PDA

View Full Version : MacCat tarp

JPW
2006-10-16, 15:16
Last weekend I saw a MacCat used with a HH and underquilt, looked like a good setup. I know some of you have one or both. Is the MacCat Delux tarp any better than the HH delux tarp used with the HH backpacker?

Want to get some opinions befor I spend any money I dont need to.

SGT Rock
2006-10-16, 16:09
I've got a MacCat. It is a very well made tarp. For solo hiking I still use my stock HH tarp. But when I go out with others and want some extra space so more of us can get under one tarp in case of bad weather, then I bring my MacCat. I know others that prefer it full time, but not me.

Just Jeff
2006-10-16, 19:19
The MacCat pitches tighter than the HH hex tarps b/c of the cat cut, but both tarps will give you plenty of room. I've seen the HH hex tarps but never actually used one - personally, I'd go for a MacCat. JMO.

bodiak
2006-10-16, 21:11
Can someone hook me up with a link or picture of one of these "MacCat tarps"?
Must be quite something since everybody seems to want one!!

Hog On Ice
2006-10-16, 21:20
Can someone hook me up with a link or picture of one of these "MacCat tarps"?
Must be quite something since everybody seems to want one!!

There are several pics of the MacCat on Just Jeffs trip report from Hot Springs - see http://www.tothewoods.net/HikingPicturesHotSprings.html

txulrich
2006-10-16, 21:56
Last weekend I saw a MacCat used with a HH and underquilt, looked like a good setup. I know some of you have one or both. Is the MacCat Delux tarp any better than the HH delux tarp used with the HH backpacker?

Want to get some opinions befor I spend any money I dont need to.

JP

I own the deluxe to go with my expidition asym. It is a sweet setup. Unfortunately, Brian is in his first term at college and has taken a hiatus from making tarps. If you can find a used one for sale, snap it up quick.

bird dog
2006-10-17, 00:53
There are several pics of the MacCat on Just Jeffs trip report from Hot Springs - see http://www.tothewoods.net/HikingPicturesHotSprings.html

WOW! I learned alot from the photos on that link. I was going to go to Hot Springs, but decided to work instead. MAN I MISSED OUT. Next year I think I will go even though I dont know any of those people (cept for blackbishop, met him once). BD

Just Jeff
2006-10-17, 01:14
Ed has four campouts a year at Hot Springs - I've been to two now and met many of the people I talk to online. It's really nice to be able to put faces on the names I see every day online. And then meeting Ed, the Jacks from JRB, Youngblood, Risk - that's pretty cool, too. It's a great place to learn, whether you're a newbie or not. And everyone is so nice...great community and all.

bird dog
2006-10-17, 01:38
Ed has four campouts a year at Hot Springs - I've been to two now and met many of the people I talk to online. It's really nice to be able to put faces on the names I see every day online. And then meeting Ed, the Jacks from JRB, Youngblood, Risk - that's pretty cool, too. It's a great place to learn, whether you're a newbie or not. And everyone is so nice...great community and all.

When is the next planned outing? BD

Just Jeff
2006-10-17, 04:59
New Years on Springer Mountain. Sometimes it's in the high 30s, sometimes it's below zero. Ed had the beer freeze in his hand on year. You game?

JPW
2006-10-17, 08:34
Thanks for all the input. I found the web site for the MacCat. It is WWW.OutdoorEquipmentSupplier.com . He will not be taking orders till January.I'am sure there are lots of tarps out there, I just saw this one and liked it.Its a lot more expensive than the used bisqueen I got from Txulrich's dad years ago. Plastic will keep the rain off too. Find what works for you and fits your budget.

txulrich
2006-10-17, 09:36
Thanks for all the input. I found the web site for the MacCat. It is WWW.OutdoorEquipmentSupplier.com . He will not be taking orders till January.I'am sure there are lots of tarps out there, I just saw this one and liked it.Its a lot more expensive than the used bisqueen I got from Txulrich's dad years ago. Plastic will keep the rain off too. Find what works for you and fits your budget.

That's my Dad!!! The original use what's at hand kind of guy. Visqueen and duct tape will take you many miles:biggrin:

I really like my MCD and can't imagine using anything else.

bird dog
2006-10-17, 22:31
New Years on Springer Mountain. Sometimes it's in the high 30s, sometimes it's below zero. Ed had the beer freeze in his hand on year. You game?

