PDA

View Full Version : Mapping software:anyone tried any?

fireboy
2006-10-24, 12:46
I'm thinking about buying some mapping software and was wondering if anyone had used either DeLorme 6.0 or National Geographic (or any other)? I will be using it mostly to make maps,but gps compatablity would be a plus. Or would I be better off going with a website? Thanks for any help.

Mutinousdoug
2006-10-24, 17:54
I use the marginal mapping software that came with my Magellan Sportrak. Website software like Terraserver and Google Earth are OK but you have to put waypoints into your GPS manually which is tedious and the resolution varys from adequate to poor. TOPO! is Nat Geo, I think, and seems to be universally liked and I think lets you plot a route and download the waypoints directly to your GPS. (I could be wrong about this and hope someone with more expertise chimes in.) I think DeLorme is similar. Their respective websites should say.
The one that works best with your GPS may not be the best at making maps for you.

Take-a-knee
2006-10-24, 20:25
I have the National Geo software for my state and I like it a lot. One of the discs with the set crashed a couple of years after I bought it and I called the company and they promptly sent a replacement.

jimtanker
2006-10-24, 21:17
I have Delorme Topo USA 5.0 and I like it alot. Lots of great features. I also got Mapsourse for my GPS. I wish that Topo would be able to interface better with my GPS. I couldnt upload maps to it with Topo.

Iceman
2006-10-25, 01:21
I also own the nationaol geographic...love it. Very cool.

fireboy
2006-10-25, 10:42
Anyone have experience with both? I'm having a hard time trying to pick one. I can get the delorme 6.0 east U.S for 40 bucks,or I can get Na. Geo. for 90 bucks for three states.

Hollowdweller
2006-11-20, 22:07
I'm not sure but my friend Mike I think might be able to help.

You could reach him at his website and see some of his maps

www.midatlantichikes.com

Tell him Capt. Kirk sent you!:biggrin: