PDA

View Full Version : After retirement job

SGT Rock
2006-10-28, 15:03
Hey y'all. Doing some job searching for a job that I can move into after I retire and finish my thru-hike. Searching for Federal jobs in the are I live I found this baby:

http://jobsearch.usajobs.opm.gov/getjob.asp?JobID=49305297&brd=3876&AVSDM=2006%2D10%2D24+00%3A01%3A02&q=park+service&sort=rv&vw=d&Logo=0&FedPub=Y&caller=%2Fagency%5Fsearch%2Easp&pg=4&FedEmp=N&ss=0&TabNum=5&rc=6

Basically a job shooting wild hogs in the Great Smoky Mountain National Park. With my Army retirement, and the salary here, I should be back to about what I make when not in a combat zone.

Lone Wolf
2006-10-28, 15:18
And you get to hike. And eat pork.:beer:

Turk
2006-10-28, 15:30
woh.!! Bush and bacon. now .... If somehow this involved beer...
well I just don't think they would have to pay me.

Nice find.

Crazy americans.

SGT Rock
2006-10-28, 15:37
Whiskey. I may even be able to put a few stashed bottles on the trail for the right kind of folks to find shhhh!

But yes. I could use 21 years of experience in setting in OPs and ambushes to get me a few porkies. Doing a good thing for the park and getting to move about freely in the GSMNP area without needing a bunch of permits. And getting paid on top of all that.

What a way to work out some PTSD :D

Mutinousdoug
2006-10-28, 18:16
I think I saw this job described on a Discovery channel program a few years ago. The guy they interviewed said the only two things he didn't like about the job were:
1) Under no circumstances were you allowed to eat your vict...CLIENTS. (At least this was the line you were required to adhere to when asked about your job by civilians on the trail. So you are like, undercover.
2) The job required you to dig a hole and bury your clients. Dragging them away from the traps and digging a hole deep enough to discourage bears was a drag.
Going all Deliverance out there didn't seem to come up.
Sounds like the perfect job for an old Grunt.

Take-a-knee
2006-10-28, 18:24
That is way cool, I've read that they do most of the culling at night, using night-vision gear and suppressed rifles, how cool is that!?

TeeDee
2006-10-28, 21:09
Sgt Rock - I don't mean to be negative, but...

I understand that retired military working federal jobs get a reduced military pension. A retired Navy Captain (Subs, nuclear engineering degree from Annapolis) lives in my neighborhood and works for Department of Energy. I understand he is getting a reduced pension from the one very short conversation we had on the subject a few years back.

Not too sure if this is still true, but if you haven't factored that in, you may want to check.

But then the job just might be enough fun to compensate.

Take-a-knee
2006-10-28, 23:20
Negative on the reduced pension, unless this is a new Bushism. If you retire with 20yrs active duty and go to work for the Fed Gov, your military time counts to some degree towards retirement with your new job. When you are eligble to retire from the second job, your RETIREMENT PAY is offset by the amount of your retired military pay. IE, you retire from the military on $1500mo. Your retirement from the second job is $2000, you just draw the $2000, not both.

Just Jeff
2006-10-29, 00:59
Military retirement pay used to be reduced if you took a civil service job. I think it changed in 2000 or thereabouts when the govt realized the military retirees were taking contractor jobs and the govt was paying to train brand new civil service guys for the same job. Just didn't make sense.

But if my retirement pay is gonna be reduce, it still doesn't make sense. Why not take a state govt or contractor job and get two full retirements? Looks like the govt is still providing me a disincentive to give back all my training...let 'em train the new guys, pay me double as a contractor, and give me full retirement. Some day they'll learn. Maybe.

SGT Rock
2006-10-29, 01:43
Yes, as I remember it, you only got a reduced pension if you made something like over $160K, and I am not in any danger of getting that close. They recently also got rid of the program that reduced retirement because of a disability. So if I get out and they decide I get a 20% or 40% disability from my service, I get a check for that over my retirement.

