PDA

View Full Version : stakes and such

dropkick
2006-10-16, 00:35
I noticed on Sgt. Rocks thread about his planned AT thru hike that he uses plastic stakes.
I live in a rocky area and plastic stakes seem to either break going in or coming out. So after trying them years ago I gave them up and moved back to metal stakes.

In the old days I used gutter nails and washers (heavy) or cut wood stakes on site (usually no longer an option).
I currently use aluminum stakes (the type with a twisted shank - better hold in the ground).
Thought about titanium, but so far cost has scared me away.

I also use a small rubber mallet for putting them in (with added screw eye on the end of the handle for easy stake removal).
I've had to much trouble and destroyed to many stakes and fingers using rocks or whatever was handy as a hammer.
- Due to weight, I am thinking about inventing/building some form of small wooden stake driver/remover though (plywood striking surface attached to a dowel/handle? or just a carved down limb mallet?)

What do you use?

Just Jeff
2006-10-16, 01:27
Do you carry a trowel? You could put a striking end on the trowel's handle.

KLeth
2006-10-16, 01:45
We use aluminium pegs. The square ones and rock-pegs kan mostly be trotten down, the original small profiled are too soft to be trotten in. We now have three types of pegs since each type has it pros and cons on different surfaces.
Due to an experience in a storm we have added four "Shark" (http://www.globetrotter.de/de/shop/detail.php?mod_nr=cv_15553) pegs to the collection (and skipped all of the original pegs).
To hammer them in and later to draw them out I use my old trifold. I draw them up "pry bar style" hinging the shovel over my foot.

SGT Rock
2006-10-16, 02:28
Well I have gotten to the point I try to find a place to tie the sides of my hammock off. Normally I don't need any stakes - or maybe one stake. At 0.1 ounce per, those lawn stakes are lighter than anything I have used ever - and I can carry four of them that weigh less than one of my old gutter nails. They have been working on trips so far, but if I have issues I will be right back to gutter nails in a flash.

Seeker
2006-10-16, 08:56
i use those cheap aluminum stakes from walmart (4-pack for about $2). depending on the tarp setup (HH Stock or 8 x 10), i carry either 4 or 8. seldom use them all, if i can find stuff to tie off on. rocks aren't an issue in LA, so i just push them in partway by hand, then finish off with my heel. back in NY and TN (smokies and adirondacks), where there were plenty of rocks, i took half spiral and half plain, as the spiral ones seemed to go into the rocky ground better. i just used a rock if i couldn't get it in by hand. i'd rather pay for some new stakes every couple years than carry a mallet. sure, they get bent, but you can straighten them in a vise as needed.

TeeDee
2006-10-16, 16:34
I like the CIA letter opener stakes

http://www.agrussell.com/knives/by_maker/a_through_d/a_g_russell_knives/accessories/a_g_russell_cia_letter_opener_when_ordered_with_an other_item.html

They are super tough, not TOO heavy (0.8 oz each) and with the hole in the handle it is very easy to use a stick as a handle to pull them up. I have used everything from my heel to a hammer to pound them in with no indication of any mistreatment on the stake. Pound one in up to the hole at the end of the handle and it will take one hell of a load, even straight up. They used to have a picture of one pounded through plywood. Haven't tried that, but after using them a while, I have no doubt that the picture was authentic.

Besides I can always use them to open my mail :biggrin: Just use 400 grit sandpaper to keep the edge sharp.

TeeDee

Lanthar
2006-10-16, 23:11
I like the CIA letter opener stakes

http://www.agrussell.com/knives/by_maker/a_through_d/a_g_russell_knives/accessories/a_g_russell_cia_letter_opener_when_ordered_with_an other_item.html

Besides I can always use them to open my mail :biggrin: Just use 400 grit sandpaper to keep the edge sharp.

TeeDee

Wow, nice... gotta remember that one...