PDA

View Full Version : whatzitt stove

incognito
2006-10-18, 19:28
All the right parts came together to make up this combination stove. Help me come up with a name for it.
I made it with an aluminum bottle "Snapple Energy" drink.
A can from a can of chicken in water.
A piece of fiberglass wick.
I JB welded the can to the bottom of the bottle, inserted the wick into the can, poured in 2 cups of water, lit it, 7.25 min later I had a rolling boil. Water temperature at the start was 70 degrees. Air temperature was 58 degrees.

I used 1/2 ounce of fuel.

Total weight for the combination stove with integral pot = 110 grams/3.8 ounces.

I know this design goes against stove making pricipals, the one that says you don't want the flames to go out from under the pot bottom and up the sides. Well this one shows how those hot flames on the side of your pot can really be an asset.
Ive test burned this one at least 25 times, why does'nt the ink burn off ?

I'll be tweaking this one and taking it to the drawing table for further action.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/obijiwa/spookcamp034.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/obijiwa/spookcamp033.jpg

Turk
2006-10-18, 20:40
the ink doesnt burn off, for the same reason you can boil water in a paper cup.
You cant get anywhere near the flashpoint.

neat stove idea.

sailingsoul
2006-10-18, 23:00
Cool, this could seed some great postings. Turks' got my vote on the paint issue. Definitely the product of a mind capable thinking outside the box. A fact reinforced by the use of the paper towel back drop. Q: Can it rightly be called a stove? By virtue of some cooking chores, this design might not perform . :dontknow: (ie: fry a fish, steak) That might be reflected in its name . Hell of a way to make a "cup" of coffee/cocoa..., on the go. The possible uses are many. A hiker could come across a frozen maiden and receive unspoken gratitude for producing a cup of HOT beverage, in a flash. Talk about making a impression. It might just knock her sox's off . As for possible name?? I'll have to think about that. Keep up the good work. I like it. sailingsoul :captain:

SGT Rock
2006-10-19, 01:38
Very cool idea, but it probably doesn't heat that well though.

dropkick
2006-10-19, 01:45
If you leave the lid on and get it hot enough, you could call it the super explodostove.

This could work great heating the water for cozy meals.

incognito
2006-10-19, 19:24
I've been looking for those freezing maidens every time I'm on the trails(and off for that matter) Turk is sure to make one of these, knocking their socks off is a good start says he:beer:

This stove-----lets not call it a stove!!!!!!

Lets call it an elemental unit. It's only good for boling water in 7 1/4 min. with 1/2 ounce of fuel.

Raise the wick up so that it sticks up about 1/2 inch and add 20ml/2/3 ounce of denatured and you get a 4 min. boil. Thats not too shabby!!!!!!!!(I know alot of you are skeptical a bout that, but thats expected):bootyshak

This is not a stove , it's a creation.

The first time i put the fire to it it melted the plastic piece that the cap screws onto. I had to remove it, so now the cap just sits there loose and jiggles when the water comes to a rolling boil.

I have an aluminum bottom that I will use to make another unit tomorrow.

Turk, I like the reason you stated for the non burn of the ink.

Subject change------I made a stove using a canteen that is saucer shaped. JB welded a steel screw on cap to the aluminum canteen. After two burn tests the JB weld failed. Both surfaces were degreased and surface roughed up with 150 grit paper. Anybody experience failures with JB?

Turk
2006-10-19, 19:42
idea...

what if you took a larger drink can. I am thinking like the large size
Jolt Cola Aluminum cans, perhaps you have seen them. Cut the bottom off
and make the top diameter aprox 1/2" larger than your current container
spout. Drill some holes only around the bottom. Use it as the windscreen
to this new stove/container combo.

You would basically have an inside-out kelly kettle. A close fitting windscreen
that follows aprox the same contours of the bottle and tapers inward toward
the spout would really jack those boil times and block wind.

Skidsteer
2006-10-19, 20:43
Subject change------I made a stove using a canteen that is saucer shaped. JB welded a steel screw on cap to the aluminum canteen. After two burn tests the JB weld failed. Both surfaces were degreased and surface roughed up with 150 grit paper. Anybody experience failures with JB?

Yes.

JB has tensile strength problems-kinda like concrete.

It won't burn per se at temps below the 550 degree rating but rapid heating and cooling can cause a crack to form the same way freezing and thawing works on concrete or asphalt. Once the crack starts it's just a matter of time.

The solution for concrete is to add 'reinforcement', traditionally steel, to strenghten the mix. Recently though, concrete has become available that uses very fine short strands of fiberglass for the reinforcement. The theory is that if mixed well enough the fiberglass strands form a chain link effect through the mix and solve the tensile problems.

Fiberglass strands.

Knowing your love for fiberglass wicks, I'll bet you can figure out the rest from here.:wink:

Personally I only use JB Weld for conveniences like keeping something centered. I ask myself, "If every epoxy joint in this stove failed all at the same time could I still use the stove?" If the answer is no, I'll go back to the drawing board.

incognito
2006-10-19, 23:18
Going to use the jolt cola can like you said Turk, good idea!!!!!!

Skids, good info!!!!!!! I'll try to post a photo of the failure soon. I think it was the difference in the expansion of the two different types of metal, one working against the other type of thing. I have an aluminum screw top to try next when I can get toit:albertein On the other site you thought I did'nt have my lid screwed on tight, my wife tells me that all the time:elefant:

Skidsteer
2006-10-20, 07:35
Going to use the jolt cola can like you said Turk, good idea!!!!!!

Skids, good info!!!!!!! I'll try to post a photo of the failure soon. I think it was the difference in the expansion of the two different types of metal, one working against the other type of thing. I have an aluminum screw top to try next when I can get toit:albertein On the other site you thought I did'nt have my lid screwed on tight, my wife tells me that all the time:elefant:

I was wondering if you caught that. :biggrin:

My wife tells me the same. Must be a woman thing.

Turk
2006-10-20, 18:14
alright... was thinking some more on this inside-out kelly kettle, you've built...
or "kelly goes topless stove"... if you prefer. ...( "Kettles gone wild" ? )

I've got one of those rare moments in life... you know the ones..
(Kids at grandparents, no work, and the wife has managed to occupy herself.)

Tomorrow looks like a good day to try and build a SUL kelly kettle. I drank
2 of those foul nasty Jolt cola things, just to get the cans. My idea is to
combine the 23oz can in some way with a version of your heating elbow Hobo stove.
Will pit this against your alcohol model when you get it finished :biggrin:

Alachy Topless Kelly (ATK) vs. Hobo Kelly Naked (HKN)

incognito
2006-10-21, 17:47
Turk-----I like the ATK idea!!!!!!!

Could not find the Jolt cola cans that would fit around the base. Got sidetracked, went wild on my thoughts. Started thinking of a way to use the pot to carry water. Went through my STUFF and found this Brunton 1.0 litre water flask. It holds 4 cups of water, so I chose to work with it so I could carry my water in it, heat the water in it, use 2 cups of the water for my Rahmen noodles and the remaining 2 cups for hot chocolate.

Scrounged, found an aluminum cup the right size for the base, put the fiberglass cloth in, 35ml of denatured/1 oz.+, 13.5 min. later, 4 cups of water at rolling boil.

Had to try the windscreen idea Turk. Made one out of al flashing that is 10 in. high with 1/2 inch holes at its base, fits close to ATK base. Thought I'd try to capture some of the heat going out the top so I put on a 2 cup capacity pot. After ten min. of heating it was at a rapid boil and the top two cups of water got to 140 degrees.(good enough to wash my hands) So, thats 4 cups of water boiled in 10 min. Thats 2 1/2 min. per cup, not too shabby. The windscreen knocked off 3 1/2 min. of the boil time. I did this test only once, and find this hard to grasp. Need to do more burn tests. Will report as soon as tmore tests are made. Never did test a windscreen around the snapple bottle.

Some thoughts led me to preventing the plastic threads on the snapple bottle from melting so it could be used to carry water also. I made a round split collar to act as a heat shield, you can see in the second and third photos, bottle on the right. Used .005 anodized aluminum sheet to make it. It's thin stuff, bout the thickness of red hair. Success, it worked!!!!!, tried several burn tests, no meltdown.

Where do we go from here?

Skidds-----I may try to add fiberglass to JB someday just for the heck of it:albertein

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/obijiwa/element.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/obijiwa/element001.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/obijiwa/element004.jpg

Mutinousdoug
2006-10-21, 19:06
More fascinating work, Inco.
Do you think the boiling water from the lower bottle is cooling the heated air going to the upper pot? If you had some sort of teapot cap on the lower bottle to direct the h20 vapor away or at least to one side of the upper pot could you get more heat into it? (and to whistle at you when it was done)

Lanthar
2006-10-23, 11:08
wow, that ATK is shaping up nicely (I prefer the HNK term, but you're the inventor, so you get to pick ;) )

Anywhoo... I was thinking about the whole 'carrying' your water with you and I remembered the Klean Kanteen (http://www.kleankanteen.com/2products/klean-kanteen-27oz.html) as it may be less expensive than a brunton bottle (then again it may not).

One thing I love is that, this system can 'boil' 4 cups of water for a meal AND get 2 cup plenty hot for hot chocolate (though maybe not hot enough to brew coffee). I wonder if I could make a kettle that my SP600 could nest around that I could then use as you used your 2-cup pot above... dinner and drink in one fell swoop...

Hmmm...