Frolicking Dino
2006-10-29, 07:44
The male dino retired from the USAF and worked for TVA afterward. It did not reduce his retirement. My BIL is retired from the Army and is a civilian cryptographer at the Pentagon. This does not reduce his retirement pay.

BTW, Rock, did you see this page on the federal site? http://jobsearch.usajobs.opm.gov/veteranscenter/

jimtanker
2006-10-29, 09:15
Backpacks (approx. 60 pounds of supplies and equipment)

Obviously those guys dont subscribe to lightwieght backpacking!

Just Jeff
2006-10-29, 10:15
Yeah, but I bet Rock could get that down. Probably even improvise a silnylon rifle and shovel. Maybe some DWR NVGs.

bird dog
2006-10-30, 18:07
Once you get the job, if you need an assistant (without a MacCat) let me know, Im your man. :bandit:
BD

Pappyhighlife
2006-11-01, 13:24
Yeah Top, that's the dream job right there, I will be daydreaming about that gig for weeks now.

Hey, me and the Bird Dogster are not far from there if they don't let us help we can just tag along for the hump. Seen some big black bears from afar in that neck of the woods, gonna wear out that HH.

5 continous days in all kinds of weather, now thats what im talking about

bird dog
2006-11-01, 23:00
Yeah Top, that's the dream job right there, I will be daydreaming about that gig for weeks now.

Hey, me and the Bird Dogster are not far from there if they don't let us help we can just tag along for the hump. Seen some big black bears from afar in that neck of the woods, gonna wear out that HH.

5 continous days in all kinds of weather, now thats what im talking about

Sounds fun Pappy. I'll bring the thunder and you can take your pick - MP-5, M4 with EOTECH sights, or a Wetherby 300 MAG. Ive got others, but those would be the most fun, errr effective. :bandit:

Dont forget to bring Jack, and I'll bring the Moon Pies! :beer:

BD

SGT Rock
2006-11-02, 14:36
You gotta love this job, the description is cool enough I love to go back and read it over and over again:

MAJOR DUTIES:

The purpose of the position is to conduct and/or assist in various routine wildlife management projects, particularly wild hog control. This includes monitoring projects related to determining the activities, movements, population status, capture, removal, processing, transport and/or euthanasia of selected wildlife. Utilizes traps to capture and firearms to effectively shoot and/or humanely euthanize wildlife according to established guidelines. Following instructions and standardized procedures, incumbent collects and organizes field data and biological samples, administers marking devices (i.e., ear tags, tattoos, etc.) to selected wildlife and ensures adequate quality controls of the data, samples and markings. Backpacks (approx. 60 pounds of supplies and equipment) and hikes (up to 15 miles daily) into remote mountainous areas, establishes primitive campsites, and camps alone for up to five continuous days in a variety of weather conditions. Installs, inspects, cleans, operates, and maintains resource management equipment (e.g., tools, traps, firearms, etc). Serves as an emergency team member for search and rescue, forest fire suppression activities, and in other emergency capacities as needed.

Too cool for words.

QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Applicants for this position must meet the basic experience or education requirements stated below. For equivalent combinations of education and experience refer to OPM's Operating Manual, Qualifications Standards for General Schedule Positions, available in any Federal personnel office.
EXPERIENCE: One year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-4 grade level. Experience must have been related to the work of the position for which application is made. The specialized experience required for some positions in the series is normally work performed in a controlled environment. Examples of qualifying specialized experience include:
Activities related to controlling, removing, euthanizing, and harvesting, hunting, free-ranging wild animals with firearms as part of an authorized state, federal, or government approved private animal control program. Also, activities involved in any legal recreational hunting program.
Utilize traps, cages, baits, trailers, restraining devices to capture, handle, and/or transport large animals.
OR

Successful completion of a full 4-year course of study leading to a bachelor's degree with major study or at least 24 semester hors in any combination of courses such as biology, chemistry, statistics, entomology, animal husbandry, botany, physic, agriculture, or mathematics. AT LEAST 6 SEMESTER HOURS MUST HAVE BEEN DIRECTLY RELATED TO THE POSITION TO BE FILLED.
COLLEGE TRANSCRIPT IS NEEDED TO DETERMINE QUALIFICATIONS BASED ON EDUCATION. PLEASE PROVIDE WITH THE APPLICATION PACKAGE.

HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:

BASIS OF RATING: Applicants who meet the basic qualification requirements for the position will be assigned a numerical score of 70. The experience, education and training of qualified candidates will be further evaluated to determine their possession of specific Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSAs) specific to the position being filled. The KSA's have been incorporated into task statements which are contained in a SUPPLEMENTAL QUALIFICATIONS STATEMENT below. These task statements have been incorporated into a rating schedule which will be used to rate each application and assign a score of 70 to 100. Qualified candidates will be assigned a score between 70 and 100, not including points (5 or 10) that may be added for veteran's preference.
Please note: If a determination is made that you have rated yourself higher than is supported by your description of experience in your application/resume, a score will manually be determined that reflects your total experience as it relates to the knowledge, skill and ability requirements of the position.
FAILURE TO PROVIDE THE SUPPLEMENTAL QUALIFICATION STATEMENT WILL RESULT IN YOUR NOT RECEIVING CONSIDERATION FOR THIS POSITION.
Biological Science Technician, GS-0404-05 GRSM07DE02
SUPPLEMENTAL QUALIFICATIONS STATEMENT
For each of the following task statements, choose the statement from the ranking criteria below that best describes your experience and/or training relative to that task. Write the appropriate letter next to each task statement. Select only one letter for each task statement. Be sure to give yourself full credit for each area, but do not 'over-rate' your training, knowledge, or experience. Your answers will be verified against the information you provide in the work experience blocks on your resume' or application (attach additional pages if necessary) and any information your references provide. A false statement on any part of your application may be grounds for not hiring you or for firing you after you begin work. Also, in accordance with U.S. Code, Title 18, Section 1001, you may be subject to a fine or imprisonment. Therefore, carefully enter information that accurately reflects your employment history and educational background.
RANKING CRITERIA
A = I know little or nothing about this.
B = I have had study or training in this.
C = I have performed this task, but my work was closely supervised and/or reviewed.
D = I have performed this task independently.
E = I am considered an expert in performing this task. I have supervised others in performance of this task or am normally the person who is consulted by other workers to assist them in doing this task because of my expertise.
TASK STATEMENTS
AFTER EACH TASK STATEMENT, INDICATE THE PARAGRAPH/SECTION/PAGE NUMBER OF YOUR APPLICATION THAT DESCRIBES HOW AND WHEN YOU OBTAINED THIS EXPERIENCE LEVEL.
A. Ability to utilize firearms to harvest and euthanize animals
_____1. Utilize firearms as part of an authorized state, federal or government approved private animal control program that controls big game animals. Experience obtained ___________

_____2. Utilize firearms as part of an authorized state or federally approved animal control program that controls hybrid European wild hogs in a wilderness areas. Experience obtained ______________

_____3. Experience in serving as a professional marksman as part of an authorized state or federal animal control program that shoots wild hogs in remote mountainous areas heavily utilized by the general public. Experience obtained ___________

_____4. Utilize ethical hunting methods to legally harvest wild large mammals.Experience obtained ____________________

_____5. Used firearms to legally and successfully hunt/shoot and humanely euthanize big game animals (e.g., bear, boar, deer, turkey, elk, etc.). Experience obtained _______________

_____6. Used a shotgun to successfully and legally hunt/shoot and humanely euthanize big game animals. Experience obtained _________________

_____7. Used a shotgun to successfully and legally hunt/shoot and humanely euthanize hybrid European wild hogs.

_____8. Used a large caliber rifle to successfully and legally hunt/shoot and humanely euthanize big game animals.

_____9. Used a large caliber rifle to successfully and legally hunt/shoot and humanely euthanize hybrid European wild hogs. Experience obtained _______________________

_____10. Used a pistol to humanely euthanize trapped wild animals. Experience obtained __________________________

_____11. Used a large caliber pistol to humanely euthanize trapped hybrid European wild hogs. Experience obtained __________

_____12. Used a sound suppressed firearm to successfully and legally still hunt/shoot big game animals. Experience obtained ______________

_____13. Used sound suppressed firearm to successfully and legally still hunt/shoot hybrid European wild hogs. Experience obtained ____________

_____14. Used artificial lighting (spotlight) and/or night vision goggles to successfully and legally still hunt/shoot big game animals. Experience obtained _____________________

_____15. Used artificial lighting (spotlight) and/or night vision goggles to successfully and legally still hunt/shoot hybrid European wild hogs. Experience obtained _______________

_____16. Experience in harvesting/euthanizing large numbers of, at least, three different species of big game wild animals within the past 10 years. Experience obtained ________________

_____17. Experience in harvesting/euthanizing numerous free-ranging hybrid European wild hogs within the past 10 years. Experience obtained ________

_____18. Humanely euthanized sick, injured and other wildlife according to approved methods by the American Veterinary Medical Association. Experience obtained _____________________

B. Hiking, backpacking and camping skills.
_____19. Experience in solo backpacking (carrying a minimum of 40 pounds of supplies and hiking at least 10 miles daily) in remote mountainous areas for extended (at least 5 nights) periods of time. Experience obtained ________________________

_____20. Experience in solo backpacking overnight in inclement weather conditions (high heat, freezing temperatures, rain, snow, severe lightning, etc.) in remote mountainous areas. Experience obtained ______________________

_____21. Ability to establish and maintain low impact primitive camps areas for extended (at least 5 nights) periods of time. Experience obtained ___________________________

C. Ability to utilize motorized vehicles.
_____22. Experience operating four-wheel drive vehicles and ATV’s in “off road” and hazardous conditions (i.e., snow, ice, etc.) in mountainous terrain (paved, graveled and dirt). Experience obtained ___________________

_____23. Experience operating trucks while towing single or double axle trailers in mountainous terrain. Experience obtained ____________________

D. Ability to trap, handle and care for wild animals.

_____24. Experience in legally capturing/trapping European wild hogs as part of an authorized state,federal or state-approved private animal control program in wilderness or defacto wilderness areas. Experience obtained _______________

_____25. Experience in field dressing large mammals. Experience obtained ______________

_____26. Experience with scouting and identifying activity sign (tracks, scat, feeding activity, etc.) of black bears, wild hogs, white-tailed deer and turkey. Experience obtained ______________

_____27. Experience in scouting and identifying wild hog sign. Experience obtained _______________________

_____28. Experience in setting live traps (box, corral, culvert, snare, etc.) and capturing wild large mammals. Experience obtained _________________

_____29. Experience in setting live traps and capturing hybrid European wild hogs in remote wild areas. Experience obtained ____________________

_____30. Ability to repair live traps for large wild animals. Experience obtained ___________________

_____31. Experience in trapping numerous hybrid European wild hogs within the past 5 years. Experience obtained ___________

_____32. Experience in utilizing traps, cages, trailers and restraining devices to capture, handle and/or transport wild large mammals. Experience obtained _______________________

_____33. Utilize remote infrared cameras to monitor for large wild animal activity. Experience obtained __________________

_____34. Experience in baiting wild large mammals for the purpose of capture and euthanasia. Experience obtained _________
___________________________________ _________________
SIGNATURE DATE

bird dog
2006-11-02, 19:32
Ok Rock, now you have Household 6 worried. She is afraid Im going to quit my job and apply for this one. I told her not to worry, your a shoe in. BD:adore:

Seeker
2006-11-02, 23:22
i can see some burned out scout-sniper, fresh from his third tour in hell 1 or hell 2, working off some stress here... reminds me of a film clip i keep meaning to find and post here (long distance cal.50 shots in afghanistan... you can't even see the targets, and yet the guys are hitting them.)

a few years back, i ran into a mixed group of about 4-5 some college kids up on the AT in the GSMNP somewhere. shortly after nightfall, we heard shots and saw lights way down the hill, and they told me it was boar hunters. they were terrified of the thought of the hunters coming up closer to us. that started a discussion about culling, native species, and some other stuff... they couldn't understand why it was necessary to kill them off. wish i could have showed them the damage they can do to some of the endangered flora in the park in a night's foraging.

dixicritter
2006-11-02, 23:24
BD...Tell her welcome to my world...LOL.

