PDA

View Full Version : Bodiaks' buddy...bear killer!

bodiak
2006-10-28, 16:54
I wasn't directly involved, but I wonder if you guys heard about this down in the States? (He was interviewed by Liddy on his radio show).
Anyway, one of my best buds, and a frequent canoeing partner(he doesn't hike, slacker), was on a portage in northern Ontario this July. He heard his dog Sam (Amstaff) growl, turned around and saw a bear approaching about 20ft behind them. Tom made himself appear as large as possible and shouted, the bear went into the bush about 10ft and outflanked them, reappearing about 30ft in front of them. Sam stood crosswise between them and the bear clamped down on his back. Tom had drawn his knife by then, and ran around behind the bear, jumped on it's back and started stabbing until the bear stopped moving. My small part in this was that I, being a more experienced outdoorsman than Tom, helped advise him on supplies for this solo trip,and had reccomended just before he left that he provide himself with a good knife, and went with him to pick one out (A Buck, 8in. blade).
Dog and master are ok now. After the bear was sent for testing, the Ministry of Natural resources sent him the front paws. He's getting one stuffed and mounted, and the other he's not sure what he'll do with it, but I suggested he feed it to Sam!
Now Tom is no publicity hound, but used the media coverage in his fight against a dangerous breed law passed here a while ago. Basically, the law says he should have had his dog muzzled, even in the middle of nowhere. If he had done that, the ending to this story could have been much different.

Take-a-knee
2006-10-28, 18:28
I known a lot of people who've done a lot of way out things but I've never met anybody that can say they've killed a bear with a Buck knife.

Turk
2006-10-28, 23:07
craazy..
where/when did this take place man?

bodiak
2006-10-29, 01:04
Happened up near Wawa in the middle of July...here's a link to a news report posted by Tom on the Free Republic forum....explains it in better detail than I did.....http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/1670661/posts

Turk
2006-10-29, 01:02
crazy. How did I not hear about this??!
I mean my family lives RIGHT there. Can't see how my dad
would not bring this up in conversation. Perhaps it was overshadowed
by the rogue wolf attack at kathrines cove... or perhaps I am finally
tuning out his lengthly ramblings of microscopic town politics.
Very strange. Really hits you, when you are talking about my home turf.
The only thing I can't figure out.... where was he portaging to?
I know the area VERY well. Can't immediately grasp what route he was taking for 12 days.

Incredible story. Hope your friend and his dog are alright.

SGT Rock
2006-10-29, 01:45
Now if Canadians could have handguns too, then he could have stood back and shot at it instead of having to jump on it and do a rodeo kill. Instead of campaigning against dog laws, maybe he should have campaigned against handgun laws.

Turk
2006-10-29, 02:07
So based on the article.
The attack took place on the 20th of July. If this guy was 4 days in
on a 12 day run. I can only surmise he was doing some kind of
crazy "Upper-Upper-upper Sand river" triple crown. If he was solo..
and my guess is correct, that he was heading for sand lake and
down through all the way to hwy 17... that is pretty damn impressive
in itself.

What is more staggering is that he actually ran across people?!?!?
What was anyone doing way out in god forsaken abbey lake?
That is a god given miracle there. Talk about divine intervention.

Friends of mine were running upper sand that same weekend.
I wasnt around, couldnt get time off. But they would have been
putting in at mile 134 1/4. So on thursday of the attack, they
couldnt have been further than the headwaters at Sand lake.
So close, yet so far I believe the saying goes.

Again, ... miracle is he found help. amazing. thanks for sharing.
http://www.ehko.info/HQ_map_wawa_region

bodiak
2006-10-29, 10:54
I had a copy of his map and itinary at one time, but I guess it got deleted at some point.
Some of my friends call me "adventureman" for my propensity for trying a lot of different activities, much I'm sure, like a lot of the people posting here (see bio). Tom has earned the name "misadventureman" among us. The reason? The year before this little event, he was canoeing down the White River in Pukaskwa Park, solo with dog, and wrapped his canoe around a rock in the middle of a small set of rapids, and had to be rescued by helicopter. Again, he was fortunate enough to run into some other caoeists, one of whom had a satellite phone. This year while going back up north to retrieve his canoe, he busted the axle on his van in the middle of nowhere. Three years ago he lost his wallet when he capsized while canoeing the lazy Nith River. A year before that, he was walking the Bruce Trail, took a break at the side of the trail, and upon getting up, proceeded for about 3 hours to walk in the wrong direction!

