PDA

View Full Version : Filters/Backpackers Pumpfight= My new Katadyn!

bodiak
2006-10-16, 22:28
During a 7 day hike in the Adirondacks last year I decided to film a pumpfight between my Pur filter and my hiking buddy's MSR (link below).....set to the music from the final gunfight in " The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly". He won, and on a lark, I sent the video to MSR. Well, they sent a copy to Katadyn(Pur), and a few weeks later I got an e-mail from the head of Katadyns' Creative Department. They loved it so much around the office that they decided to send me their newest and fastest pump, the Guide Pro, in appreciation, and in the hopes I'd film a rematch. Later he asked my permission to use it in in-house meetings as an example of what can be done creatively on a low budget. He said they might use it commercialy, and if they do, they'll pay me! How cool is that? Anyway, it is the fastest pump I've ever used....35seconds to fill a nalgene bottle! During a weeklong canoe trip to Killarney Park here in Ontario this July, I filmed enough clips to start working on the sequel, which I'll put to music from the gunfight in "Once Upon a Time in the West" Hope you enjoy this bit of silliness!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjOFUteQK0g

Mutinousdoug
2006-10-16, 23:36
Great video!
But I couldn't really see who won.
I have one of the old Katadin filters made of aluminum and concrete or something (22oz or so). I keep wishing it would break down so i could justify buying something lighter. And faster...
[makes gargling sound]
Welcome to the site.

Skidsteer
2006-10-16, 23:49
That was pretty funny.

I was chuckling to myself thinking of the reaction non-hikers would have to it.

:dontknow::boring:

:biggrin:

SGT Rock
2006-10-16, 23:52
Classic - very funny.

bird dog
2006-10-17, 00:09
Great video Bodiak. Cant wait for your next "gear review". BD

Turk
2006-10-17, 00:10
Beautiful. Very funny. Well executed joke :biggrin:

sailingsoul
2006-10-17, 01:22
bravo....BRAVO :congrats:

bodiak
2006-10-17, 06:36
Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou......:adore:

SCmoose
2006-10-17, 20:34
That was cool!

zydeholic
2006-10-18, 18:10
That was great. Perhaps you should name the next one "Fist Full of Nalgene", sort of a Mountain House Spaghetti Western.

bodiak
2006-10-19, 21:30
Ok, I'll show another video, guys. 'Gather round the campfire........this is a vid of me climbing Mt Colden, to the music from the scene where Eli Wallach is running around the graveyard looking for a gravestone. If you don't know what I'm talking about, then it's just a guy ealking uphill..... I made a few vids like these over the last couple of years, using just my Pentax Optio 80WR, in my opinion the best digital hiking camera, both in ruggedness and water resistance, except it's only 3Mp, and the movies are all only 320x240
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TS3Nwsy82zk

bird dog
2006-10-19, 22:02
Where is Mt Colden? BD

bodiak
2006-10-19, 22:49
In the High Peaks region of the Adirondacks, upper New York State. 4714ft

GGS
2006-10-20, 01:17
Ok, I'll show another video, guys. 'Gather round the campfire........this is a vid of me climbing Mt Colden, to the music from the scene where Eli Wallach is running around the graveyard looking for a gravestone. If you don't know what I'm talking about, then it's just a guy ealking uphill..... I made a few vids like these over the last couple of years, using just my Pentax Optio 80WR, in my opinion the best digital hiking camera, both in ruggedness and water resistance, except it's only 3Mp, and the movies are all only 320x240
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TS3Nwsy82zk
Awesome! I've always loved that tune, song "The Ecstasty of Gold" from "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly". Very haunting tune. Excellent artistic use! Love that video!

dropkick
2006-10-20, 01:52
Cool videos but my dial up connection sucks for watching them.
(very few choices where I live, and I'm to cheap to go with satellite)

hoodoo40
2006-10-21, 10:07
Excellent flicks, enjoyed them, including the Adirondack Adventure.

Thanks, John :beer: