PDA

View Full Version : sleeping bag liners

dropkick
2006-10-22, 07:19
I was reading a short article on fleece sleeping bag liners which started me thinking (an odd occurance but true). My experience with fleece liners (1 purchased, 1 homemade) has been that I was warmer just using my old percale sheet liner instead.

Used as a blanket the fleece is warmer, but not as a liner.

This seems odd to me, as you would think the fleece having more loft would be warmer.

On the other hand I prefer to sleep in only my briefs or a pair of shorts, no matter what the weather, so maybe it has something to do with wicking away body moisture.

Maybe it has something to do with Iceman's evaporativepickapeckofpickledpepperscondensationes s .

What's your thoughts on this?

dgrav
2006-10-22, 09:37
I once took just a fleece bag liner on a July weekend trip in PA and FROZE. It dropped into the 50s at night and I think I would have been warmer with a few newspapers thrown over me.

I seem to remember that I felt fairly damp despite it being a dry weekend.

bodiak
2006-10-22, 10:11
The only reason I don't like fleece liners is that I have to fumble with 2 sets of zippers at 3 in the morning as my bladder prepares to explode. And of course, the liner gets twisted inside the bag making it that much more difficult

Iceman
2006-10-22, 10:22
Maybe it has something to do with Iceman's evaporativepickapeckofpickledpepperscondensationes s .

What's your thoughts on this?

:bootyshak

Who knows, maybe you tried the cooling bag, not the warming bag. :biggrin:

I just got back from my muley hunt, 9 nights in my bag, but did not get cold enough at night to try out my new vapor liner. Elk season, nine nights in November should change that.....

Iceman
2006-10-22, 10:26
The only reason I don't like fleece liners is that I have to fumble with 2 sets of zippers at 3 in the morning as my bladder prepares to explode. And of course, the liner gets twisted inside the bag making it that much more difficult

Hey Bodiak, cut your zipper stress :afraid: in half by packing a big ol' gatorade bottle for a night time bladder saving urinal in the tent. (Especially handy if raining at night.) Just make sure you pick a big enough bottle, or you may have trouble on your hands. :ahhhhh:

Iceman
2006-10-22, 10:33
I once took just a fleece bag liner on a July weekend trip in PA and FROZE. It dropped into the 50s at night and I think I would have been warmer with a few newspapers thrown over me.

I seem to remember that I felt fairly damp despite it being a dry weekend.

With temps in the 50's, and too thin of a bag, your evapoventicondenrespitranspopiruwhatever rate is very near the skin...remember, your body will seep out a pint or more of water at night trying to keep skin humidity levels up.... too thin a bag, and evaporation will occur near your body having a cooling effect.

Newpapers may have actually worked, retaining more body moisture, and reducing evapowhatever...

bodiak
2006-10-22, 11:19
Hey Bodiak, cut your zipper stress :afraid: in half by packing a big ol' gatorade bottle for a night time bladder saving urinal in the tent. (Especially handy if raining at night.) Just make sure you pick a big enough bottle, or you may have trouble on your hands. :ahhhhh:

Yeah, I've done that on occasion, mostly when the weather's bad. In the winter, stuff it in a sock afterwards, and you have an effective foot warmer!

dropkick
2006-10-22, 19:29

I actually considered getting this sleeping bag untill I noticed it didn't have a fly. Or soles for the feet. Or the ability to keep you very warm. Or a weapons system to use on any of my fellow hikers if they saw me in it.

bag location (www.thecoolhunter.net/lifestyle/SELKBAG/)
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r93/dropkick_photos/bag.jpg

dropkick
2006-10-22, 19:34
Check this one out, another idea for a ambulatory sleeping bag. -With a fly.
www.colitz.com/site/4507805/4507805f.htm

Turk
2006-10-22, 22:05
I actually considered getting this sleeping bag untill I noticed it didn't have a fly. Or soles for the feet. Or the ability to keep you very warm. Or a weapons system to use on any of my fellow hikers if they saw me in it.

DK that looks pretty awesome! Any specs on it?
Looks like it could rival my FF rock wren in mobility.

dropkick
2006-10-23, 01:50
Turk
Check the link above the picture "bag location" or do a search for Selk'
-no fly though-
Why not just go with a bunny suit? Easier to get on and off, more access to body parts, pockets, less bulk, sturdier, warmer.

KLeth
2006-10-23, 08:54
They should make one in reindeer, moose or bearskin, but then it should probably be lined with steel and kevlar . . . . Or you might find yourself dead and strapped on the top of Icemans car . . . :bandit:

The old NATO-sleeping bags that I have a few of somewhere are designed to be both jacket and sleeping bag. Even nearly waterproof due to the rubbercoated outer shell. Always had to sleep in them as jacket since my boots were too big to allow me to enter the bag fully.

We are using normal but light sleeping bags, that we in cold areas line with light fleece liners to keep us warm. I never bring mine since wooly underwear, and in extreeme conditions powerstretch, is enough for me.