john pickett
2006-10-29, 19:29
Bodiak,
Here in the states, we have/had a cartoon character named Mr. Magoo who was always getting into scrapes because of his terrible eyesight. Now I know where his son lives.:aetsch:
John Pickett

bodiak
2006-10-29, 22:02
We had him here too, Jim Backus (Thurston Howell III) did the voice, I think

sailingsoul
2006-10-30, 14:21
One hell af a story . HAPPY to hear both tom and sam are fine.
I remember Mr Magoo ! Like most big american celebrities I heard he is Canadian too. That might explain alot. :rock: Canadians Rock

bird dog
2006-10-30, 18:01
Great story. Glad everything came out all right. How long did it take him to hit the trail again after that little episode? BD

bodiak
2006-10-30, 18:17
Great story. Glad everything came out all right. How long did it take him to hit the trail again after that little episode? BD

Actually, he hasn't. He suffered a deep cut on his right hand which made holding a paddle difficult for the rest of the summer. I've asked him how he thinks this will affect his enjoyment of the wilderness....will he jump at every sound in the bush? How long before he's able to truly relax out there?And what about coming across just a nuisance bear? How will Sam react? I've used the analogy of a woman being raped at night while on a stroll...would she ever be able to enjoy such a walk again? I don't know the answers, and neither does he, so he says. The two (three, with Sam) of us are planning a canoe trip next May or June, so I'll be able to observe his reactions. Logically, he stands about the same chance of being attacked by a rogue bear as he did before this incident, which is almost nil, but logic likely takes a back seat to emotion for someone who's experienced something like this

dropkick
2006-10-31, 00:41
I got run over by a hit and run driver who came out of a parking lot (I was on a motorbike). Spent a month in traction and about a year learning to walk again.
After only 20 years, I no longer have to fight a flinch when cars enter the road from my right, and I only get a little adrenal surge.

-strange thing is, I have no conscience memory of the accident (or most of the next 3 days)

bodiak
2006-10-31, 06:42
Ouch! About the same amount of time my wife spent in traction and learning to walk (hit while on a motorcycle)....Tom doesn't really rmember stabbing the bear, at least not how many times......says all he remembers is shouting "Die, you fu**er, die!"

bird dog
2006-10-31, 09:27
Trauma and adrenaline are an odd bird. As a police officer (with prior military), we often talk about and look at studies as it relates to deadly force situations. In such situations, the adrenal dump causes the officer to act as he was trained, or more specifically in a "primal survival mode". Everything seems to slow down and each movement feels as if it is grossly exaggerated. One of the first things to go is someones auditory response. Im told that officers who find themselves in a shooting situation often do not recall how many shots they fired (or have fired at them) because hearing is the first thing to go. After such experiences, officers fall into two distinct groups: those who remember every single detail of thier experience, or those who recall NOTHING of thier experience.

The vast majority of these officers are able to work again (after a lengthy investigation and psychological evaluation), but the day lives forever in thier minds.

I think that some of this applies to your friend, and from personal experience the best advice I can give is to be yourself and get him back to the woods as soon as you can. Im sure that your friend will one day visit the bush again, but it will be quite a different experience for him than for any of us.

It truly is an amazing story and I wish your friend all of the best. BD

Take-a-knee
2006-10-31, 15:34
BD, sounds like you've been reading Massad Ayoob...time well spent!

bodiak
2006-10-31, 17:42
Bird Dog, thanks for your insight based on your own experience. Police officers, military men....now YOU guys know adrenaline! In the last 5 years I've hang-glided, skydived, mountain climbed, gone whitewater kayaking, and many other purportedly high-risk activities, so I know something about the rush. However, all my adrenaline rushes have been recreational in nature, and I would not presume to compare it to what you guys may go through. Last big one was 2 yrs ago. Lost my footing while climbing a frozen waterfall in a snowsquall. Tore one anchor out so I fell about 15ft. What's interesting are the withdrawal symptoms, and the actual physical craving that comes during the next week. Powerful, powerful drug it is.
I have passed on all of your well-wishes, and Tom is appreciative.