Im always game. Ill have to check my work schedule and see what it looks like. You going? BD

Just Jeff
2006-10-17, 23:47
I really want to, but I'll be smackdab in the middle of a cross-country move right then. Leaving CA before Xmas, hoping to close on the house in NC the first week in Jan. I'll have to meet up at a later one.

blackbishop351
2006-10-18, 04:32
I'll be on Springer, if all goes as planned...

I'm just putting the finishing touches on my own cat tarp, too by the way :D woohoo!

john pickett
2006-10-18, 20:51
I hear Bird dog wants a MacCat; Any truth to this vicious rumor?:aetsch:
John Pickett

Just Jeff
2006-10-18, 23:13
Dunno - ever since I got mine I quit paying attention...I think TAK did, too.

SGT Rock
2006-10-19, 01:40
Did he say something about a tarp? I didn't notice either. I was looking at pictures of mine on the AT.

bird dog
2006-10-19, 15:37
:bootyshak :bootyshak :bootyshak :bootyshak :bootyshak :bootyshak :bootyshak :bootyshak :bootyshak :bootyshak :bootyshak :bootyshak :bootyshak :bootyshak :bootyshak :bootyshak :bootyshak :bootyshak :bootyshak :bootyshak :bootyshak :bootyshak :bootyshak :bootyshak :bootyshak :bootyshak :bootyshak :bootyshak :bootyshak :bootyshak :bootyshak :bootyshak :bootyshak

BD

Just Jeff
2006-10-19, 17:01
I think bird dog is trying to show us his hemorrhoids. How rude.

I'm gonna go lay under my MacCat and sleep off my hurt feelings.

ShakeyLeggs
2006-10-19, 21:19
I think bird dog is trying to show us his hemorrhoids. How rude.

I'm gonna go lay under my MacCat and sleep off my hurt feelings.

I think i will do the same JJ. Only my MacCat Deluxe is brand spankin new. Oh used but never used hehe:aetsch:

bird dog
2006-10-19, 21:54
You guys are brutal. Maybe Brian will see all of this punishment Im taking, feel sorry for me, and send me a Deluxe right away (Hint, hint). BD

brian
2006-10-20, 02:04
I need more groveling BD. And a sewing machine with some fabric and material, as well as a cold bottle of A&W.

Brian

john pickett
2006-10-20, 13:23
"I think bird dog is trying to show us his hemorrhoids"

Well, as a former Corpsman, it looks to me like he's getting ready for his "digital" exam for prostate trouble and colon cancer screen.
BD, glad you're in N.C. not in Texas. My arms are just too short to reach.:aetsch: :biggrin:
John Pickett:captain:

txulrich
2006-10-20, 14:17
So Brian,

How's school coming? You get any snow up there yet?

BTW, I LOVE my deluxe!!

ShakeyLeggs
2006-10-20, 20:59
Brian I hope school is going well. I didn't buy my Deluxe off you but I just want to say I love it. Great product. Thanks for making them.:adore:

brian
2006-10-21, 02:40
Thanks for the kind comments! No time to write a nice long reply right now (1:45AM), as I have an all day regatta tomorrow on Lake Ontario, so I need to get some sleep! I will try and keep everyone updated once and a while, so if I don't get to it in a day or two, somebody just shoot me a PM and I'll get on it;-).

Brian
U of Rochester 2010

bird dog
2006-10-23, 09:06
Lucky for both of us JP. Brian, Glad to hear school is going well. Im not usually a groveller, but Im taking a pounding here. So, when you get the time, could I please, get a MacCat Deluxe? Please? BD

(How's that Turk and JJ?)

Just Jeff
2006-10-23, 11:54
Wha? Huh? Somebody say something? I was sleeping under my....oh. Yeah, that sounds good, bird dog. Not quite groveling and I'm sure you could do better :D but maybe it'll get you a tarp.

bird dog
2006-10-23, 12:33
Wha? Huh? Somebody say something? I was sleeping under my....oh. Yeah, that sounds good, bird dog. Not quite groveling and I'm sure you could do better :D but maybe it'll get you a tarp.

Thanks for the, uh, vote of confidence Jeff. BD