Just Jeff
2006-11-02, 23:39
That's a pretty interesting video, Seeker. It's pretty impressive when you hear the shot....then...time passes...and you see it hit. Really brings home the distance to the target. (The mic is by the rifle so you hear the sound first.)

Imagine what that would do to a wild pig!

SGT Rock
2006-11-03, 04:19
I was reading throught the application. I have the minimum one year at GS4 level (I think) and I even have some of the college completed that they require. I reckon when I get back to the US I should change my major. Add my veterans points I start at 80 for the job (out of a max of 110 for military reciving a pension). If I figure out the scoring correctly, then I get another 40 points give or take. The only issue is do the consider shooting about 50 dogs while in Iraq as a part of my unit's program to reduce wild dogs in camp a Federal Program - and does using large calliber weapons, shotguns, pistols, and night vision in my job as a combat arms soldier qualify me as using them to shoot large animals.

Kea
2006-11-03, 09:56
Rock,

I believe that this is where the 'compelling cover letter' comes in. :)

Kea

bird dog
2006-11-03, 10:55
BD...Tell her welcome to my world...LOL.

Dixie, after 8 years in the militrary and in year six with a fairly large police department, I can say I truly understand what you go through (Im sure that it is similar to what my wife did when I was deployed, and now everytime I go to work). We all thank Rock for the sacrifices that he makes, but the military wife is often overlooked for all that she does - (Mom and dad, keeps the house, pays the bills, etc., etc., etc., - the list is waaaaaay to long to keep this up). :angel:

Anyway, I would like to say THANK YOU for all that you do. Without you and women like you, our soldiers could never be the warriors they are :bandit: and concentrate on their task at hand.

Rock, sorry but this one is about Dixie. Help me out here people, Dixie deserves some props! :adore: (I thought about making this a new thread, but figured it fit with Dixie's comment above so I left it here).

BD

Just Jeff
2006-11-03, 11:15
Yep - Dixie gets as much respect as Rock. Especially 'cause she's raising two BOYS while he's gone...

Pappyhighlife
2006-11-03, 11:47
Yep, behind every good man is a better women.
I know that cause my wife said it's true.

john pickett
2006-11-03, 13:01
"she's raising two BOYS while he's gone"
My wife, who reads over my shoulder, is of the opinion she will be raising Three boys when he returns. If I differed in My opinion, I would not be so indescreet as to say so while she was in the room.
John Pickett

Just Jeff
2006-11-03, 19:20
Smart man. Message received.

dixicritter
2006-11-03, 22:40
Thanks you guys! Y'all put a smile on my face and made me laugh out loud!

:beer:

SGT Rock
2006-11-04, 13:51
"she's raising two BOYS while he's gone"
My wife, who reads over my shoulder, is of the opinion she will be raising Three boys when he returns. If I differed in My opinion, I would not be so indescreet as to say so while she was in the room.
John Pickett

Does she mean me as the third kid?:damnmate:

Cause if she means there is another one on the way we got some fightin' to do when I get home.:boxing:

peter_pan
2006-11-04, 18:41

Cause if she means there is another one on the way we got some fightin' to do when I get home.:boxing:

Rock.... I recruit you for the "lost Boys"....NEVER GROW UP. :biggrin:

Pan

dixicritter
2006-11-04, 23:15

Not to worry dear. :wink: We already have three remember? One just flew the nest already...LOL

Rock.... I recruit you for the "lost Boys"....NEVER GROW UP. :biggrin:

Pan

Oh yeah, sure Pan, big help you are... :aetsch:
Just teasin.

john pickett
2006-11-06, 15:13
"Does she mean me as the third kid?"

Sarge,
My wife has never met you or Dixie, and doesn't even like camping or hiking; but after 32 years of marriage, she stills calls me her younger son.
John Pickett