleep, or scared to leave their climate controled house.

bird dog
2006-10-17, 22:28
We saw 2 copperheads, 1 bright green snake and my buddy saw another that I did not, not sure what kind. No telling how many we past but didnt see. 2 years ago my daughter was in lead ,very near where we past the second copperhead, and she came within 3 feet of a 13in copperhead. I was still adjusting my pack as we had just got on the trail. Im so glad she was watching where she was going, dont know if I would have seen it. One of the reasons I love hiking in winter, everything else is dead, asleep, or scared to leave their climate controled house.

I'll drink to that! :beer:
Im not afraid of snakes, but I do not like them.

fivecents2
2007-01-26, 11:52
Thanks, SCmoose, for the FT write-up and pictures. I've been wanting to do this trail. I don't have time for a long thru hike and this looks like the right length for me this spring. Did you have the Foothils Trail guide book or is it not necessary? I've done small sections of the trail and it seems well marked. The ups and downs around Whitewater Falls/Bad Creek kicked my butt. Is that the hardest part of the trail or are there other parts that are just as bad? Probably Sassafrass Mt might be bad on the knees. Thanks in advance for info.